It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #1

loulou1874 HB User
Tooth Pain Under a Bridge

I have a dental bridge from my right canine to my right second pre-molar. The first premolar has been removed entirely and the second preomolar has had root canal therapy as it had an abscess. This root canal therapy was performed approximately two years ago. The only live tooth underneath the bridge is the canine. I have been experiencing pain/pressure in this entire area of my mouth for almost two months now. It is very hard for me to localize this pain as the bridge is basically three teeth (two real/one fake) joined together. I feel like the only relief of this pain/pressure would be if I could just remove this bridge. My dentist obviously does not want to do that. My xrays do not show any obvious problems. Is it possible that an ill-fiting bridge could cause this sort of pain/pressure feeling? What else could be causing this sort of discomfort? The canine in front of the bridge is still alive and when "cold" tested has a dull response.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
(female)

corricatt HB User
Re: Tooth Pain Under a Bridge

How soon after having the bridge inserted did the pain start??

A cold test will tell you if your nerve is dying. Often, a tooth will hurt from trauma, in which the periodontal ligament becomes inflamed. This ligament surrounds the tooth and isf very different from the nerve inside the tooth.

Have your dentist check your bite. You might be banging on one tooth alot harder than you used to causing the pain you're feeling. If it's the PDL and the bite is adjusted it will get better in a matter of a day or two.

If the nerve is the culprit.. well, you know the drill (no pun intended) another root canal..

by the way.. root canaled teeth sometimes need to be retreated. What did the x-ray show for the roots of both teeth holding your bridge?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
(female)

Obergurgl HB User
Re: Tooth Pain Under a Bridge

Hi Loulou. I have EXACTLY the same problem! Last June I got a bridge - three front teeth. One had previously been extracted and one was already a crown so only one live tooth had to be drilled down. When it came to sticking in the new bridge, as it was still so painful, the dentist decided just to use temporary cement again in case there was a problem. That was all a year ago and still the temporary cement is sticking - and still the pain is there! I saw her last week and she says the pain is just because she went so close to the nerve and in time it will dull! She's all for sticking it in with permanent cement now but I know that when she pulls this one out she will have to drill the temporary cement off the tooth - and I've been down that road before - PAINFUL! She now tells me that she had a crown for 18 years before the pain subsided! Good luck.

Closed Thread