It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #1

Funky Chick HB User
Periodontal Surgery - update

I thought I would post this for anyone having periodontal surgery as I found it hard to find any information on what happens. I had surgery on both my upper and lower left quadrants today. She did the upper side first, injections on the outside were a breeze, no pain at all. The pallate (sp?) injection stung a bit but nothing much. The surgery itself was pretty much painless, just a bit of pushing and pulling and a couple of stitches (only 2 teeth done) and it was over.

The lower half I had seven teeth treated. Again the injections were fine although I reacted to the adreneline and started shaking so she had to stop for a few minutes. After this time my mouth and tongue were completely numb! Again the surgery was painless, scraping and using the high pressure water jet. Some more sutures and it was all over. My mouth is still numb 5 hours later but it is wearing off and starting to feel a bit sore so I will post again when it is gone.

I have to rinse with Corsodyl and just lightly brush until it is healed. I have the stitches out and the other side done on June 27th.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:55 AM   #2

Funky Chick HB User
Re: Periodontal Surgery - update

Update - it is now nearly 24 hours since the surgery and my mouth is a bit sore but ok. I am taking normal painkillers which help a lot. I have stitches in which I keep playing with my tongue!

I forgot to say the cost worked out at £10 per minute (about $18 per minute)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

I had six months of perio surgery - from Sept/05 until March/06 - nearly the whole mouth. I also had a skin graft from my pallet - that hurt badly! Having the stitches in for a week was more annoying than anything else. I also had to rinse - for 3 weeks with checkups in between. I told my husband he should have been a periodontist!!!! (My personal secretary would be typing this instead of me !!). Do you have any bone loss? Unfortunately, I do.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:21 AM   #4

Funky Chick HB User

She hasn't said anything about bone loss, so no I don't think so. The stitches are annoying! I have to keep them in until I see her in three weeks time - I am thinking of snipping them and saying they fell out

Old 06-09-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

Good for you if there is no bone loss! Why do you have to wait 3 weeks for the stitches to come out? That's positively annoying. I had mine out after one week, and then came back the week after that to check my gums again.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #6

Funky Chick HB User

The periodontist is 90 miles away from where I live! She did give me the option of going in a week for the stitches to come out and then going in another 2 weeks for the next treatment and check up but I decided that was too much driving and she said it wouldn't matter if they were in longer. I have a feeling I may accidentally snip one of the stitches that is annoying me though!

Closed Thread