It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 05:39 AM   #1
(female)

Obergurgl HB User
Bridge - one year on and still can't bite on it!

Nearly a year ago I got a front bridge. First of all there was the temporary bridge of which was agony to get removed - she had to chip away the old cement and the pain on one of teeth was outrageous (despite 4 injections!). As she did not know the reason she put the real bridge in with temporary cement - in case it had to be removed. A few weeks' later I had moulds made for other crowns and this loosened off the bridge. So, the original constant pain had now changed to excrutiating pain only when liquid got in behind it. I did read on these Boards that after a year the pain may dull down - not so! Anyway, here we are nearly a year down the road and I'm going back to the dentist this week. To me I just feel that she must have drilled the tooth down far too much and I have no idea what the remedy may be. Has anyone else had this problem? Incidentally, the 3 teeth on the bridge seem to be chipping at the bottom - not having much luck!

Old 06-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #2
(female)

vjx19 HB User
Re: Bridge - one year on and still can't bite on it!

You have one of two possibilities going on. If the bite is not correct on the bridge it can cause pain when you bite (shooting pain). This is the lesser of the two evils. And they would need to adjust your bite. However, it sounds like you may need a root canal. For a tooth to be that sensitive even after being numbed up is not normal, unless the nerve is dying and is a "hot" tooth. If you start taking an antibiotic and it causes things to calm down then it is definately nerve related. Does it wake you up at night?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2006, 01:27 AM   #3
(female)

Obergurgl HB User

Thanks for the info - not sure I enjoyed reading it tho! No, it doesn't waken me up at night. It's only sore when liquid gets in - not all the time. What happens if the dentist puts the bridge back in with permanent cement and the original problem is still there, ie, pain on even the lightest tapping on the tooth? How long will my present temporary cement last? Maybe I should stick with that for another few months and see if the problem dies down. Thanks again for you comments.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User

Your dentist should check the bite and make sure the bridge is fitting well. Since the bridge is cemented on with temporary cement, the dentist will most likely remove the bridge and take an x-ray.

If the bridge does not fit on the teeth properly, it's not uncommon to feel pain in a tooth or teeth. This can be caused by an incorrect bite, placing too much pressure on a particular area, or it can be caused by the margins not being sealed when the bridge is placed. From what you've written, it sounds more like the bridge is not seated properly and the margin is not closed. Either that, or some of the temporary cement has washed away causing the margin not to be sealed.

The dentist will remove the bridge, clean the area, and check the teeth for any signs of decay, fracture, or abcess. If there are no signs of decay, tooth fracture, or abcess, the dentist will recement the bridge.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
(female)

Obergurgl HB User

Went to the dentist last night re my painful bridge problem. First of all she can't believe that I've still got my temporary cement! She doesn't think there is anything to worry about and wants to put in the permanent cement. She says the pain will dull in time! Seemingly she's got a crown that has taken 18 years to be free of pain! Another 17 to go ... ! When I pluck up the courage I will let her put it in permanently but at the moment I'm still worrying about how she will remove the temporary cement that is stuck to the tooth when she pulls out the bridge. I can remember the pain a year ago when she removed the temporary bridge. Ouch ... !

Old 06-07-2006, 09:12 AM   #6
(female)

corricatt HB User

So you saw her about the bridge, she was surprised that it hadn't been permanently cemented, and there was no x-ray to verify that the PDL and apex aren't the culprit of your pain?? Furthermore did they check the bite to see if that needed adjusting bite???

Often front teeth need Root Canal Therapy after being ground down for crown and bridge. It's common and not the fault of your dentist. The more tooth structure they remove the better the prosthetic will look.

I would ask to see an Endodontist for a consult just to rule out any future need for root canal, because it's better to do the RCT before permanently cementing the bridge.

Keep us posted!

Last edited by corricatt; 06-07-2006 at 09:18 AM.

Closed Thread