It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 02:42 AM   #1
(female)

almondjoy HB User
Wisdom Tooth Removal after Age 40

I have a broken wisdom tooth that can't be repaired. Right now, there is no pain. I am going to have to have the tooth removed, soon. I have big tooth roots and I am not young. When I had teeth removed as a teen, to make room for straighter teeth, my gums bled a long time.

I am so concerned about this situation, but the dentist acts like this is no big deal.

How long will it take to removed the tooth? 5 minutes? 10? 30?

Old 06-11-2006, 06:44 AM   #2
(female)

corricatt HB User
Re: Wisdom Tooth Removal after Age 40

First, is it an upper or a lower?

Second, usually extractions are not a big deal. But what you go into the procedure thinking and believing can make it so.

When children have baby teeth extracted, they bleed like crazy. Biting on gauze for at least 30 minutes (WITHOUT CHANGING IT) will definately help stop the bleeding. Do not take aspirin for a few days beforehand.

Older people have harder bone. That is you might not give up that tooth like an 18 year old would. But don't be alarmed, you will be FINE. Just listen to your dentist, and keep a positive attitude. You are doing the right thing getting it out before an infection starts. That pain is the worst in the world.

Post afterward and let us know how you made out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
(female)

katzfriend HB User

HI there,
I am 43 and 6 weeks ago I had 4 wisdom teeth removed in 50 minutes. Two were totally impacted in my upper jaw, the lower ones were partially impacted. Only one of them gave me a lot of trouble afterwards, pain! I didn't have dry socket, it just hurt. The two upper extraction sites felt fine within a few days, as did one lower, the other one was hurting for a long time. Go to a good oral surgeon and it should be fine!

Last edited by katzfriend; 06-11-2006 at 07:51 AM.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:38 PM   #4
(female)

jtstealth HB User

I am over 40 and last august had the bottom right wisdom tooth pulled and in October had the top two wisdom teeth pulled along with an implant placed. The wisdom tooth i had pulled in august was done with a local. The roots were all combined and shaped like the letter J. The oral surgeon did it and got it out in one piece. No stitches. I developed dry socket a few days later. Not horrific but lasted about a week. My fault I smoke. Now that hole is just about gone. There was no pain after that one, maybe some advil for a day or two.

In october the upper two wisdom teeth were pulled and I had a dental implant in another area. I was put under for this procedure and glad for that. No dry sockets, normal healing and no major pain at all. Again the oral surgeon did the procedure. I had stitches where the upper wisdom teeth were that disolved in a few days.

There are dimples in my gums where these teeth were but they seem to be getting smaller as time goes by.

So all in all i was glad i got it done. The wisdom teeth were starting to bother me and I needed a dental implant too. So i got it done all at once.

I healed fine. I had no pain and did not need to take the vicodins prescribed to me.

You bite on a gauze for an hour and if still bleeding many hours later, you can bite on a wet teabag, the oral surgeon told me i could do this when he called me in the evening to check on me. I did it and it worked. Note that these extraction sites will "weep" blood for a bit of time, not to worry, the blood mixing with saliva makes it look worse than it actually is.

After 24 hours you can rinse with salt water and about a week later you can use the little syringes they give you to rinse out the sockets.

It seems like a lot of folks worry about extractions but really everything they go through is pretty standard.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:18 AM   #5
(female)

almondjoy HB User

Thanks for your replies. I am having my broken wisdom tooth removed next week, under sedation. The sedation will be a pill and nitrous oxide. The dentist said he would make a stitch or two so I would bleed less. I will get some tea. I will drink it and use the tea bags, too.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
(female)

almondjoy HB User

I am having oral sedation before I have the tooth removed. I don't want to hear the bone and tooth crunch in my ears. I don't want to feel the push and pull of the dental insturments. I don't want to gag on blood. I really dread tommorw.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
(female)

corricatt HB User

Maybe you could bring a music player with you - with your favorite music playing LOUDLY maybe you won't hear much and you will have a more positive mental attitude as well as concentrate on the music and not the procedure.

Try thinking about your favorite vacation, or the funniest thing that you have ever laughed at (especially with the nitrous, you'll be giggling away!)

I know you'll be fine! BE POSITIVE!

Old 06-22-2006, 09:56 AM   #8
(female)

almondjoy HB User

WELL....I am done! It's over. I had sedation from a pill and it was quite strong. I don't recall any of the procedure, and I slept all day, afterwards. I am taking 800 mg advil and feel no pain. I didn't enjoy the experience but it was not nearly as miserable as I had imagined it would be.

Thanks for reading.

Closed Thread