During the last year I've had three oral surgeries on lower front three teeth (apical procedures) before extraction of the three teeth. Massively infected, lots of soupy bone on all three occasions. Oral surgeon cleaned out the area and did a bone graft in October. I've also developed a host of neurological symptoms during the same time period. All doctors say I am fine. I've never during any of this had severe dental pain, occasional jolts of pain in lower jaw chin area. Tried implants in Feb 06, removed one, one week later due to incredible pain. Oral surgeon again didn't see any infection, but when he probed the bone I almost jumped out of the chair. Hmm thats an indication of residual infection. I always feel better on antibiotics. Recently the chin area started breaking out, my Allergist thinks its infection from the inside coming out. Looks like acne and spreads and leaves with antibiotics. We are going to try to culture the area to try to get an idea of what I am dealing with. Oral surgeons plan = lets let it heal for another two months. I'm taking almost 2000mg of motrin a day to deal with the inflamation in the body as well as the blasts of pain in the jaw. Not sure where to go next....
Dear GOD.....now I am teriffied...I am 2 weeks post op on my jaw for bone debridment and on oral Clindamycin 1200 daily. The area that was infected feels alot better , but feels as though it has travled forward under perfectly good teeth. I also am breaking out right on the site of the pain and swelled area. I just attributed it to not being able to wash that area so agressivly as the rest of my face because of the pain. The pain is now beginning to radiate toward the back of my jaw, though there is no swelling.
No bone grafts, dentist told me to be EXTREMELY careful as I could break the area that he removed bone from very easily. I have a 3rd followup tomorrow, and have decided that if I am not taken seriously by the Oral Surgeon, I will go to my GP and see what she says. We only have one Oral Surgeon in the area so I may have to travel a bit. I am terrified that I am going to lose more bone and now 3-4 perfectly good teeth. I am just being told by the OS that I had a vey serious Osteomyelitis and it will take time to heal. I understand that. But the paid, swelling etc is as bad as what it was when I landed in the ER and had emergency surgery 2 weeks ago.. no improvement.
Were you on IV antibiotics at all? I keep reading and being told that Osteomyletis is almost always treated at first with IV antibiotics.... nothing but oral here.. Im sccared and getting mad. THanks for posting and I hope that you get some good advice here.
I haven't been able to get any of my Dentists to admit that I still have an infection. My very old simple Dentist admits that the breakout on the chin and the jaw pain could be connected. I will apparently need to see another oral surgeon for another opinion. It seems that if you don't present classic signs of infection no one will believe you. Unfortunately I never present with classic symptoms only to find the area reinfected during each surgery. Hopefully at some point my dentist will be able to differentiate from surgical trama and new infection. I am also going to make an appointment to see an oral pathologist at the CU Dental School. I'm also thinking of paying for a new type of Oral Cat scan out of my pocket. I want my life back! I hope that all goes well for you. Keep us posted!
I had a dental implant in May of this year. Since then I have had many neurological problems, hives, itching. I finally convinced the dr to take it out who had insisted it was not infected. but when he got in there it was totally infected and I believe I have had infection through my body for 4 months. I am on an antibiotic which worked the first few days but now seems bad again. Does anyone know if the bone graft should be taken out as I have been reading it also can cause infection.