It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 07:45 AM   #1

kellyandrea HB User
Never been to the Dentist..

..And now it's nipping me in the butt.

So I have this molar that has 1/4 of it missing and it's all black in that area. It may hurt when I have something really cold, but generally it doesn't at all. What's the treatment for this? I know sooner or later I'll have to do something about it since it's not like that part of my tooth is just going to "regrow". I also have cavities, but again, nothing really hurts (but I'm thinking they will).

So would the tooth be pulled? Capped? When does one need a root canal? If I don't go to the dentist, am I gonna get all diseased and die?

I also have severe anxiety issues which is why I've never been.. and am scared to go. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Dan_Sims HB User
Re: Never been to the Dentist..

kellyandrea, first how old are you?
Here's what i can tell you.
Go to the Dentist as soon as possible.
You have to get an Xray done.
The Xray will tell the dentist everything.
You get a root canal if you have a cavity and the cavity is hitting the nerve.
The fact you have alot of cavities.
I would go to the Dentist as soon as possible.
Once the dentist does the Xray he will known if you need a root canal or just a filling for the cavity.
Do you have health insurance.
If you have insurance
I would go to a dentist who does Laser dentistry.
You can do a search online of laser dentistry.
What state are you in?
I had 3 cavaties and the dentist use a laser instead of a drill.
With the laser there is no pain and bleeding and the tooth heals so much faster compared to using a drill.
The longer you wait, its possible the cavity will eventually hit the nerve.
Thats why you want to go to a dentist now.
The Xray will tell everything.
Also, you need to get your teeth cleaned.
This is very important.
You should get your teeth cleaned once a year.
Have you set up a dentist appointment.

Last edited by Dan_Sims; 05-31-2006 at 09:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 10:22 AM   #3
(female)

Ariom HB User

The only response I have to your post, is go to the dentist. Nowadays it's a piece of cake. I wish I would have been more attentive. Most people only go when there in so much pain,but they never realize the damage that could be done. I was the same way, now with periodontal disease, I have no choice but DENTURES and I am only 43....so if that doesn't push you to go, nothing will. I am sure if the tooth can be salvaged the dentist will do everything before pulling it. More than likely a root canal, and trust me, don't listen to the horror stories, I had 2 done in 1 day, and it was nothing, no pain, no swelling. Good luck and make an appoitment, heck they give you enough pain medication you won't feel anything.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:47 AM   #4
(female)

Kathryn R. HB User

i know other people have already told you this, but you really need to go to the dentist. You could have an abscessed tooth. these are very serious. The nerves in your mouth are linked to nerves in other places of you body including your brain. I had a close friend refuse to see a dentist about an abscessed tooth. The nerve around that tooth became invected. The infection eventually spread to his brain, caused an aneurysm, and he died. This is an extreme case, but not unheard of. Dental problems are serious and need to be taken care of. I hope you go soon.

Last edited by Kathryn R.; 06-02-2006 at 05:49 AM.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn R.
i know other people have already told you this, but you really need to go to the dentist. You could have an abscessed tooth. these are very serious. The nerves in your mouth are linked to nerves in other places of you body including your brain. I had a close friend refuse to see a dentist about an abscessed tooth. The nerve around that tooth became invected. The infection eventually spread to his brain, caused an aneurysm, and he died. This is an extreme case, but not unheard of. Dental problems are serious and need to be taken care of. I hope you go soon.
I too was deathly afraid of the dentist. But because of what Kathryn posted I went. I've heard this can happen!!! So everytime I got a toothache I was sitting my butt in the dentist chair and having it pulled! I now have dentures, full upper and partial lower. I only have 5 real teeth left but I take VERY good care of them now. Don't hesitate to see the dentist. It CAN save your life

If or when my remaining teeth go, and I have a full plate in the bottom I will still go every year and have an examination. They also check for oral cancer.

Hope

Old 06-02-2006, 09:25 AM   #6
(female)

princessfi HB User

KellyAndrea

A trip to the dentists these days is not like victorian times & you will be surprised at how easy and painless it is. The fear is much worse than the reality please remember that.

The dentist will put you at ease and be very gentle with you. Nowadays even the drills are so fine tipped that you don't feel anything, and I know this because I had drilling done about 20 years ago and some recently as well and it was 2 completely different experiences just because dental tools and technology has moved on so much!

So you really have nothing to fear and don't let anyone scare you or tell you otherwise. If you need drilled you will get an anasthetic so you wont feel a thing. and if you're afraid of the anasthetic hurting, they can put a gel on first that stops you feeling the jag.

If you need to take a friend with you it would make you feel better since its your first visit because its natural you will feel wobbly about going.

Its easy peasy, please please go and see the dentist it will be worth it and I'm sure it will be a big weight off your shoulders.
Good luck

Old 06-04-2006, 07:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi, GO NOW¬! Dont leave it a moment longer! I too am in agony now.... left a tooth the filling had dropped out of for 2years l got no pain but boy these last 6/8 weeks have been pure hell! I went l had no choice couldnt take the pain. AND BELIEVE ME I AM ONE TERRFIIED PATIENT! to make things worse the dentist cancelled my appointment for another few weeks as shes off sick and ive been in horrible pain for the last few days my appnt is this Friday but l think l will hjave to go before then cos l cant take much more l feel like getting drunk and getting some pliers!! Not that l would but l feel like it lol l will NEVER EVER again leave my teeth to get this bad again the pain is worse than anything good luck and let us know how it goes x

Old 06-04-2006, 08:53 AM   #8

Gatormom HB User

You also may be able to search out a dentist who specializes in people with genuine fears of going to the dentist. There is something called "sedation dentistry," and many MANY different ways they can help you deal with your fear. A dentist experienced with phobic patients will never, never make light of your fear or make you feel foolish. A fear of going for dental treatment is no easier to cope with than fear of flying or heights or spiders! We are all different and you should feel respected and supported at any medical practice or dental practice you go to. I highly recommend you look for a dentist who advertises that he helps people with fear issues. You aren't going to believe how relieved you are going to feel once you gotten started taking care of the problems you now have. I expect you'll find the time in the chair was WAY easier than the dread and/or pain you feel right now. Go for it - take care of your mouth just like you would take care of any other part of your body. It's the only body we're issued!

