It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User
Due to get my perms-will they fit better?

I am only 7 mos into it, and am due for perms-but i heard they never fit good till after a year, anyway. Should I hold off for as long as I can, so I don't have to pay twice? (Once now, and another at the year mark-every year after that..etc..)
Am thinking about the pop in/out kind- expensive, would love it, but don't know if I can swing it-Don't think my insurance covers it...

Last edited by wintersun; 05-31-2006 at 09:15 PM.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Re: Due to get my perms-will they fit better?

Good luck wintersun!!! With the way my dental people are I'm going to be very nervous about my perms. But I would think if the people making your teeth are competant then you will be fine

I worry about not having any soft reline material in my permanent ones, I'm use to the soft cushion!!!!!!

Hope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4All
Good luck wintersun!!! With the way my dental people are I'm going to be very nervous about my perms. But I would think if the people making your teeth are competant then you will be fine

I worry about not having any soft reline material in my permanent ones, I'm use to the soft cushion!!!!!!

Hope
I just put a thin layer of that sea bond cushion in there-always have it in!

Old 06-01-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User

Hi! If I were you I would wait as long as possible. It has been a year and four months for me. My denturist wanted me to wait at least six months for my permanent liners. My teeth on my dentures are permanent, just not the liners. I didn't go in right away after the six months was up, because I just couldn't afford it at the time, and I am glad I haven't went in yet. In just the past few months I think my gums have shrunk a little more. You wouldn't think that a little bit of shrinkage would make that much of a difference, but it does. I have to use so much more adhesive than I have ever had to use. So I would hold out for the year and see what happens! Good luck!

Cristie

Old 06-02-2006, 06:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisma
Hi! If I were you I would wait as long as possible. It has been a year and four months for me. My denturist wanted me to wait at least six months for my permanent liners. My teeth on my dentures are permanent, just not the liners. I didn't go in right away after the six months was up, because I just couldn't afford it at the time, and I am glad I haven't went in yet. In just the past few months I think my gums have shrunk a little more. You wouldn't think that a little bit of shrinkage would make that much of a difference, but it does. I have to use so much more adhesive than I have ever had to use. So I would hold out for the year and see what happens! Good luck!

Cristie
I like the year wait, but unfortunately I don't think my dentist will do that, he will want it done in 6 months.

My husband had his teeth pulled and waited a full year to have any teeth made. 10yrs later his teeth still fit him like they did the first day. I also think longer is better

Hope

Old 06-02-2006, 07:36 AM   #6
(female)

Cptgirl HB User

Hi Hope4All

I waited for my gums to heal post extraction two and a half months ago and have recently started the process of getting dentures made. I had impressions done last Saturday and today went for the first wax try in. If all goes well I should finally have my dentures in a week or so. My dentist wanted me to wait for six months before making the dentures. However, being toothless for that extended time did not appeal to me. The two and a half months without teeth was in itself quite a trial. My medical aid would unfortunately only cover the perms and not immediates, hence having gone the route I did. A lot of resorption has already taken place and I'm sure I will have a good fit. How did your husband manage without teeth for a whole year? Was he able to work in that time?

Cheers
C

Old 06-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=Cptgirl]Hi Hope4All

I waited for my gums to heal post extraction two and a half months ago and have recently started the process of getting dentures made. I had impressions done last Saturday and today went for the first wax try in. If all goes well I should finally have my dentures in a week or so. My dentist wanted me to wait for six months before making the dentures. However, being toothless for that extended time did not appeal to me. The two and a half months without teeth was in itself quite a trial. My medical aid would unfortunately only cover the perms and not immediates, hence having gone the route I did. A lot of resorption has already taken place and I'm sure I will have a good fit. How did your husband manage without teeth for a whole year? Was he able to work in that time?

Cheers

He had to manage, we couldn't afford to get his dentures right away. He just went in to see how much it would be, but the oral surgeon would not allow him to go home with his teeth, he had abcesses and bone cyst.

It wasn't easy on him not being able to eat but since the kids were small we ALL ate mush together. I wouldn't eat normally because I didn't want to make him feel bad, after awhile his gums toughened up and he was eating solids. As for his looks without teeth and working, he took one week off, he talked fine, and you couldn't tell he had no teeth. Men with mustaches and a beard HIDE it ... LoL When they took my upper away from me to make me a new one I wanted to GROW A MUSTACHE!!!!

Hope

Closed Thread