It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
(female)

NYtoTN HB User
Adjustments to Dentures

Well, I don't want to recommend this. But after many visits back to the dentist for adjustments I was still having problems with the fit of my dentures (top and partial bottom). The last time I left with them worse then when I got there.
So I thought about where the problem spots were and I got a nail file and filed down all the parts that ere hurting. They now fit perfectly.
It's very difficult to explain to someone else exactly where the pain is and what is causing it. The dentist was making adjustments the way HE thought was best. But only I knew what the problems actually were. So I fixed them.
I always said "If you want something done right.... do it yourself"...LOL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
(female)

Ariom HB User
Re: Adjustments to Dentures

Good morning NYtoTN, How are things going? Adjusting to dentures? Thanks for remembering me about my appt., on Monday. I am going to be frankly honest after waiting for 2yrs, I started this process back in Oct 2004. mainly because I am getting all my work done at NOVA dental school here in South FL. So you have to be very patient when it comes to students doing the work, and you can tell I have. The good news I have is that my 5yr olf grand-daughter is flying in from Dallas, TX. on Wed the 14th. So I am having 2nd thoughts of actually getting this done tomorrow. I have not cancelled yet. But I have called my dentist since last week, and she has yet to call me back, because I had some questions about how I am going to feel and other questions as well. My appt time would be at 1pm...and she arrives on Wed at 10am EST.( my grand-daughter) I want her to have a good time, and I want to be able to tend to her needs, afterall she is only 5yrs old. I am getting full top and bottoms done, and I have alot of concerns. Whenever I have gone to the school they just advise what they are going to do, any worries you might have, they address them, but they tell you what this best for you. I totally understand what they are saying, but I am not some rat in a cage, I am human being, and school or no school, I think they should treat me like a person and not another body in there chair for a grade. You might say, okay I am chickening out, you know it could be, perhaps I am trying to find an excuse not to get it done yet. But in reality, I have too. My bottom teeth are okay ( bottom ones that is ), there is some receding gum, but there are salvagable ( I went to another dentist, private practice and he said he could have them fixed and not to get them pulled), I talked to the school about it, and they said no way, I need a full bottom. The uppers I am totally aware of, I only have a remaining 6 teeth left in the front, after the school extracted the remainder. I am so confused my head is spinning in every direction. I don't know.....I figure I will get this done, after my grand daughter goes back to Dallas. She is flying solo, with a buddy , you know that is what they call the flight attendant that tends to minors flying by themselves. I know you cannot make that decision for me, nor can anyone else, I have to make up my own mind. I feel as though I am going insane. I just wish my dentist would have returned the numerous calls I left on her cell. That is how you communicate with the student doing the work. Should I put it off until she leaves......should all my questions be answeredd before getting all this work done? You could say well you had 2 yrs...this much is true. But actually the day I was supposed to get dentures was back in march, but she; the dentist was going through some personal probelms, which is undersandable, who doesn't have problems, and then she called and said June 12th. So go figure.....I don't have a clue, except while writing this, now I feel more confused then ever. Just remember, I want to get it done. But on my part I think the timing is wrong. I have waited this long, so I feel I should wait until my grand-daughter is gone. I don't get to see her much, infact harldy ever. it has been almost 2 yrs since the last visit. I guess I just needed to vent is all. If you have insight and what I can expect from dentureland, pls give my some info. I am sure this is a tall order, but I am trying very hard to sort things out in my head.

Ariom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #3
(female)

Iwant2quit HB User

Cancel your appt I had my tops pulled in December and I was miserable for 2 weeks. It was gross and disgusting! I was constantly cleaning my mouth. So I would wait until ur grand daughter leaves! So u both can enjoy the visit! Ok I didn't mean to chime in on the convo, but i caught the adjusting to dentures. Have a great visit with the grand daughter

Old 06-11-2006, 08:10 AM   #4
(female)

Ariom HB User

H IwantToquit, Don't apologize for chimming in, that's okay. that is why we post, for encouragement and information. I know I have to do this, but I totally agree. I made myself sick after I posted that. My stomach is a nervous wreck.. I firmly believe I am going to wait until my granddaughter leaves. I know I am going to be in pain, and I am not going to have her here and not have fun, while I am in bed and not being able to treat her with attention and tons of fun. I know some of my friends on this board will disagree with me, but I am not keeping my appt. tomorrow. I have already called the dentist cell phone, and she didn't answer and left her a voicemail. they have cancelled on me,( this was supposed to be done in March ) so this time I am going to re-schedule my date. She won't have fun with me in this denture situation. She shouldn't have to suffer because I cannot take care of her. It's not like she lives next door, I don't get to see her often at all. The next time I am will be able to see her is next year.

I hope you are okay, I know one thing it does take some time, I watched my mother go through this, and it wasn't a piece of cake. She adjusted well to the uppers, but it didn't come with a price. She was at the dentists office every other day. I cannot drag my grand-daughter each time.

Well thanks for the post and keep in touch with your denture venture

Ariom....Thanks again for posting.