Old 06-07-2006, 08:04 AM   #9

kellyandrea HB User

Thanks for all the support guys.. I know I SHOULD go, but you know me (haha) I just always keep putting things off. And because there's no pain, it doesn't seem like a huge deal to wait, but I know it'll just make it worse.

I work the graveyard shift, so it's not real easy to get an appointment within those hours.

Questions: Do they gas you up or whatever before starting any work? Most people are awake right, Isn't it kind of annoying to just sit there while some guy invades your mouth for awhile?

How do you even make an appointment, just called some dentist office and ask to be seen? I currently don't have a "regular" dentist.

What about the whole insurance dealy. I have very minimal coverage at work, what do you think that would cover? (I'm in Canada if that makes a difference)

..Is the Dentist going to scold me...

Old 06-07-2006, 08:23 AM   #10
(female)

corricatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by niecsey
Hi, GO NOW¬! Dont leave it a moment longer! I too am in agony now.... left a tooth the filling had dropped out of for 2years l got no pain but boy these last 6/8 weeks have been pure hell! I went l had no choice couldnt take the pain. AND BELIEVE ME I AM ONE TERRFIIED PATIENT! to make things worse the dentist cancelled my appointment for another few weeks as shes off sick and ive been in horrible pain for the last few days my appnt is this Friday but l think l will hjave to go before then cos l cant take much more l feel like getting drunk and getting some pliers!! Not that l would but l feel like it lol l will NEVER EVER again leave my teeth to get this bad again the pain is worse than anything good luck and let us know how it goes x

First of all, your dentist's office should have referred you to another dental office that was covering for them while the "dentist was sick". I'd be leary of a dental office that didn't recommend seeing another dentist if you are in that much pain. Number 2, you need to get on an antibiotic ASAP! What is causing that kind of pain is an abcess. Chances are, with that much infection surrounding your tooth, it will not get as numb as you want it to be for treatment, but getting on an antibiotic NOW will help you for your appt on Friday. If your dentist won't call in a prescription for you, then go to the ER, or find a dentist that will see you today.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:39 AM   #11
(female)

corricatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyandrea
Thanks for all the support guys.. I know I SHOULD go, but you know me (haha) I just always keep putting things off. And because there's no pain, it doesn't seem like a huge deal to wait, but I know it'll just make it worse.

I work the graveyard shift, so it's not real easy to get an appointment within those hours.

Questions: Do they gas you up or whatever before starting any work? Most people are awake right, Isn't it kind of annoying to just sit there while some guy invades your mouth for awhile?

How do you even make an appointment, just called some dentist office and ask to be seen? I currently don't have a "regular" dentist.

What about the whole insurance dealy. I have very minimal coverage at work, what do you think that would cover? (I'm in Canada if that makes a difference)

..Is the Dentist going to scold me...

Kellyandrea? If you've never been to the dentist then how do you know what to expect? If someone has never been on a ladder, how do they know if they're afraid of heights? Don't listen to hearsay. Most people relate their fears and anguish to the dentist when in reality is was the pain (they allowed themselves to get to) that put them there. Letting a small hole in a tooth go is a recipe for worse things to come. It's true, the tooth is not going to heal itself! If you have minimal dental insurance, wouldn't you rather take care of something small like a simple filling, rather than an expensive root canal and crown (aka cap)? $150 vs $1000 hmmmm. Sensitivity to cold is a sign that the problem is getting close to the nerve. When people wait till it hurts..... it's too late, for a simple filling, your choice is extraction or root canal. Don't let your teeth go. Not only is tooth decay one problem, but gum and bone disease is too. You'll need those teeth for the rest of your life! Call your insurance company and find out who is on their provider list. You might even be able to find a website that will direct you to someone in your area, giving their education information and all that. It's my opinion that someone young will have all the latest on technology, and probably alot more personable than some stuffy old guy whose burnt out. (That's my opinion) Good luck

Old 06-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Believe you me you will get pain which equals MORE work!!! I had none for nearly 2 years till last 2 months honestly the pains that bad it makes you go DONT wait until your that bad please go l surprised myself dentists arnt monsters and dont want to hurt us HONEST and l am one big scared patient!

Old 06-07-2006, 03:03 PM   #13
(male)

gabriel85 HB User

you'd have to contact your insurance company to find out what will be covered, I have minimal coverage in canada also, but from school, which covers one visit a year and most of the cost of fillings, root canals, etc..you may have to pay the full cost and will be reimbursed later. normally a dentist will make a treatment plan to fix the problems over a certain period of time as you can afford it, and yah.. just call up a dentist office and explain that you are a new patient and would like to schedule an exam... the dentist won't scold you.. they've problaby seen much worse

Old 06-08-2006, 02:04 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

And this tiem tommorow my tooth will be out!! I feel sickly nervous excited if ti makes sense l cannot do the pain again its eased now and l know it has to be done l never ever want to go through that again honestly it was that bad and lm a toughie where pains concerned.

Closed Thread