It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
(male)

gabriel85 HB User
receeding gums--periodontitis?-- or--am I just worried about nothing?

how long does it take for gum disease to progress from gingivitis to periodontitis? I know from my last dental visit that I had gingivitis, that was a few years ago, before then it was 4 or 5 years between visits and I was pretty careless, but since then I have gotten better at taking care of my teeth and avoiding sugar but I've noticed a bit of recession only about 1 or 2 mm and I am really scared that I may have periodontitis, my gums don't bleed, are fairly pink and firm and there are no 'pockets' as far as I can tell but I can't shake the fear that I might have a serious problem, I am still pretty young (20) so can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to progress?.. and if I am better at taking care of my teeth will they get better or will it continue to get worse no matter what? I've read some other posts and looked on some other sites and haven't found much information on how long it takes or how successful treatment is..

Old 05-31-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
Re: receeding gums--periodontitis?-- or--am I just worried about nothing?

Hi Gabriel,

There's no exact time frame on how long it takes to progress from gingivitis to periodontal disease. It's going to vary from person to person. It has been known to do it in as little as a few weeks or a matter of years.

I've had periodontal disease for over 20 years and my gums don't bleed either, they're nice and pink. Don't let that fool you into thinking your gums are healthy. As for pockets, how can you tell what size your pockets are? Do you have a dental instrument to measure them?

Taking better care of your teeth can slow the progression of periodontal disease, but it won't stop it. What are you doing to take better care of your teeth besides avoiding sugar? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I know first-hand what you're looking at in a few years if you don't get to a dentist ASAP. I hate dentists, but if I had insurance, I'd go and let them poke, prod, scrape and drill all they want. LOL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
(male)

gabriel85 HB User

thanks for the response, I know I'm not qualified to determine if I have 'pockets' or not but from looking in a mirror and flossing the gums seem to fit tightly with my teeth (except a few ends of those little points between teeth). In addition to avoiding sugar, I also chew gum during the day after meals and brush everyday and am gradually getting more regular with flossing, the only time I don't brush at night is if I fall asleep studying. I have an excellent dentist so I'm not too scared to go I'm just an impoverished student who can't afford it, I finally do have insurance from my school and can finally pay the up-front cleaning fee so my appointment is in a few days, I am just really worried that I'll be told that I need my wisdom teeth out, I have really bad gum disease, a dozen cavities, and that I have some problem I never even heard about; all of which I can't afford to fix.. aslo I doubt if genetics is a problem, my mom is well over 50 and though she has gum disease its not that bad.

Last edited by gabriel85; 05-31-2006 at 04:15 PM.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

I can understand your fears. I think my wisdom teeth came in when I was 19. I should've had them pulled then, but we didn't have insurance. Over the years, they have pushed all my teeth forward causing my front teeth to crowd which now looks really bad.

Glad to hear that good teeth run in your family. That's something you've got going for you. I hope that whatever the dentist finds, it's easily correctable and your insurance will cover most of it. My mom had all her teeth pulled by the time she was 30. All three of us kids were "blessed" with teeth just like hers. We all have small jaws and crowded teeth. My brother has all false teeth now, and my sister is pretty much just toothless. She can't afford dentures. I'm the only one who still has all but 2 of my teeth. They look healthy and I'm a fanatic at brushing and flossing, but they're really not healthy at all.

Try not to worry too much about what the dentist is going to find. All you can do what you can afford right now. You can work on getting the rest done as you're able. At least you're doing something about it now.

Last edited by cookiepls; 05-31-2006 at 04:40 PM.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
(male)

gabriel85 HB User

Just thought I'd add an update, no sign of periodontitis no bone loss or anything dentist said receeding gums were most likely ortho/ brushing problems. no obvious cavities but I'll need another set of x-rays to be sure (could only afford a set of panorex ones), one wisdom tooth is missing but the other ones should come out when they're fully grown in. Just need a good cleaning... when I can aford it.. *whew*

Old 06-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

*Whew*, is right! To wait 4-5 years between visits and not need thousands, or at least hundreds of dollars of dental work... You are one lucky guy! Thanks for the update. It's always uplifting to hear a good outcome. Keep it up.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #7
(female)

marteresa48 HB User
Unhappy periodontal disease

I am like you I have periodontal Disease yet never had bleeding gums or any other signs, so was very surprised to hear from my new Dentist that I had a couple of 5-6mm pockets and 4-5mm bone loss and the sad thing is there is nothing wrong with my teeth they look great, it just goes to show how importatnt to get a good dentist that does x-rays and picks these things up. Although I think it will be too late for me as now and again after I have eaten something my teeth feel as though they have slight movement in them (this is Worrying) I am waiting for an appointment with periodontist.

Last edited by marteresa48; 11-15-2006 at 12:03 PM.

Closed Thread