HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Dental Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/)
-   -   deep filling still hurting, I have a question? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/400596-deep-filling-still-hurting-i-have-question.html)

cb50 06-13-2006 06:19 AM

deep filling still hurting, I have a question?

I've been following the posts on deep fillings and root canals hurting for weeks and sometimes months after they're done. I had a deep filling done about 6 weeks ago and for the first few days it was fine, then it started hurting off and on. From what I've read on here, this is normal because of how deep the filling is and should eventually subside. Now, my worry is how do I know if there's an infection or not? How do you tell an infection starting from tooth sensitivity? Someone on here said an infection would hurt all the time - is that right? Mine doesn't, just every now and then, and in between it feels fine, so is this more a symptom of sensitivity or the 'soft-part' of the tooth still healing? I've woke up 3 or 4 times with my tooth hurting and my husband says I was probably grinding my teeth in my sleep and got it irritated.
Anyway, does this sound like an infection to you, or just that it's still healing inside from all the work he did? My dentist took two x-rays when he was filling it to make sure all was well - one before he put the filling in to make sure all the decay was gone, and another after everything was done, and he said everything looked really good. Someone on here - was it Dan? - said pain could be caused if the filling hit the nerve, but wouldn't the x-ray have shown this if that was the case? I guess I'm getting a little paranoid now after reading some of the posts on here so really wanted to get your opinions. I remember having a crown put on an upper tooth a few years ago, and that hurt for a really long time afterwards, even when I chewed on it, in fact it hurt so long that I was really upset thinking it should have had a root canal and now it's always going to feel like this, but it did finally subside and has been fine ever since. My husband has reminded me of this when I've complained about this deep filling hurting, saying this one will probably take a long time too, but how do you know it's just healing and not something else? I'm driving my husband nuts asking what about this and what about that and what if???? So he suggested I ask on here as you guys seem to know more than anyone else, he calls it the 'been-there-done-that' group. Can you guys give me some suggestions or opinions? I did read that 'Dan' had this and suggested giving this kind of pain a few months to go away, is that what I should do, or is there something I should watch for that would signal a bigger problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

maree_uk 06-13-2006 08:30 AM

Re: deep filling still hurting, I have a question?

If you have an infection usually you get a funny taste coming from the tooth, you can get some swelling. Try putting some ice or anything cold on the tooth. if it reacts that means the nerve is still alive and you probably don't have an infection.

cb50 06-13-2006 09:01 AM

I just did as you asked and swished some cold water around it and yeah, it 'reacts' :) I didn't have the nerve to try ice. So this is a good thing, right? If it's just a filling, the nerve [I]should[/I] still be alive, right? So does that also mean eventually it will calm down? It was bothering me when I was writing my post earlier so I took a couple of Tylenol and it went away, hubby seems to think that's a good sign and shows it's just still sensitive and healing and just needs time. Does that make sense to you, or is he just trying to get me to stop worrying?

corricatt 06-17-2006 05:00 AM

What has your dentist said about it?

I'd be concerned about it waking you up at night. If you are grinding during sleep and that's what is causing the pain, then ask for a night guard.

Deep fillings can go either way in a 3 month period. You said 6 weeks right? 6 to go! If the tooth reacts badly to hot, the nerve is definately dying. It's a good sign that the pain is controlled by Tylenol. Good luck.

cb50 06-18-2006 05:42 PM

Thank-you for replying. Yeah, the Tylenol actually works pretty quick, probably in about 10 minutes and then it feels fine. I don't really notice it reacting to hot temps, but then I'm not deliberately biting down on something hot. Is that what you mean?
I haven't told my dentist because I know he would say to give it some time to settle down, which is what I thought best, too. He took two x-rays when he did the filling and said everything looked great and he fully expected to see that filling in there five years from now, so I don't think he would tell me to come back in unless he really thought there was a problem, and I know he would say it's too soon to tell and to give it some time. My tooth does feel like it's getting better so I'll let it go for awhile and hopefully there won't be any reason to go back :)

JenniferE 06-18-2006 10:45 PM

[color=indigo]If the tooth was beginning to abcess, you would know it. For many people, it's the worst toothache they have ever had. I've had women tell me they would rather give birth a few more times than feel the pain of an abcessed tooth.

If the nerve in the tooth was dying, you would most often feel pain in the tooth pretty much 24/7. Many people experience swelling or the tooth feels raised and squishy in the socket. You would have a bad taste and odor coming from the genral area of the tooth. The tooth would be sensitive to hot. Not eveyone experiences these symptoms, but they are very common.

Take an over the counter pain medicine as prescribed daily. Even when the tooth doesn't hurt, keep taking the medicine for a week or so. It's a lot easier to prevent the pain, then to treat it.

Deep fillings are placed in the soft part of the tooth. This layer of the tooth is very sensitive. It's going to take some time for the tooth to heal and adapt to the new filling. Just be careful what you eat and try not to stress the tooth too much while it's healing.

If you wake up in the morning and your jaws, teeth, ears, or cheeks are sore, you are most likely clenching or grinding your teeth in your sleep. If you are grinding your teeth at night, talk to your dentist about a nightguard. A temporary solution for this would be to go to the store and get the plastic mouthguards the kids use for sports. These temporary mouth guards will last a few weeks to few months depending on how hard your grind and/or clench. Regardless, if you try this temporary nightguard and aftera few weeks it seems to help, consult with your dentist and have a professional nightguard made. In the meantime, using the nightguard while you sleep or if you catch yourself clenching during waking hours, will help take some stress off of the already sore tooth, helping it to heal. [/color]

NeoOsiris 06-19-2006 08:20 AM

I recently had a root canal done last week, and had a similar operation. They put a big filling on. My dentist though said to come back later when my tooth isnt sore to put a crown on it. I don't think it is recommended to leave it just as a filling specifically for root canals from my knowledge. But as for the pain, it should have gone away. My tooth was in bad condition, inflamed nerve, abscess, dead tooth. But after the operation its so much better. Its still a bit sore if i put a lot of pressure on it, but no where near the pain it was before. So I dont see why it should be hurting so much. Was your tooth dead already? was the nerve damaged, if not then it may be dying now. check the colour of the tooth, is it darker than the others? if it is, the tooth is dying, after my operation the tooth is back to a healthy colour.

cb50 06-21-2006 10:00 AM

I have a question for Jennifer?

Thanks Jennifer, I find your posts very informative but also very calming. I wanted to tell you that I took your suggestion and bought a youth mouth guard yesterday and wore it last night....it was probably the first night in a few days that I didn't wake up with tooth pain, so I'm thinking I was grinding my teeth in my sleep and that may be what got it throbbing so badly. Sometimes I would wake up during the night with it, so I keep a couple of Tylenol next to the bed with some water especially for this, so when I would wake up I would take those and after a few minutes I could fall back to sleep. But yesterday morning I had it when I got up and thought, ok this is nuts, I'm probably really hurting my tooth, so I went to the store and bought the guard. I figure, even if my tooth hurts during the day, I know it's just a spontaneous pain from the sensitivity and healing and not because I'm smacking the hell out of it with my upper teeth. By the way, how long does this kind of pain last? Some on here say a couple months, someone else said 3 months, others say it can last several months....is this something that depends on the individual, or is several months not an unreasonable length of time for a tooth to heal from this?