It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
(female)

blueheartlady HB User
Hello Ariom!

Hello Ariom
I've been thinking about you..Keeping my grandson, I don't get much time to sit down and post....The 12th is just around the corner!!! I know all kinds of emotions are probably racing through your head....It will all be over and behind you before you know it....and you'll be posting on here and helping everyone else! Having each other to talk with helps sooo much! It gives our families ears a rest to, doesn't it ....I know I drove my husband crazy with it....It was all I talked about!!! It totally consumed me....he was glad that I found this site so I could talk to all my new friends....Honestly, he has been so supportive and has taken such good care of me - I couldn't have made it through all of this without him.

Have you made all of your preparations? Have you stocked up for the wonderful "liquid and soft food diet"? And you know, I hadn't even thought about getting any supplies for my new "chosen teeth"....and the morning I had surgery when we stopped at the CVS (I never knew it!!!!)for my pain meds, he bought the denture bath, and denture cleanser and everything that he thought that I would need!! Ibuprofen, ice packs (bags of frozen peas work really good, too), gauze pads, etc.......

Let me hear from you, when you get the chance, okay?

Hugs,
Jackie

Old 06-11-2006, 05:44 AM   #2
(female)

Ariom HB User
Re: Hello Ariom!

jackie you are an This is what i wrote to NYtoTN....pls read and tell me what you think.

Good morning NYtoTN, How are things going? Adjusting to dentures? Thanks for remembering me about my appt., on Monday. I am going to be frankly honest after waiting for 2yrs, I started this process back in Oct 2004. mainly because I am getting all my work done at NOVA dental school here in South FL. So you have to be very patient when it comes to students doing the work, and you can tell I have. The good news I have is that my 5yr olf grand-daughter is flying in from Dallas, TX. on Wed the 14th. So I am having 2nd thoughts of actually getting this done tomorrow. I have not cancelled yet. But I have called my dentist since last week, and she has yet to call me back, because I had some questions about how I am going to feel and other questions as well. My appt time would be at 1pm...and she arrives on Wed at 10am EST.( my grand-daughter) I want her to have a good time, and I want to be able to tend to her needs, afterall she is only 5yrs old. I am getting full top and bottoms done, and I have alot of concerns. Whenever I have gone to the school they just advise what they are going to do, any worries you might have, they address them, but they tell you what this best for you. I totally understand what they are saying, but I am not some rat in a cage, I am human being, and school or no school, I think they should treat me like a person and not another body in there chair for a grade. You might say, okay I am chickening out, you know it could be, perhaps I am trying to find an excuse not to get it done yet. But in reality, I have too. My bottom teeth are okay ( bottom ones that is ), there is some receding gum, but there are salvagable ( I went to another dentist, private practice and he said he could have them fixed and not to get them pulled), I talked to the school about it, and they said no way, I need a full bottom. The uppers I am totally aware of, I only have a remaining 6 teeth left in the front, after the school extracted the remainder. I am so confused my head is spinning in every direction. I don't know.....I figure I will get this done, after my grand daughter goes back to Dallas. She is flying solo, with a buddy , you know that is what they call the flight attendant that tends to minors flying by themselves. I know you cannot make that decision for me, nor can anyone else, I have to make up my own mind. I feel as though I am going insane. I just wish my dentist would have returned the numerous calls I left on her cell. That is how you communicate with the student doing the work. Should I put it off until she leaves......should all my questions be answeredd before getting all this work done? You could say well you had 2 yrs...this much is true. But actually the day I was supposed to get dentures was back in march, but she; the dentist was going through some personal probelms, which is undersandable, who doesn't have problems, and then she called and said June 12th. So go figure.....I don't have a clue, except while writing this, now I feel more confused then ever. Just remember, I want to get it done. But on my part I think the timing is wrong. I have waited this long, so I feel I should wait until my grand-daughter is gone. I don't get to see her much, infact harldy ever. it has been almost 2 yrs since the last visit. I guess I just needed to vent is all. If you have insight and what I can expect from dentureland, pls give my some info. I am sure this is a tall order, but I am trying very hard to sort things out in my head.

Ariom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2006, 05:52 AM   #3
(female)

Ariom HB User

Hi Jackie, See you mention did I get al my stuff ready...answer to your question, NO!!! I have tried numerous times to contact the dentist and she has never called me back. So since my last visit she never gave me instructions on what to do and what to xpect. They usually cancel on me, because they have exams, or they are out for spring break. I am terribly confused, this is why I have searched for a site like this. I don't know what to expect tomorrrow, they never even talked about it with me. I have yet to even see the immediate dentures. I know as I mentioned in my post to NYtoTN, that no one can make this decision for me, but for some reason, I am thinking of waiting for my grand-daughter return to Dallas. It just might be the best thing. I am not wanting to stress of my grand-daughter. She calls my everydy, and says, Nene, that si what she calls me it is so cute. She says "Don't forget to pick me at the airport. I want to go the beach...and I want this and that. You know how little ones can be. This is all just bad timing. I don't know! This is my dilemma. Pls help me see the light.

