It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

cb50 HB User
have a question about abcess & infection

I've been reading on here about abcessed teeth....I didn't know it was an actual infection. I am under the impression that people don't know they have an abcess until it starts hurting, is that right? Is it a silly question to ask if you start taking antibiotics before it turns into a true abcess, can you stop the abcess from occuring? I guess I didn't know what it really was until I started reading what others were saying about it on here, and everyone says it's an infection that is treated with antibiotics before the dentist takes care of it. I don't really understand why it turns into an infection to begin with, but I just started wondering if you started to take antibiotics at the first little hint of pain, would it prevent the abcess from occuring?

Old 06-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
(female)

suzyisdizzy HB User
Re: have a question about abcess & infection

The above poster is right.
I've had 2 abcessed teeth. The pain is like nothing you've ever had before!
The reason the abcess occurs is because the tooth is dead. Meaning the nerves and pulp inside the tooth are all black and dead. When something is dead it causes an infection. The infection is at the base of the root. The only way to get it out is to have a root canal and open the tooth up and clean it out, drain the infection out the hole of the tooth, or have the whole tooth pulled out and the infection drain out of the socket.
Then is no way of preventing the infection, except for making sure all your teeth are healthy and that you don't have any deep cavities.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

NitroChic HB User

And to scare some sense into you, DONT MESS with it. The consequesnce can be devastating.....I went to a dentist that pulled an absess tooth before treating with antibiotics. Now I have a deep bone infection in the jaw. I have gone through one bone debridment surgery and scheduled for another. This mean they have gone in and cut the dead bone out. I now will be losing 4 perfectly good teeth in the process, because we are having a difficult time finding an antibiotic that will stop the infection. Please dont wait...dont let the fear of the dentist keep you from going....believe me...it is not worth it.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User

Yeah I agree like the previous posters I had two at the same time, I was popping pills like crazy but the pain was unbelievable and the pills couldn't touch it! when I rang my doctor, in the night for some stronger pain relief, he told me to drive to the all night surgery, and that he wouldn't come out as not emergency! I couldn't sit still let alone drive a car! I then shook all over (weide) and the pain went! From talking to people I assume my body produced its natural pain killing adrenaline, and it worked! so it gives you an idea of the pain!

Sometimes the abcess will burst, and that can relieve the pain also, as the pressure has been releived.

As far as I am aware, I think you only know when an infection is there when the pain starts due to pressure building up due to the abcess.

Last edited by brook65; 06-08-2006 at 05:14 PM.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

My nephews face swelled up from an infected molar-and when he finally went to the dentist-they told him he had SEVEN abscesses! So he's thinking about removal and getting snap in dentures..

Old 06-09-2006, 04:23 AM   #6
(female)

corricatt HB User

An abcess (infection) is formed in the bone surrounding a tooth (usually at the root) when bacteria is introduced to the nerve chamber. People with no decay or perdiodontal problems will not get abcesses in their mouth. People with decay, perio and cracked teeth are open to infection.

They don't really burst, they find a path through the porous bone to escape, thus relieving the pressure. That is called a fistula. Don't pop a fistula because the pus that comes out is poisonous. Dental abcesses were one of the leading causes of death in medieval days.

The best thing to do when you feel the pain of an abcess is get to a dentist immediately and get on antibiotics!!

Old 06-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
(female)

Border3899 HB User

The other thing to keep in mind is that antibiotics will cure the infection temporarily but you need to have to tooth causing the problem root canaled or pulled. Just taking antibiotics will only cover it up for a short time, the abcess will come back until the tooth is treated.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

NitroChic HB User

Thanks Corricat.. I dont want anyone else to have to go through 2 bone debridments(sp) and now I have PIC line insertion scheduled for monday.......all because I was affraid of the dentist.......

Old 06-05-2007, 09:44 AM   #9
(female)

stardust3110 HB User
Question Re: have a question about abcess & infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by corricatt View Post
An abcess (infection) is formed in the bone surrounding a tooth (usually at the root) when bacteria is introduced to the nerve chamber. People with no decay or perdiodontal problems will not get abcesses in their mouth. People with decay, perio and cracked teeth are open to infection.

They don't really burst, they find a path through the porous bone to escape, thus relieving the pressure. That is called a fistula. Don't pop a fistula because the pus that comes out is poisonous. Dental abcesses were one of the leading causes of death in medieval days.

The best thing to do when you feel the pain of an abcess is get to a dentist immediately and get on antibiotics!!
I had a root canal done about 5 years ago, but the replaced tooth broke off about 14 months ago. i went to the dentist a week ago and to my horror i was told i have a cronic abcess - strangly i don't have any pain.
My question is, everynow and again i break out in small itchy bumps on my arms, tummy and the middle area of my back - could this be due to the toxins leaching into my system from the abcess?

Closed Thread