It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 08:22 AM   #1
(female)

lilmama5of6 HB User
Talking Keeping everyone up to date

Hello All
I thought I would let everyone know things are good now(2.5 weeks since extractions)I have gone back to the dentist several times for minor adjustments.It is weird wanting to go to the dentist now,they make the sore spots go away.I am no longer scared to go to a dentist,so I guess I pretty smile is not the only thing I got out of all this. I slept with out my teeth for the last 2 nights.My dentist told me I need to let more air get to my gums.He said it would help with the healing process.I think it is.I just wait intill my husband falls asleep then I take them out.
I have been eating every thing.Steak can be cut up small enough to go down without chewing.My 8 month old little girl has no teeth so when I cut her food up I cut mine up as well. It was hard to eat that philly steak sub last night.But I got a foot long in me.
The only problem I am having is I have a very small mouth which means I have small dentures.The little piece of skin(I do not know what it is called)that attaches the upper lip to the gum was split in half due to the dentures rubbing it I am guessing.It hurt so bad that I kept putting benzodent on it not realizing it was as bad as it was.They dentist has since made a wider slit in my denture for me.I only hope it will grow back.Every time I laugh(which is alot)I can feel it rip a little more.It is hard not to laugh in our house.
I am so glad I toke the steps to get my smile back!!! Thank you for all the support
candy

Last edited by lilmama5of6; 06-01-2006 at 08:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
(female)

Ariom HB User
Re: Keeping everyone up to date

Hi there, i have been reading your posts, and believe it or not I have been terrified of getting my dentures done. I am getting everything done on June 12th. With all the bad stories I hear, I got alot of positive words on your prgress, justs wants me to hurry and get this over with so I can SMILE again. Good luck on your new smile and enjoy life!!!!

Old 06-01-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
(female)

lilmama5of6 HB User

Ariom
I was so scared to even go to the dentist in the begining,I actually vomited in the parking lot.Only being 33yrs old, I also had a hard time dealing with the fact I let my teeth get so bad.I truely believe the hardest part was getting the courage to have the work done in the first place.I too have children and they had a big part in getting my teeth fixed.I found alot of courage on this web site.It makes you feel good knowing you are not alone in having bad teeth.There are ALOT of us out here!You are stronger then you think and you can do this.Your son will be proud of you for wanting your smile to be nice for his special day,But I hope you are taking this step for you. Getting dentures does take getting used to,but if you stay possitive you will be fine.You will have alot of questions and we will all be here to answer them.Do not worry so much about the horrible stories you hear(we all have heard them too).I think I have actually heard more possitive stories on this message board then bad.I will keep my eye out for your post if you need any info I'll be glad to help.Keep positive you are going to be in a little pain for a while but you are going to love you new smile.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #4
(female)

NYtoTN HB User

Hi lilmama.... As you know I am one day behind you on this journey. I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. I'm doing pretty well also. I'm pretty much healed now and I haven't had any pain in a long time. I could really use an adjustment but my dentist's office is closed for vacation until monday. So I'm bearing with it because the dentist that is taking over for mine is over 50 miles away. The pallette of my denture is too far back and I have difficulty swallowing without choking. On the positive side, I should be losing a few pounds from not being able to eat very much. LOL
The first week was the worse. I cried every day. But after that it got better and I got used to having dentures in my mouth. I even learned to speak fairly well is a short time.
So, it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be in the beginning.
Keep the updates coming in so that we can compare notes.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:45 AM   #5
(female)

lilmama5of6 HB User

Hello NY to TN
I am glad you are doing well in you adventure with dentures.I also thought it would be alot worse then it has been....I think I saw in another post you were having a little bit of problems with your implant posts.I hope you dont have to have any more work on them.It kind of makes me gald I did not get implants.....I have also almost mastered speaking again.Still having a small problem with the "S" words.I am glad I had to wear that retainer when I was a kid,I think that helped me to adjust to having dentures......I know what you mean about losing a few pounds.But I am pretty small already.All my shorts are fitting better,Lots of room to move in them now!As long as my mother does not see me I will be OK.She always says I look to skinny.I still have not showed her my new smile( she lives 75 miles away).She thought I was making a big mistake with getting dentures.Her teeth are perfect.She just does not understanding what I have gone through to get to this point in my life.I still think this was the best thing I have done for my self. I LOVE MY NEW SMILE!! As long as we stay possitive things will only improve with time.But I think we are doing very well.Keep me up to date with how things are going for you.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
(female)

