It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
(female)

mp31 HB User
front tooth hurts

This might be a little long but I just want to explain...

In March I had cleaning and xrays things were fine however dentist said I was grinding and suggested that I go get a night guard. I did that night and it was the one that you mold to your teeth with hot water. I wore it that night and the next day my front teeth are so sore and they even looked like enamel was taken off. They are now transparent where the guard rested on my teeth. They were throbbing and I was in pain. I went to the dentist that day and he said that the nightguard could of not done that and neither could the cleaning. Since then I have tooth pressure on and off. When it gets bad I use a desensitizing polish but that is just temporary. It does come back. I had two dentists check for fractures and they said it was fine however it still is a pressure like pain.

Any thoughts, please help.

What is the worst case scenerio. I have a dental plan but is only a percentage.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
(female)

s.g. HB User
Re: front tooth hurts

I had a veneer put on a front tooth to correct discoloration from a fall that occurred years ago as a child. Lots of people get this done all the time with no problems. Anyways, I was in severe pain. I had throbbing pressure and it felt like my tooth was on fire. I even had a root canal that caused me more pain. I went to every doctor, dentist and endodontist trying to figure out what was wrong. It went on for 6-9 months. I thought I was going to lose my mind. Actually I think I did and finally I saw and endo. that said it wasn't dental related but neurological. I ended going to a neuro that he recommended and found that I had a malfunction of the 2nd half of the trigeminal nerve. I had an MRI and it showed that I had inflammation of the trigeminal nerve. Finally I had an answer. I still have pain and take medications to help it. There is no cure it just stays or goes. At least it can be controlled to some extent with meds. I don't want to scare you but that is what ended up being my problem. I don't know why the enamel would where away on your tooth. I hope you figure it out. Please write back and let us know how you are doing. Also check with your dentist or regular doctor to find out if it could be related to your trigeminal nerve.

Hang in there,
sg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
(female)

mp31 HB User

I had a ct scane of my brain and I did see a neurologist but she said I had headaches. Would a ct scan show the t. nerve?

Old 06-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
(female)

CTmom HB User

I don't know if this will help at all, but I also wore a nightguard to help prevent grinding my teeth. At first I had no problems and it fit well. It was a hard nightguard custom-made by my dentist. Over time, however, my teeth shifted and I began to get severe pain in two particular teeth. It was like you described - a pressure-like pain. Fortunately mine stopped when I stopped using the nightguard. Perhaps your mouthguard was not a good fit. Have you stopped using it?

On an unrelated note - like the poster above I also had severe pain in two lower molars that just would not quit (not the teeth bothered by the mouthguard). I too was diagnosed with a neuralgia of the trigeminal nerve and take medication to help control (but not stop it). I had seen multiple dentists and endodontists before this to try to figure out where the pain was coming from. My condition was diagnosed with an MRI. Sorry, I don't know if a CT scan can do this. Best wishes!

Closed Thread