It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

PrincessData HB User
Unhappy New Here. Need Advice on broken tooth and more

Hi Im new to this board. Just found it today. Ive had some bad dentists in the past and so Im very fearful of dentists. I recently broke a tooth on the right side in the middle. Its sore but not overly painful ( yet) . I also have fillings that are sore and have a dark shadow like color around them. I know I have to go to the dentist but I really nervous mostly due to having encounter some bad ones in the past. I like in Massachusetts. If anyone had any thoughts or advice Id really appriciate it. And if anyone knows a great dentist in my area( who preferably uses laser drilling) It be really helpful.
Thanks

Old 06-05-2006, 02:28 AM   #2
(male)

gabriel85 HB User
Re: New Here. Need Advice on broken tooth and more

you might be able to find a sedation dentist or one that specializes in fearfull patients, they're usually common in urban areas. If you can't find one ask around for a good dentist, just go for x-rays and a check-up without getting any cleaning or work done.. that is completely painless and easy and it gives you a chance to get to know the dentist and to find out whats wrong; without most of the anxiety, it usually only takes 10- 15 minutes and the dentist will just look in your mouth... most dentist are understanding of fear and will do a lot to accomodate you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User
Re: New Here. Need Advice on broken tooth and more

It's perfectly natural to have some fear of the dentist and/or procedure(s). Regardless, don't let this hold you back from scheduling and keeping your dental appointment. With the graying/shadowing around the edges of the fillings, that could be a sign of decay developing. If you get the teeth treated early, there is less involved and a lot less expense.

The longer you let the broken tooth go, the worse it will become. In the meantime, it is important to keep that tooth as clean as possible. After you have cleaned the tooth, mold dental wax, orthodontic wax, or candle wax over the tooth. This will help protect the tooth from air and debris. The reason why the tooth is sore is because food is getting trapped in the hole as well as some of the soft, delicate parts of the tooth may be exposed to air and debris. By cleaning the tooth and placing wax on it, you are helping to protect the tooth and many times, the soreness will begin to ease a little.

As Gabriel mentioned, at least go and have an exam and x-rays done to determine what work you may or may not need done. This will also help you in getting a "feel" for the dentist and staff. Sometimes it is much better to divide the appointments up like this so it's not so much all at once.

Closed Thread