It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2006, 04:57 AM   #1
(female)

LINDA5ONE4 HB User
another question regarding crowns

Hello

If you had large fillings would you place a crown on them to save the teeth
I am 37 and have a few large fillings that I want to put crowns on to save my teeth .....before I have more problems ......Did anyone do this, I am so afraid of having no teeth as I get older and crowns seem to be the best solution one of the fillings is staring to break away...so I figured I would have the other done also.......
Thanks for the input ....I appreciate it....
I have one crown now for ten years ...

Old 06-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
(female)

LINDA5ONE4 HB User
Re: another question regarding crowns

Thanks for answering ...do you think that is a good thing to do for a tooth with 80% filling ....They just put it in but I feel there should be a crown to protect it .................any thoughts
Thanks Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User

Each tooth is evaluated on an individual basis. For some teeth, placing a crown on them might be a good option. Other teeth, it's not such a good choice. One thing to remember is, when you remove a large filling in a tooth, there may not be much left in order to support a crown. The tooth may break while the filling is being removed. There is always a risk in removing a large filling.

Sometimes it is best just to leave the tooth alone. In order to prep a tooth for crown placement, a large portion of the tooth is drilled away to form a cone shape. Sometimes a post needs to be added to the tooth for support. The dentist will also need to evaluate the roots as well to make sure they are healthy enough to be able to support a crown.

Crowns aren't always the best solution. There's a lot of factors to consider, so it's best to have a full set of x-rays taken and then consult with your dentist on the best treatment for you.

Last edited by JenniferE; 06-18-2006 at 09:31 AM.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I always follow what my dentist says. If he says I need a crown I do it, I didn't try to learn more about it. Do you trust your dentist? May be you need to change him.

Closed Thread