NYtoTN HB User
Smile Re: Keeping everyone up to date

Lilmama, I'm sure that your mother will love your new beautiful smile. You did the right thing by trading your bad teeth for dentures.
I had a beautiful smile before the dentures. But they were all crowns. And there was decay under the crowns. Which is how I ended up with dentures. I'm just glad to not have anymore pain.
I too wore a retainer years ago. And these dentures remind me of that.
Unfortunately, I'll be needing more work on the implants. But there's nothing I can do about that. My bones are not that great.
Good luck with your S's....

Old 06-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

One of the most important things to remember in this whole journey is to stay positive. It is a huge change in your life and with care and determination, will give you many many years of happiness.

Go to the dentist when things don't seem right, when they get loose or whenever you just need more reassurance than you can get from home.

I found it very good to share my experiences with my family and close friends- sort of like letting them share in the burden of this adventure. My husband was very understanding and supportive and still is. By talking to friends I was very fortunate to be introduced to some other women near my age who already had dentures and they were willing to talk with me about their experiences, nothing beats learning from someone who has been there.

Hang in there and keep smiling,

Sandy

Old 06-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
(female)

Ariom HB User

Hi lilmama, Glad that you are doing fine!!! I first want to say thanks for all the encouraging words, it helps!!! Funny thing you mention loosing some weight, that is one of the things I thought about as well. I am not big, but I can afford to loose about 10lbs. And yes, I am doing this for me. I started going to the dentist regarding bone loss back in 2004, and made my decision, because I didn't have any alternatives, to go ahead and get dentures. It just so happens that my son delivered the wonderful news. Everyone around me ( family members ) are constantly asking me when my next appt. is. At this point I am and cannot back out. I only have 6 teeth left on top and 10 on bottom. You can't eat like that, but for some reason you think I would have lost some weight, heck no, not me. Guess it from swallowing the food. But believe it or not, June 12th is around the corner and I am a tad bit scared, but who wouldn't be? But with all this, I am in a strange way looking forward to getting this overwith, and get started on having a pretty smile. I am sure after the intial 1st week, I hope to be for joy!!! Thanks again for keeping me on track and your an for soing so. I will stay in touch from sunny Florida, and keep you posted. Keep posting, you wouldn't believe how much it helps others, it certainly has helped me find HOPE.

Ariom

Old 06-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
(female)

Ariom HB User

Hi lilmama, I have a question ....sort of has to do with teeth. You know I have my appt on June 12th, my grand-daughter is flying from Texas to Florida and she will be arriving on June 14th, am I going to be okay enough to do things with her???? I am just asking, since you have little ones If you get a chance on your next post. Thanks!! Have a good evening, will check back tomorrow morning.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:12 AM   #10
(female)

lilmama5of6 HB User

Hello Ariom
Having 5 kids(ages 11 and under) I did not have much time to sit around and cry about anything.I was up the next day taking the 3 older ones back and forth to school.The pain medicine made me fell a little loopie,but I could still do things. I think day 3 and 4 were the worst for me.That is when I turned black and blue on the left side of my face only.And I also puffed up a little on both sides of my face.I wore alot of make-up for a couple of days.It was not that bad.I heard such bad stories about how you feel afterwards.That was one of my biggest fears.No one said any thing to me.I went the the store,bank, all my usual arrands.
If you put ice packs on your face right after your extractions you can help prevent the swelling( I waited untill I swelled before I did).Also for the first few days take your pain medicine every 4-6 hours BEFORE the pain starts.It is easier to prevent the pain from begining then it is to take it aways once it has started.
I also live in FL.( Port Saint Lucie) and we went to the beach jet skiing the first weekend after my teeth were done.I did not go very fast,because I was affaird to get air in my extraction sites.I did get dry socket 2 days later. So I would not recommand any thing like that.I would not plan anything for the first few days after your procedure.
Remember if you stay possitive it will make all the difference in the world!!!!
You are going to have a wounderful smile in no time at all...
Having my teeth done is one of the best things I have ever done.I feel soooo much better about the way I look.I have always had ugly crocked teeth.And now they are not white but they look so good. I can not help but look in the mirror more often now.
Enjoy your grand daughter.If you do not want anyone to see you,go to the movies or the science museum.You will be on all our minds and in our prays.Keep on posting.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:30 AM   #11
(female)