Talking helps....Ariom.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
(female)

blueheartlady HB User

Good morning, Ariom

I can understand completely all the questions going through your head!!! And you're right the final choice comes down to you!! No one can answer that for you. I'm sure it's really different going through a school to get your work done...The only thing I can tell you is that I had all (27) of mine extracted on a Wednesday morning. My daughter took off 2 days work and then her husband took off that Friday so I wouldn't have to keep the baby....My husband took me out to do our shopping on Saturday...and then I started keeping my grandbaby again on Monday...he was only 3 mos. old....After the first day or two I felt perfectly fine...just my gums were sore...couldn't eat anything...but no pain...just uncomfortable pains...that ibuprofen took care of with no problem. I was just really self-conscious about that huge foreign object that was in my mouth.. ...but I can understand your concerns! I know you want to be able to enjoy your granddaughter. If you do cancel your appt. for tomorrow, how long would it be before you can re-schedule?
If you are in this much turmoil about your decision, all I can say is to do what you truly and honestly think is the best for you...Whatever decision you do make, just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

I'm here for you, okay....

Hugs,
Jackie

Old 06-11-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
(female)

Ariom HB User

Hi Jackie...Hugs right back at you!!! Well going to a dental school is quite different, but I am sure she could re-schedule me within the next 3 weeks, which in a way would be okay. I have waited this long and I can wait again. See Jackie, my grand-daughter is coming from Texas, I have to pick her up at the gate because she is only 5 yrs old. I though about it since I have woken up, ad I called the dentist on her cell, and left her a voice mail, just as I did last week 3 times because I had some questions. She never returned my call. but I know they are students and get busy. So for my sake and everyone aroudn me, because like you said, you talke about it all the time. My finacee is going nuts, he doesn't say it, he listens. but I have done nothing but talk about this. He says do what my heart tells me. My heart tells me my grand-daughter comes first right now. When she leaves I can finally finish taking care of my teeth. I don't know why the dentist never told me what to expect, all she said, is that it would feel different having all these teeth in my mouth, but never gave a list of things and what to do. So I am going to wait for her to call back, if she does. I feel so bad now!! See I have done nothing but stress myself out and become sad. When I should be happy!!! If my grand-daughter lived here in Florida that would be one thing, but she is so far away. I have 2 children, both live in Texas.

Please post...I know you are busy, but pls keep in touch.

Ariom

Old 06-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
(female)

Ritaann HB User

Hi Ariom
I think you should do whatever feels right for you.If it was me, I believe I would wait till the grand daughter leaves (Just in case you feel not up to par)unless you are in pain with your teeth of course.Myself, I had extractions and immediates placed with out a bit of pain and had no problems at all,but I guess it's different with every person.Also this sounds silly but when you start this adventure,I think most people are obsessed with there mouth lol and for reason.This could possibly take away from the enjoyment of your special little visitor.anyway what ever you decide I wish you the very best!!I am thinking of you.
Hugs from me
Rita

Old 06-12-2006, 05:35 AM   #7
(female)

Ariom HB User

Good morning Rita, Okay let me try this again....I had already written my reply to you and was about to hit post, and then my system crashed ...I hate that! Well I thought about it long and hard and after finally getting a call back from my student/dentist, she told me if I could wait , to go ahead and wait until my granddaughter leaves. I almost laughed, wait??? I have been waiting for nearly 2 years for this. I am sure you have read I am getting my dental work done at NSU Nova dental School in S. Florida, which is only about 10 minutes from where I live. They have been great for now, although I have been moved from one student to the other. But other than that, it requires alot of patience. I have had 2 root canals, no probelms, no pain. I then have had many cleanins and tha was great. then 10 extractions, no swelling, nothing, I was just fine. So they are doing a great job, the only thing I think they lack is caring about there patients. but I guess that will come when they get there own practice. but they should really start concentraing on that right away.

My granddaughter will be arriving in Ft. lauderdale on Wed at 10am. I am so excited since I really don't get much time with her, since she lives in Texas. I just can't wait. But for some reason in all this I feel guilty, I feel as though I should be tough enough to go ahead and get it done regardless. I don't know. But I have made up my mind, and waiting is all I can do. But I am getting it done. Okay did that make any sense whatsoever. Guess I am trying to convince myself.lololol

I talked to her about perhaps there students should log onto this site and learn from what people say about getting dentures and other dental issues, she advised the less time I spend on boards like this, the better. Okay, hello????? I told her the raeson I went looking for a board like this was because I could never get answers, schools are there for making appts., sitting you down like a piece of meat, and away they go, extracting, cleaning and have no professional manners at all. She didn't say much, and told me just to call her when my granddaughter was going back to dallas. I then couldn't help myself and continued to tell her that if it wasn't for this board, I didn't know where I would be. Just I guess. I have found more support and answers on this board then I have found sitting in that dental chair.

Well...do you have uppers and bottoms? How are you adjusting, fine I hope? Do you keep your teeth in all day? I know when I get mine, I am not taking them out for anything, excpet when I am sleeping, because I have waited so long for this, I don't care how much pain I might be in. plese let me know how you are doing and if you have pointers.

Thanks for posting I truly apprecaite it.

Ariom

Hugs right back at you!!!!

Closed Thread