It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
(female)

girl_with_a_bob HB User
Braces and military

I currently wear braces. I got them on a few months ago, and I still have about 2 years in my treatment time left. I plan to enlist in the army this summer after I graduate. My question is what happens when I go in the military, with my braces? Can I still see my orthodontist, or do they have ones that I'll have to see? Also, will I have to keep paying my orthodontist if I am not able to keep seeing him? Anyone have any helpful info, or in this situation now? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
(female)

Ariom HB User
Re: Braces and military

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_with_a_bob
I currently wear braces. I got them on a few months ago, and I still have about 2 years in my treatment time left. I plan to enlist in the army this summer after I graduate. My question is what happens when I go in the military, with my braces? Can I still see my orthodontist, or do they have ones that I'll have to see? Also, will I have to keep paying my orthodontist if I am not able to keep seeing him? Anyone have any helpful info, or in this situation now? Thanks in advance.

HI there, When you enlist in the army, yes...you will still have keep paying your orthodontist whatever you might owe him. He gave you the braces and if you didn't pay him in full, he will continue to bill you. This is something you might want to discuss with him. You don't want to ruin your credit! Also when you enlist, are you even sure you will be staying in the same city, or for that matter even in the same state? I seriously doubt it. I am not by any means, being rude, just speaking from experience is all. When you join any of the armed forces, basically you BELONG to the Goverment, so to answer your question, they have there own Doc's and dentists.

Let me know if this was helpful...also when you go and speak to the sponsor in the army this is a question you can ask them as well. Good luck to you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
(female)

girl_with_a_bob HB User

Thanks Ariom for the info. I know I won't be in the same state, that's why I was curious about this. Did you have braces while in the military?

Old 06-09-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
(female)

Ariom HB User

No i wasn't but my boyfriend was. he did tell me to tell you that you need to speak to the recruiter. They should have the answer for you about seeing their dentists, but he did say they basically own you, so especially during Basic, you will only be allowed to see there doctors and dentists. I hope you didn't think I wa being rude. I read my post after and worried about. I know you are very young, and going through alot, everything is going to be okay. try talking to your orthodontist too, he should have alot of information regarding this situation. are you sure you are going to the military already?

Let me know okay? Talk to you soon.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
(male)

m2bozz HB User

Orthodontic appliances (braces) are acceptable for Delayed Entry Program enlistment. To go on active duty, active treatment must be completed and the braces removed. (NOTE: Removal of the braces before completion of active treatment is disqualifying.)
This is from a Air Force website but it is the same for all branches of service. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
(female)

girl_with_a_bob HB User

Thanks for the info m2bozz and Ariom. So this means I can't go into the army until my braces are removed by the orthodontist in 2 years? And if I have the orthodontist remove my braces now that would disqualify me from entrance into the army? What about after my braces are removed and I am in retainers, will I still have to wait for entry?

I didn't have braces when I met with the recruiter in the fall, in fact they weren't even a thought then. Shortly after that meeting my parents made me get braces to correct the overcrowding that was worsened by my wisdom teeth coming in. This is so disappointing, I didn't even want to get the braces! I graduate next week and had plans to be in basic by the fall. I don't know what to do, I would go have my braces removed, but it seems it won't help.

Ariom,

You weren't rude. I appreciate your honesty, and help.

Old 06-10-2006, 04:40 AM   #7
(male)

m2bozz HB User

You could still enlist as long as no one knows that you have had braces. But since you already have braces and your teeth have been moving. I think you are at higher risks of getting migraines, earaches or ringing in the ears, clenching or grinding of the teeth, and neck shoulder stiffness. This is what is happening to me, but this was 10 years after my top braces were removed. I know you can enter the military with a retainer because one of the guys in boot camp got one sent to him.

