It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
(female)

cambria HB User
Do I have gingivitis?

After I had my son and had nursed him for about 4 months, the gums below one of my back molars started getting kind of red and sore. I could be wrong cuz I never really paid attention before, but it also seemed like the gum line receeded a little bit. The thing is, that's the ONLY place I have that happening - right under that one tooth. Nowhere else. And it's not constantly sore or red. It'll just kind of "flare up" once in a while. And I don't have bad breath problems, and my teeth don't really bleed when I floss. *But* if they do bleed, it's usually on my bottom teeth.

I have very good brushing and usually good flossing habits. I brush at least three times a day and floss at least once very other day. I also use mouthwash. From what I've read, it does sound likely that that's gingivitis, but I just don't understand how I could have gotten it? Unless it has to do with nursing my son and my own nutrition levels being depleted... I'm making an appt with the dentist but I'm a little nervous. Having bad teeth or having them fall out when I get older has always been a huge fear of mine, and if he tells me I have gingivitis, I'm probably gonna freak out!!

Anyone have any input or advice?

Last edited by cambria; 06-17-2006 at 08:35 AM.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
(male)

gabriel85 HB User
Re: Do I have gingivitis?

can't really say what you've got, but most likely it is gingivitis. No big deal though it could be a lot worse and gingivitis can be reversed; however, if the gum line has receded it won't grow back, the bleeding gums is a sign of a present infection and no matter how vigilant you are gingivitis will most likely appear a lot of the time for no real reason, even if you have good habits... it dosen't mean your teeth will fall out later, unless you leave it to get worse for years... like Shane Mcgowan

Last edited by gabriel85; 06-17-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User
Re: Do I have gingivitis?

It sounds like you have gingivitis forming around the one tooth. It's treatable and preventable. It's pretty common too. Once you go visit your dentist, the dentist will clean around the tooth and remove any plaque and tartar build-up from around the tooth and under the gum tissue.

Just keep maintaining a good oral hygiene routine and you will be ok.

Closed Thread