It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

Ariom HB User
Getting Upper Dentures....HELP!!!

Hi everyone, I am new to this site, was doing some searching on line and found this web-site. I am geting my immediate dentures put in on the day of total extraction of the teeth I have left on June 12th. I am sort of looking forward to it, because I cannot remember the last time I actually smiled. I have heard horror stories about the gag effect. I am fully aware it will take time getting used to eating, speaking, and with those I am going to be pro-active about it, and do my best. But I cannot help being so terrified about the upper causing all the gagging, I have heard not everyone feels it, but I am sure I will. When I went in to the dentist to get the fitting for the back teeth that had already been pulled, all I did was gag with the uppers. The bottom ones was okay, just loose, but they sent them back to the lab and the dentures are now ready. Is there something that can be done, to eliminate the gag, is it true you get use to it? Or any words of insight and wisdom out there??? I just want to be able to smile again, and stop hearing the snickering and hateful remarks behind my back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
(female)

Ariom HB User
Re: Getting Upper Dentures....HELP!!!

thanks for taking the time to answer. Yeah that is what I am going to do. I have spoken with the dentist and she said, not to worry about it, and everything will be taken care of. I guess I listened to too many bad stories and not the positive ones. hyave a wonderful day!!!! Thanks again!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User

Please do not take what I'm about to type the wrong way. I'm not typing it to be mean.

Your mind has a lot to do with it. If you think you will gag, you will.

I'm not saying that you will not gag. Some people do have trouble with their dentures and the gag reflex. This is actually something that is very common and a legitimate concern for people. Just try and have a positive outlook on it. When your permanent dentures arrive and during the adjustments, just think more of how great it will be to have your new teeth. Think about the positives. Work with your dentist to get the best fit. It will help to take your mind off of your gag reflex.

The important thing to remember is, all the preliminary work they do to prep you for your dentures and to make the dentures, is just temporary. The materials tend to feel a bit bulkier and they tend to not fit exactly right. All the impression materials are just temporary. Many people gag during impressions, but that does not mean you will necessarily have problems with the dentures and gagging. These are just preliminary steps in creating your dentures. They are not what the permanent dentures will be like.

When the dentures are completed, the dentist will work with them and adjust them to get the best fit possible at the time. As you begin to heal, it is not uncommon to have to have your dentures adjusted a few times to get the right fit.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
(female)

Ariom HB User

Good morning JenniferE...Thanks for the posting, and also don't worry I didn't take your reply as Mean or negative. Actually I appreciate the honesty and all the feedback I can get. My dentist has spoken to me about the immediate dentures, like you mentioned; they will appear bulkier and what to expect. When I had the impressions taken I think I only gagged once, and that was because she had me lying down all the way in the chair...once she saw the tears rolling down my face, she realized I almost chocked. But other than that, I know I am going to have to stay positive and strong. But for me, although I want this more than anything at this point, I can't help be feel a bit anxious, it is in my nature. I suffer from anxiety at times, and take medication for it. Guess I will just take more. Might be a good thing and may not be, anything to get me through this. My dentist informed that, after about 3 months I would get my perms, then they would feel alot better. She mentioned like yourself that I would need to return at times for a more comfortable fit. Once again I truly apprecaite yours and everyone's feedback. Hey....sure you are not a dentist??? Have a great day!
Ariom

Old 06-05-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User

It's ok to feel the anxiety. Nothing wrong with that. You are going through an experience you never had to before, that and no one really enjoys going to the dentist.

Sometimes just talking to one of the assistants before your procedure helps a lot too. Talk about anything. If you have questions about the treatment, don't be afraid to ask them. You can find anything to chat about for a few minutes before the dentist is ready. This will help relax you and get your mind off of things.

One thing that I always did, was spend time with my patients. Even on my busiest of days. After awhile, you get really good at reading people. Those 5-10 minutes or so one spends talking to that patient before the dentist is ready, can make a huge world of difference.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
(female)

Ariom HB User

Thanks again JenniferE...seems you are an I truly appreciate your words of wisdom. I know exactly what you are saying, I am really not afraid of the actual dentist, just the outcome, and if I am going to be happy. I know right now, I am not. I don't smile, I haven't as a matter of fact for the past 3 yrs. It has been horrible. When I laugh I cover my mouth, that is how bad it is. I don't know if you have seen the movie Nanny McPhee, well it's not that bad, but one of my front teeth are heading in that direction, if I wanted too, I could basically pull it myself. I have no one to blame but myself. I was one of those people that would only run to the dentist when I was in extreme pain. Now I am paying the price. I am getting all my work done, at NOVA Dental University in Ft. lauderdale. Don't know if you have heard of it. But it has been an experince and the day is almost around the corner for the final extractions and immediate dentures to go in. Today I thought about so much, I gave myself a stomach ache. But I need to grow up and get this done. I will keep you updated. But there is a new post that I should have not read before posting this response to you. The guy says it has been 8yrs or something, and he is always gagging. That is my only concern as I have mentioned to you before.

Closed Thread