It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
(female)

Obergurgl HB User
Question 5 crowns down and another 5 to go - normal?

I started going to the dentist a year ago and had 5 crowns (and a painful bridge - but that's another story!) done. I am SOOOOOOOOOO scared of the dentist that I really couldn't belive that I was actually going - after about 12 years! Anyway, needless to say after a few months' I gave up. I am pleased to say I managed to drag myself back last night - and she was kind enough to just give me one wee filling (which seemed to go well).

She also told me that I've still got 5 fillings and 5 crowns to go! That will mean 10 crowns in all (and a bridge!). Does this seem a bit excessive?

Most of my teeth were filled with nasty black amalgam fillings back in the year dot and what I'm learning now (if it's true) is that in time they crack you own teeth to the extent that only a crown will do the job. Is this correct?

Before I started all this treatment I just thought that when a filling was old it was replaced - now I'm learning that it is replaced with a (VERY EXPENSIVE) crown. Does this sound like normal practice?

Experience from others will be gratefully received!

Old 06-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
(female)

Buffalo Gal HB User
Re: 5 crowns down and another 5 to go - normal?

I have a lot of crowns too, but I look at it this way, it beats dentures! As a matter of fact, I have what you described. I was eating ice cream, of all things, and a tooth with an old black filling, just gave way, and I wound up with half a tooth. I've got a temporary in now, while I wait for the crown to be made. They're expensive, but I'm lucky, in that my insurance pays half. Certain fillings can be replaced, but sometimes, the crown is the only way. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2006, 05:27 AM   #3
(male)

03HDROADKING HB User

I know many who would sell an organ to just HAVE teeth. The cost of losing a tooth due to fracture triples when needing to replace it. Just stay on a reg recare program and treat the crowns like a new car, wash and detail every day.

Also, if you had been in every 6 months, you may have done one to two per year, and not seen such a big expense all at once. Keep smiling, get it complete and be thankful your dentist cares enough to do preventitive care.

Good luck

[Do not mention having patients, which suggests that you are a medical professional. Professional affiliation as such is not to be posted. Please read more about this by clicking the "Posting Rules" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 06-08-2006 at 05:17 PM.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
(female)

jill*# HB User

Amalgam (mercury) fillings fracture teeth . Mercury expands and contracts;that's why they use it in thermometers. Gold fillings ,in contrast,do not fracture teeth and often last 30 yrs.
Dentists make most of their profits doing crowns.According to Frank Jerome DDS, author of "Tooth Truth", crowns are never neccessary and are bad for your teeth. They often kill your teeth the day they are done or cause the tooth to die later. They prevent the tooth from cleaning itself and thus are hot beds of toxic bacteria which leads to gum disease and gum recession.
They do not protect fractured teeth;they weaken them.Inlays and onlays are better options.The best option,the one most likely to allow you to keep your tooth your whole life,is the one that preserves the most tooth structure.
Would you rather have your own arm os a synthetic one?
Drilling a tooth down to a stub is traumatic to the nerve.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I would have to agree - crowns don't solve the problem. I think they should be reserved for broken or fractured teeth not the repair or maintnenance of older fillings. 40 yrs ago all they offered was amalgam and we were lucky we even went to dentists - my parents never went to one - not many could afford it back then - but they tried to do better for their kids so we went once a year. So now we are paying for it by needing crowns that cost a an arm and a leg? - and many dentists won't do them w/o root canals in case the nerve is damaged in prepping the tooth for the crown - another cost. All I hear is the cash register going "cha *****"!

Closed Thread