It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 12:04 AM   #1
Inactive

kevinnader HB User
Stupid question..how will I know if I have cavity?

well,

My teeth have been sore the last few days and it just made me think about something. How would I know if I had cavity? After I brushed my teeth tonight I saw that on 3 of my teeth there is black in the middle between the cracks of those 3 teeth. Can cavities be on the top like that? is that maybe just plaque or..

thanks so much..

Old 06-05-2006, 05:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Re: Stupid question..how will I know if I have cavity?

Plaque is not black. And there's no way to know if you have a cavity without seeing your dentist. Some cavities will hurt if they've been there for awhile, but most will not, and the only way you know you have one is either your dentist will see it while looking at your teeth, or with an x-ray. I assume you DO go to the dentist every 6 months, correct? If you don't, then yes, those could be cavities you're seeing - and feeling - because you've left them long enough to become visible. The only way to know for sure is to see your dentist, as cavities left too long can result in either root canals or lost teeth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
Inactive

kevinnader HB User

well those actual spots on my teeth arent sore. I have tmj and so its no shock if my mouth and teeth hurt and are sensitive for a few days. I also have ulcers or sores in my mouth right now so...

wish I Knew what cavity looked like..

Old 06-07-2006, 04:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

You can't see the actual cavity if it's down in your tooth, but the black spots you do see could very well be cavities. We don't usually have black spots on our teeth, so you may wish to go have them check, as if they truly are cavitites, they won't go away.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:42 AM   #5
(male)

03HDROADKING HB User

That can be decay, have your dentist look and scan with the cavity detecting laser. It is the best instrument we have today for early detection and prevention. Stain will collect in the grooves of the teeth, esp from coffee or tobacco, so it is hard to distinguish between stain and caries(decay) without the diagnodent laser.

See this link.

[Removed]

[Do not post websites with advertising. Please click the "Posting Rules" above for more details. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 06-08-2006 at 05:11 PM.

Old 06-10-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
(male)

snice HB User

I once had the same issue. I found a little black dot on my tooth. It turned out that it wasn't a cavity. The dentist said that it was just a natural formation in my tooth and that I didn't need to worry about it. That was 5 years ago, and so far there have been no problems.

Really, only a dentist can tell if you have a cavity. They will take their little probe and stick it in those areas that look suspicious. My understanding of it is that they can tell either by how deep it is or by what it feels like, if you have a cavity or not. They can also tell with x-rays.

Here's the key. Don't think that your tooth is supposed to hurt if it has a cavity. If it hurts, you not only have a cavity, you are probably going to have to have a root canal (expensive and not fun).

I would recommend that you get it checked out sooner rather than later. I once waited on getting a cavity checked out that I thought was a cavity, and I wound up with a gigantic filling. The dentist told me that if I had waited much longer, there wouldn't have been much tooth left.

Closed Thread