Ariom HB User

Good morning lilmama....Glad to hear all the good information I am going to need. Yeah I am looking forward to having my grand-daughter for about 3 weeks, her mommy needs a break, and I love to have her around. Plus she loves going to the beach. I am in Plantation, near Ft. lauderdale. Never been to Port St. Lucie, but sure I will one day. We travel alot,( when we get the chance ) we just got back last week from the Keys, and that was gorgeous, especially for someone like me who moved from Texas.

Well please keep posting, your progress helps others, and espcially me!! I still have so many questions, but I guess the best thing to do is stay positive and get it done. get all the remaining teeth extracted except my 2 bottom canines, the did root canals on those and are going to shave them down and leave them in, dentist said it would help keep thr bottom denture in place. Hope that works. I heard the bottoms ones are most unstable at first. But I gues I will just use alot of fixadent.. Thanks for taking the time to answer my posts. It is so nice to find people like yourself on these sites that are so understandable. talk to you later....

Old 06-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #12
(female)

Ariom HB User

lilmama, Have not seen you on-line. Just making sure you are okay. Hope your still smiling. Hope to see your post soon.

Ariom

Last edited by Ariom; 06-06-2006 at 03:05 PM. Reason: spelling..

Old 06-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #13
(female)

lilmama5of6 HB User

Hello Ariom
All is fine here. I went for an adjustment today.It sure is strange wanting to go to see a dentist.But no more sore spots for about a week anyway.In the begining I was going every two or three days for adjustments,now only once a week.They say.. soon I won't have to go but once every two weeks then once a month,and so on untill I feel comfortable enough not to need adjustments anymore.....
I can not believe how well I have gotten used to having dentures in only three weeks.I thought it was going to be months of problems,but none to speak of yet.Nothing like the stories I heard before hand.I am still trying to figure out how to chew with my new chompers.But every day it gets a little easier for me.I now have more good days then bad.
My upper denture(full set) is starting to feel like it is getting a bit loose.They say that is good,that it means I am healing nicely.I have to glue them babies in now.I tried a flavor poligrip...talk about nasty! It actually made me gag! It was the first and last time I'll try a flavored adhesive.But I think I just used to much....
Good Luck to all on their Denture Adventure!

How do you know you are getting old???
When you bite into a steak and your teeth stay there.
HaHa, I guess we are all getting old.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #14
(female)

Ariom HB User

lilmama! Glad everything went well. I hope I can be as good of patient as you!! I want you to know I feel truly blessed finding people like yourself to talk too. I made myself sick to my stomach this morning, with all my anxiety. I was so upset with myself. But I have to get a grip and get through this. I do think of the outcome, infact that is all I think about it....I just lied!! You know that gag is in the back of my mind. But I am going to do my best.

So I am going to take your advice and not use the flavored grips....don't want any extra yuckiness during that time. So does the poligrip keep them place pretty good? Do you feel comfortable when your public? Do you find yourself starring in the mirror alot, I know I am going to be

But regardless of all this, lets hope for the best. I was talking to my fiancee about this ( he hears about it everyday when he gets home ) , and he thinks I should get my mouth insured, in case we get another hurricane...can you believe he even said that?? of course he was being a He is very supportive though which is great. I told him he better be, or else when my mouth is healed and I have that I just may replace him. Joke right back at him. We just laugh. Have a great day, and no frets. I am going to post everyday ad everyday after I have them in. Talk to you soon!

Ariom

Closed Thread