It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 07:30 PM   #1
(female)

irishclover HB User
Options for bad gag reflex when it comes to teeth removal?

I'm finally cracking down to probably having my teeth all removed. The main concern is I have a very bad gag reflex on the roof of my mouth, top of my tongue, and around the gums where my wisdom teeth are. I was wanting to know what options I have as far as having some type of dentures would be or other options of something I can wear in my mouth to help chew? Since my gag reflex is so bad and I'm also very paranoid about choking so I chew my food more than it needs to I am worrying that if I have my teeth pulled that I might not be able to wear dentures and not be able to eat much. I'm already underweight.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:38 AM   #2
(female)

charly1 HB User
Re: Options for bad gag reflex when it comes to teeth removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishclover
I'm finally cracking down to probably having my teeth all removed. The main concern is I have a very bad gag reflex on the roof of my mouth, top of my tongue, and around the gums where my wisdom teeth are. I was wanting to know what options I have as far as having some type of dentures would be or other options of something I can wear in my mouth to help chew? Since my gag reflex is so bad and I'm also very paranoid about choking so I chew my food more than it needs to I am worrying that if I have my teeth pulled that I might not be able to wear dentures and not be able to eat much. I'm already underweight.
Hi there i am a dental nurse and believe me you are not alone many people suffer with bad gag reflex what i would suggest is go for a check up and arrange date for extractions then arrange with your doctor to give mild sedation , explain why, this will have you totally relaxed and will inhibit gag !The denture i suggest is a chrome cobalt that leaves your palate free , but you will have to have plastic one to start with, the tongue adapts very quickly and short periods of in and out at home to avoid embarassment until you are used to them. Hope this helps ,keep me posted!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User

There are different types of dentures that are available. Another option to look into would be to keep as many of your natural teeth as possible and get either a partial, bridge(s), or implants to replace the missing teeth.

Talk to your dentist. If you need to have dentures, the dentist and lab will work with you to get the best custom fit possible to reduce the chances of gagging.

Your mind has a lot to do with it too. If you think you will gag, you will. I don't mean to sound mean or anything like that. Gagging is very common and it can be a serious problem for many people. It's just that some people get themselves really worked up. When it comes time to try dentures, just take deep breaths, try to relax, and think of other things. Breathe through your nose. Don't focus on the gagging.

I know it's not easy. I had the same fear for a long time too. I didn't gag extremely easy, but it was always hard for me to relax in the dental chair with all the stuff in my mouth. I generally breathe through my mouth a lot more than my nose, so I feared not being able to breathe as well as the thought of gagging during the visit.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
(female)

charly1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferE
There are different types of dentures that are available. Another option to look into would be to keep as many of your natural teeth as possible and get either a partial, bridge(s), or implants to replace the missing teeth.

Talk to your dentist. If you need to have dentures, the dentist and lab will work with you to get the best custom fit possible to reduce the chances of gagging.

Your mind has a lot to do with it too. If you think you will gag, you will. I don't mean to sound mean or anything like that. Gagging is very common and it can be a serious problem for many people. It's just that some people get themselves really worked up. When it comes time to try dentures, just take deep breaths, try to relax, and think of other things. Breathe through your nose. Don't focus on the gagging.

I know it's not easy. I had the same fear for a long time too. I didn't gag extremely easy, but it was always hard for me to relax in the dental chair with all the stuff in my mouth. I generally breathe through my mouth a lot more than my nose, so I feared not being able to breathe as well as the thought of gagging during the visit.
good advise ....sorry i did not read about mentioning my profession until it was too late!!!!a big huge apology!!!implants are serious money so a healthy mouth is a huge factor!!!not being derogotary or anything but it is surgery so infection is always an issue

Last edited by charly1; 06-15-2006 at 11:51 AM.

Old 06-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
(female)

irishclover HB User

Thanks for the responses. The gag reflex I have is something I've had ever since being a baby. Since I was a baby the tip of my tongue is always touching the roof of my mouth just right after my front teeth so my tongue isn't touching the gag area of my mouth. If I don't have the tip of my tongue there to much of the back of my tongue touches the roof of my mouth so I start gagging. I also only swallow the food around the sides of my tongue and not over it. It's something I've always had a problem with since a baby is why I'm worrying about dentures bothering me. The money is a big issue with me since my bf will have to be paying for anything I have done so it has to be something cheap since he doesn't have much money and has 80 grand in loans to pay back.

Closed Thread