It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
(female)

CynAnn HB User
Root Canal - when to and when not to?

I have a bottom side tooth that my partial clamps to. Things have been fine for the past several years until recently, that tooth started to ache a bit. Off and on, dull pain, not too bad and only a few times in the past 6 months.

This weekend, the tooth started to ache, worse - sharper pain .... I was told (by the dentist in Nov. during an appt) that if it continued to ache, he *may* need to do a root canal in the future.

So.....today, I went to see the dentist, thinking a root canal would be the answer since the tooth has bothered me off and on a few times since my last visit in Nov..... However, after he x-rayed the tooth, confirmed it was "fine" and the pain was "off and on - not too bad" that a root canal would not be needed.

My question...when is a root canal needed? I thought if a tooth ached and ya didnt want to have pulled, that ya would need a root canal (and later a crown)

also...to double check the tooth, he drilled a tiny hole in it, to detemined that the "nerve was not dead" OMG! trust me, it was not dead by no means and he said that was a good sign and for me to not worry about the tooth, it was fine, no decay, no cracks, no absese and the nerve was fine, so no need for a root canal..... so, now I just worry about when it will start hurting again.

anyone experience this or have further info?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by CynAnn; 06-13-2006 at 12:56 PM.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User
Re: Root Canal - when to and when not to?

The tooth could be sore for any number of reasons. These are a few...
  • Crack forming on the tooth that is not yet visible
    Stress from supporting the partial
    If you chew gum, ice, or certain foods you eat can stress the teeth
    Clenching

What you may be feeling is the ligaments that hold the tooth in the socket may be sore because of stress.

You will definitely know when it's time to need a root canal. Many people feel a severe toothache that doesn't seem to go away. The tooth may be extremely sensitive to hot or cold. The tooth may be sore to the touch. Some people get a 'pimple' that forms on the gum tissue. Some people exprience swelling. Some people will have a bad taste and/or smell in their mouth from the infection. People may experience one or all of these symptoms if an abcess occurs.

Last edited by JenniferE; 06-15-2006 at 10:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
(female)

CynAnn HB User

Thank you so much!!! That makes perfect sense. "Stress from supporting the partial If you chew gum, ice, or certain foods you eat can stress the teeth"
---ya know, just a few days prior to the tooth ache, I was eating some nuts which I dont eat too often and that may have aggravated the tooth. I'm glad to know that if it is in need of a root canal, then I will know it and not have just off and on mild pain. Thanks again for being so helpful!

Old 09-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
(female)

MomaDumplings HB User

I'd always try Sensodyne Toothpaste for a few weeks too.
Sometimes the pain is coming from the gum area too.

Closed Thread