It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 07:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Dentures and the letter S

On June 23rd it will be my 3month mark for my dentures. I'm still having problems with saying anything with an "S" or "X". Last week I asked the person who does my relines about this, she says I need to PRACTICE more. I told her I do and I talk ALL the time and it NEVER improves. She still says practice more.

Is this a problem with me not practicing ENOUGH or is something up with my denture??? ( I almost hope its me, trying to tell this lady I'm having a problem goes in one ear and out the other. Like it couldn't possibly be anything they have done).

Hope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
(female)

blueheartlady HB User
Re: Dentures and the letter S

Hey Hope !!!!!!!!!

It's been sooo long since we've talked with each other!! Don't give up the ship yet!! June 4th was 5 months for me and at times I still have a problem with "s"....it's getting better, but it does still happen....Do you think your's might be just a tiny tiny bit too long at the end of your jaws? I had to get just a little trimmed off of mine way back....I know all they know to answer you with is to keep practicing - it'll get better!!! But it's plain frustrating! If they could only trade shoes for just a little while maybe they would learn to be a little more sympathetic...and actually learn to care about their patients..

How are things going with the family? Have ya'll been getting all that rain I've been seeing on the weather channel?

Lots and loths of hugs,
Jackie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

Hey Jackie!!! Longtime no talk!!

Should I ask them to trim some of the partial on the bottom, or some off the back on my upper?

The family is good, how is your family? Oh YES the rain, I'm sick to death of it! If its warm out we rain, if its cold out its dry. I hope we don't have another crummy summer. How's your weather?

Hope

[Please avoid cuss/slang words. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 06-09-2006 at 08:05 PM.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
(female)

Ariom HB User

HI Jackie...Sorry about all the rain, we had a bit of bad weather today here in South Florida, but what else is new, it's hurricane season, and it rains just about everyday for about 1 hr, just enough to make every beautiful and green. So how is everything with the dentures coming along??? I am getting mine down this Mnday.....I am getting nervous, but looking forward to a beautiful smile again. Been trying not to think about the gagging thing, but I am sure it will take some time getting use to it. Hope everything is going great with your teeth. keep in touch!!!

Old 06-09-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
(female)

blueheartlady HB User

Evening Hope
Sweetie, I really don't know what to tell you! Everywhere I've read about regaining our speech - all it says is to practice and speak more slowly....that is just soooo frustrating! I have read on other web sites that if the problems with speech don't improve after a period of time that it could be caused by ill-fitting dentures. Are your's loose? Do they move around (slip) when you are talking? If they are - that could be causing the whistling sounds....and I know everyone has problems with "S"....Like I told you earlier, it's been 5 mos. for me on the 4th and I'm still having some problems with certain words....trying to say the word "Dollars" gives me fits I just can't say it without it sounding goofy....There's a lot of times that I just have to stop right in the middle of what I'm saying - take a minute and try again....there's several words and sounds that give me problems, but that one is the worst....I just try to take it in stride and keep going. It all just takes time, I know.....

Glad to hear you and your family are all doing well....Yeah, I've been thinking about you when I've been watching the weather channel....

We haven't had nearly enough of rain! We've still been under 'NO BURN BANS'
With all the debris left over from the hurricane, there's been alot of fires...keeping all of the volunteer fire depts. busy....But I'm afraid with the hurricane season already here again we won't be complaining about that too much longer.

My husband is staying gone alot....this week he's been gone since Wednesday. Two weeks before he was gone 11 of them....but that's the life we live....

My little grandson is growing so fast.. He was 9 mos. on the 4th...He's such a joy!! Not to say that there aren't days that he gets the best of me!!!!! You know we all love our children so much! I've had people ask me what it feels like with grandchildren...I always tell them - It's the most instantaneous love you will ever experience in you life!!! It is truly a blessing.

Old 06-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #6
(female)

NYtoTN HB User

Hope... Sorry you're having a problem speaking. I guess I'm lucky because I'm not having a problem with my speech. But when I was younger I had to wear a retainer for quite a while and I probably got used to talking with a plastic palette back then and my mouth just remembered... But I know how frustrating it is when the folks at the dentists office say that it takes time to get used to living with dentures. They're not in our position. So how can they really know.

Ariom... Your big day is almost here. I remember how much I dreaded my day. And to make it worse, when I got to the dentists office I was 15 minutes late and they told me that I wouldn't get my immediates that day because I was late. So I chose to come back the following day because I didn't want to got a day without teeth. I had to go through that stressful drive to the dentist 2 days in a row. But it's all behind me now. And I guess it's like childbirth. After it's over, you're so happy that it's behind you, and you have something beautiful to show for it that you forget the stress and pain.... Then the period of adjustment starts. It's quite a journey.

Jackie, aren't grandsons wonderful? I have 3. They are 20 mos, 4 yrs and 9 yrs old. And they are the loves of my life. But I would sure love a little grand-daughter to dress up.
Hubby and I moved here to Nashville from NYC about 2 yrs ago. And I miss my daughter and grandchildren so much. They will be spending the summer here and i can't wait. I'm already planning our outtings.
We had to move out of NYC because they passed a law banning exotic animals. And we had a small primate rescue for many years. And rather than give up the monkeys that we raised as if they were our own children, we decided to move to a place where they were legal. My son had already moved here. So we came to Nashville. It's very nice here. But I am so homesick all the time. Maybe I should be glad that I'm having to spend so much time getting used to my dentures. It's taking my mind off of being homesick.

Have a great weekend ladies!

Old 06-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
(female)

blueheartlady HB User

Hi NYtoTN....

Yes grandchildren are wonderful!!! I have 4 of them....granddaughter - 8; grandson - 4; granddaughter - 2; and grandson - 9 mos. They are the joy of my life!! I am very lucky that both of my daughters live less than a 10-20 minute drive from me....I keep the 9 month old every day for my youngest daughter. It gets trying at times, but I'm glad to be taking care of him. I know you must miss your daughter sooo much. I pray that I never have to face that...

What an interesting life you live!!! It's got to be such a wonderful feeling to be able to raise them. I can understand your decision completely. Once you've raised an animal no matter which type you love them...I know I do! They become like my babies....good thing about living out in the country...I get to take care of all kinds of critters. I always feeding whatever comes up...wild or tame....

Yes, this new adventure into "Denture Land" is a day by day process, isn't it? I try and stay positive and keep right on going....deal with whatever I'm faced with....as it comes....

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, too....look forward to talking with you again...

Jackie

Closed Thread