It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
(female)

Ariom HB User
Exclamation Denture Wearers Help!!!!!

Hi everyone, I am new to this site, was doing some searching on line and found this web-site. I am geting my immediate dentures put in on the day of total extraction of the teeth I have left on June 12th. I am sort of looking forward to it, because I cannot remember the last time I actually smiled. I have heard horror stories about the gag effect. I am fully aware it will take time getting used to eating, speaking, and with those I am going to be pro-active about it, and do my best. But I cannot help being so terrified about the upper causing all the gagging, I have heard not everyone feels it, but I am sure I will. When I went in to the dentist to get the fitting for the back teeth that had already been pulled, all I did was gag with the uppers. The bottom ones was okay, just loose, but they sent them back to the lab and the dentures are now ready. Is there something that can be done, to eliminate the gag, is it true you get use to it? Or any words of insight and wisdom out there??? I just want to be able to smile again, and stop hearing the snickering and hateful remarks behind my back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User
Re: Denture Wearers Help!!!!!

Well, the gag effect is a reflex and i don't think you can control a reflex, but i do think you can get used to the dentures. I've worn them forever it seems and haven't heard the horror stories you refer to. The only thing that makes me gag is when they take impressions and that rubbery material pushes into the throat.

Being overly anxious might contribute to the problem, so i hope you can relax and try not to worry so much. You can do this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
(female)

Ariom HB User

Hi Hypatia, Thanks for answering. Yeah I might have gotten worried when they did take the impressions and I gagged a couple of times. I am normally an anxious person, so I am probably working myself up. But I am going to get through it. I have too! My teeth at thispoint, the ones that are left 6 on top the front ones will all be pulled and the bottom only 2 will remain. I just want to hurry and get it over with. but once again thanks for taking the time to answer.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

The impressions was the worst part for me, I'm a little over 2 months with my new smile You will have good and bad days. Some days you will ask yourself WHY did I do this (this is normally the first week), but there WILL be more good days. Also if the back part of your upper denture starts making you gag then you can go back to the dentists for an adjustment and they will take some off the back until it feels comftorable to you. Before I went in to get my teeth out and get my dentures that was my #1 concern, the gag reflex.

I don't think age has anything to do with getting use to these things. I'm 38 and had my ups and downs.

Keep posting and when you go in for the procedure we will be here for you to help you out.

Hope

Old 06-01-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
(female)

lilmama5of6 HB User

Hello Ariom
I am two and a half weeks into the denture adventure.I have not had any problems with gagging except when the impressions were done.And the first time I tried to "poligrip" my uppers in(I have no problems with fixadent).It is true you have good days and bad days with your dentures as in life.I smile all the time now, I never realized how much I did not smile for years due to my teeth. Try not to think of what is going to happen,because it may not be as bad as you are thinking!I was driving myself crazy with thoughts of what was going to happen and when I was there having 15 of my teeth extracted and a full upper/partial on bottom put in,I then realized it was not even half as bad as I had invisioned. I am truely glad I did take the steps to improve my smile it is worth a week of pain in my eyes,especialy because I was in alot more pain before the extractions due to my bad teeth.Keep us posted with how you are doing.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
(female)

Ariom HB User

Thanks to all for the kind words of encouragement. I understand what you are saying. but you know how some people are, they tell you all kinds of things, and I guess I started listening. But since I have been coming on this site, I am looking forward to getting my teeth done. I am 43 and would love to smile at my sons wedding. I check in everyday to see how others are doing. But believe me I will log back on when I get these babies put in my mouth and let you know how things are going. Thanks again for being so helpful. Keep

Last edited by Ariom; 06-01-2006 at 01:28 PM. Reason: forgot to mention someones name

Old 06-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
(female)

blueheartlady HB User

Hello Ariom
I just wanted to let you know that we all know how you feel....we've all been exactly where you are....I know you can't help but be worried...it's natural. I had 27 extractions and immediates put in on Jan. 4th...so in just a few days, I will be 5 months into my dentureland adventure...It's like everyone tells you - you'll have your good days and your bad days, but just remember that with each and every passing day - things will get better. I promise. The most important thing that I can tell you is to keep a "positive" attitude....I truly believe that staying positive about everything will help you in your healing process...Just think of the beautiful smile you will have.

I think that my finding this website was truly a godsend...because until I found this place and met all of these wonderful people on here - I felt sooo alone, and like I was all on my own...It helps so much to be able to talk with others who truly know how you feel...I tell everyone that unless you've walked in our shoes there's no way to truly understand what all of this feels like....so, if there is any question that I can answer or any tips that I can share with you - don't hesitate to ask, okay? I'm here for you!!! We all are.

Please keep in touch and let us know how things are going with you....

Lots of hugs,
Jackie

Closed Thread