Talk to you soon.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
(female)

Ariom HB User

I answered your post, but I wanted to apologze for not getting your user name correctly. SORRY!!!! Also I know I am going to have a good time, I have been looking forward to this for a long time.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
(female)

meincognito HB User

NytoTN, thank you for your post!! I had been trying to work up the courage to adjust mine myself, as well. After I read your post, I got out a bunch of emery boards, sandpaper, and my trusty Dremel, with the small tapered stone tip. It is like a miracle! Obviously, this is only for those with a steady hand and similar experience, but I think it is more of an art than a science, and dentists aren't necessarily artistic.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #7
(female)

NYtoTN HB User

Ariom, I wish I had a crystal ball and could tell you exactly what to expect tomorrow. But everyone's experience is different. I can feel your anxiety. And I can't blame you.
One thing to consider is ... if you cancel, how long will it take to get another appt. You had to wait so long for this one. Another thing to find out is... will they be available for adjustments when you need them or will they expect you to make an appt for them? It seems like you are at the mercy of theri schedule. And when you have an ill fitting denture you won't want to have to wait for an appt.
Will you be able to care for your grand-daughter on wed? That's difficult to predict. But if you are determined and strong willed you probably can do it. My best friend's mom had top and bottom dentures put in immediately and went home and cooked and ate a speghetti and meatball dinner with no problems at all. But she was determined that the dentures would not get the better of her. And she succeeded. That was 20 yrs ago and she still has the same dentures and never had a problem. I think that if you anticipate a problem, you will probably have one. But if you are optimistic and positive, the experience won't be so bad.
I have a full top and partial bottom. And if I were you I would have the top done first and make an appt for the bottom. The top denture is much easier to get used to. And more than likely you'd be able to enjoy your grand-daughter's visit. But I think you're going to need some extra time to deal with the bottom dentures. I'm still having pain and problems with my bottoms after almost 3 wks.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I wish you luck, sweetie, with whatever you decide to do. Let us know how it goes.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #8
(female)

Iwant2quit HB User

Another thing is I can't stand to eat with my denture in??? Does anyone else have this problem. The dentures take away the REAL TASTE of food, so my food at work does not seem like I am eating and I really don't eat it all, even if I am starving to death!! And I have not been able to let anyone (besides my kids, cause I want them to learn to take care of their teeth) see me without my teeth so I have to wait until my boyfriend (of 18 years) goes to bed to eat! So my life has really been a mess. I still have to get refitted (that comes 6 months later, but u can earlier, but that means u will need to get new dentures sooner; Insurance thing ANY HOOT! I do believe the look is better and I can smile more than I did before I still have my own issue's of addiction so this is a step towards recovery in the long run! everyone have a great night and if anyone can give me any advice to help me with taste/denture glue etc please all the advice is well appreciated!

I hope u have fun with your granddaughter and if u did do it with her there she would learn something about taking care of teeth. My kids brushed their teeth every day etc, cause they didn't want to go through what I did! Please have someone to take care of personal stuff the first 2 days! My fiance was not a very good support, he played video games the whole time I was in pain and trying to get things done on my vacation(what a vacation)
ok night night I am on for a few

Old 06-12-2006, 06:43 AM   #9
(female)

Ariom HB User

I am waiting to get this done, yeah I know, I asked her what is going to happen if I neding some adjustments, she said it would be better at this point, to re-schedule due to the fact that after the immeiates would have been put in, which would have been today, she is going to be off for a while....basically if I had not called her, she would have probably never mentioned that. that is one of the negatives of getting this done at dental college. Although this is a good one. With my granddaughter here I am not going to take any chances. I can't be dragging her with me everytime I would need to go. So I am going to wait. Also I mentioned about first getting my uppers done, and then the bottoms and she said no, the school cannot do that. I am so freaking confused, and when I asked her why, she just said they cannot do that. This probably is just one of the many reasons I am glad I have re-schduled. It doesn't make any sense. What she doesn't understand, is that I am the one having to go through with this..not her. Sometimes I feel as though I some lab rat, and she is just there trying to get a grade for class. but I know they have to learn somewhere. Thanks for posting...Hugs and I hope everything is okay with you. Keep in touch!
Ariom. : )

Old 06-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
(female)

NYtoTN HB User

Hi Ariom
I think that under the circumstances you did the right thing by postponing your procedure. If the dentist wasn't going to be there for adjustments you would have been in bad shape with ill fitting dentures. And you want to be able to have fun with your grand-daughter without being frustrated by your teeth.
It does seem like they are only interested in their grade. And that's probably true. I don't undertand why there isn't a teacher who supervises and is there for the patient if the student is not available.
You should have set another appt when you were talking to her. Did she say when she would be back and able to see you again. I hope you don't have to wait for the entire summer.
Have a great visit with your grand-daughter.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #11
(female)

Ariom HB User

Hi NYtoTN, Actually she called back and we talked about the date, yes I decided the date of denture land would start on July 5th, on a wed.,it is the same day my grand-daughter goes back to Dallas. She will be departing in the am, and I have scheduled the appt., for 1pm again. The dentist will be available for the rest of the summer, so if I have to go back for any problems she will be there for me. They do have professors watching everything they do, but only the student does the work, that is how they get their grade.( however they do step in if something drastic happens ) Another thing they do, if something happens, is they pass you on to another student. I have been with her for so long, I don't want to get passed to another student like a piece of meat! You never know, she is very gentle, and she knows me . I guess I was feeling sort of bad for not going through with it...but then again I think I made the best decision.

Now I am hoping she won't cancel on July 5th...

Old 06-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #12
(female)

NYtoTN HB User

I agree. I think you made a good decision. July 5 is not that far away. And she will be there all summer for adjustments. Sounds like it worked out perfectly. And if you had no problems with all of her other work then she's the right one for you.
So go enjoy yourself. And don't worry anymore.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #13
(female)

Ariom HB User

Thank you so much NYtoTN....I am so happy to have found this board. I don't know where my mind would be know. I bet you could imagine. : ) Yeah, July 5th is around the corner, so I am looking forward to that. Hope no hurricanes hit. We have a bit of a depression down here in South Florida right now. but we needed the rain, no much going on right now for us. Rain wise that is. But thanks again for all your posts, it helps! have a great day.
Ariom...

Closed Thread