Old 06-10-2006, 05:32 AM   #8
(female)

girl_with_a_bob HB User

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to talk to my ortho about having my braces removed. I've only had them on for 2 months, how much movement could have occured in that short time? M2bozz, did you have your braces removed before your active treatment was completed? Do you really think I should continue with my treatment? Do you think I could really develop problems from having my braces taken off before my treatment is finished? Thanks so much for all of your help.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #9
(male)

m2bozz HB User

I had a two phase treatment, but I never finished the second part of the treatment. I then went into the military right after high school and had my wisdom teeth extracted and it made my teeth a little bit more crooked. Which has now caused all my different problems. My teeth don't look bad but my bite feels off. I have been to so many doctors in military and I asked once about getting braces and they told me teeth were not bad. If I had this to do all over again. I would have got braces in college and got a degree so I could be an officer or just be enlisted with a degree. No matter what the gi bill goes directly to your college loan. Unlike when I get out you get just a certain amount every quarter. Back to braces, if your teeth were not that crooked in the first place then I guess it wouldn't matter about getting them removed.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #10
(female)

girl_with_a_bob HB User

I guess I do have to admit that my teeth are pretty crooked. I actually have a crossbite, and some jaw issues since my wisdom teeth erupted. That's why my treatment time is approx 2yrs.

My teeth were always crooked, but they got worse after my wisdom teeth too. I refused to have them out, and then after that they kept getting infected, and they were growing in crooked. I had to get them out because of all the infections and jaw problems, but because they were growing in crooked they shifted all my other teeth too. My parents would only pay for my extractions if agreed to finally get braces, so here I am.

I am going to call my ortho on Monday and see if I can get them removed, and what I can expect.

m2bozz---You would have finished your treatment, gone to college and then enlisted? How long were you supposed to wear braces for? Sorry to bug you so much, but you're so helpful, and we seem like we have/had a sorta similar situation. Thanks for all your help.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #11
(male)

m2bozz HB User

I wore braces for a year and a half. Then I was to go back to the orthodontist after all my teeth came in which was only 8 months. But my parents did not have the money to get me fully braced. Now years later I have all types of problems.

deleted
do not mention other websites

Last edited by Administrator; 10-20-2006 at 05:55 AM.

Old 06-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #12
(female)

girl_with_a_bob HB User

I'm sorry you have had so many problems with your teeth. I suspect you think I should stay in braces until my treatment is finished. I probably should, but I'm torn between what I want to do, and what I should do. I'll set up a meeting with my ortho. Will you get braces again when you're out of the military?

Old 06-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #13
(female)

girl_with_a_bob HB User

Hey m2bozz,

Just an update. I spoke with my ortho and my recruiter today. My ortho said he highly advises against removing my braces before my treatment is completed. He said it could make my jaw problems worse, and could damage my teeth from uneven wear.

You were right about the info you gave me. My recruiter said since my braces are already on, the DODMERB says I am "ineligeable until active treatment is satisfactorialy completed". He enter under the deffered entry program, so when I get my braces off in 2 yrs I can enter. He also suggested that I go to college for those two years so I can enter in a better position. And my retainers won't be a problem for me to enter basic either.

So, it looks like I'm stuck in these braces for the next 2yrs. Thanks for all of your help.

How are your teeth by the way? Are you feeling any better? Will you be getting braces again soon?

Old 06-12-2006, 03:48 PM   #14
(male)

m2bozz HB User

I hope everything goes well during your teatment. You never know you might be getting them off earlier than 2 years. I would definitely do college first, that way you could go in as a warrent officer or just officer. I guess it depends what you are willing to get out of the military. Do you know what job you were trying for?

I am doing alright, I had some pain this weekend but I don't have much right now. I'll be going to the orofacial pain clinic this week. It seems that the military never treats the underlying condition they just mask it with medicine.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:54 PM   #15
(female)

girl_with_a_bob HB User

Hey m2bozz,

That sucks that they can't seem to do anything about the pain. Do you wear a night guard, or a splint? I had to wear one before I got my braces, and I also had a repositioning splint. It sounds like you have some of the same TMJ stuff going on that I had before my braces.

I am trying for a job as a medic, or mechanic. What job do you do?

Let me know how you make out at the orofacial pain clinic this week. I get my braces tightened this week, I'll keep you in my thoughts. Keep me posted

Closed Thread