It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
(female)

The Inquirer HB User
Wisdom Teeth -- Any Advice Appreciated

Hi,

I am 37 years old and am going to have two wisdom teeth removed in about a week. I don't believe they are impacted, that is, you can see almost all the tooth. Anyway, I have a few questions, as I am quite nervous...

1- Has anyone had just their upper two out? (Though they want to take out my bottom two also, I am able to clean them out on my own, so I'm going to do just the top two and see how it goes.)

2- I think I am having IV Valium and Brevital. Anyone have comments on that?

3- I've been reading back through the posts. What the heck is dry socket? Lol....

Thanks for any advice....I have dental anxiety as it is, so this has me pretty much beside myself!

Be well,
Inq

Old 06-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
(female)

The Inquirer HB User
Re: Wisdom Teeth -- Any Advice Appreciated

Sorry -- one more question...Has anyone ever had their jaw lock up? My jaw clicks and pops all the time, so I'm scared this could happen, too....Aghhhhhh!

Thanks again,
Inq

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2006, 10:05 PM   #3
(female)

Eve_8 HB User

Hi Inq. I had my upper two wisdom teeth pulled out about a year and a half ago. They had broken through my gumline and my general dentist was able to pull them out in under three seconds, with no problems, with only novaicane. I still have one of my bottom wisdom teeth, but the other one was impacted and I had it extracted by an oral surgeon. The one that I still have is just fine, with no problems, (knock on wood).

As far as IV sedation, it is great. One minute your awake and the next you are out. The next thing you will remember is waking up when it is all over.

I am not to familiar about dry socket, but I do know that not everyone gets it. I am sure your oral surgeon will tell you all about it, before you go home.

As far as the jaw clicking, my sister has TMJ which causes her jaw to click and pop. She also had four wisdom teeth removed and the TMJ didn't complicate the extraction process.

Finally, as for the dental anxiety. If you are getting IV sedation, you will have no clue what is going on. I used to also be very anxious about the dentist. I didn't go for years. Then one day I had pain and had to go. Turns out I had a lot of problems so over the course of two years I had a root canal, a root canal retreatment, gum graphing surgery, crown lengthening, three extractions, oral surgery, post and crown work, and tons of cavities filled. And really none of it was that bad at all. I think the worst part was just sitting in the chair for so long, with nothing to do. Good luck and I am sure that you will be just fine

Old 06-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User

After the tooth is extracted, a blood clot will form over the hole protecting the bone underneath and will allow for proper healing of the gum tissue and bone. The blood clot is vital to proper healing.

A dry socket is when the blood clot fails to form and/or dislodges causing the bone tissue underneath to become exposed to air and debris. Your dentist or surgeon will tell you things to not do in order to prevent this from happening.

Whenever you have wisdom teeth extracted, your jaw is stretched pretty far open in order to gain access to the teeth. Your jaw will definitely feel sore after the procedure from the surgery and the stretching of the jaw and facial muscles. Just make sure to tell your dentist/surgeon about your problems with TMJ and they will recommend things that you can do to relieve the soreness.

IV sedation is awesome! You won't feel a thing and they will most often add a bit of an anxiety medicine into your IV. You have to remember, your surgeon is a pro. This what the surgeon does for a living. They will ensure that you will be as sedated as possible and the most comfortable you can possibly be during the surgery.

The dentists and surgeons will most often recommend getting all 4 wisdom teeth removed even though you may not be having problems. This is because once you are under sedation, you would only need to go through the procedure once and that's it. Wisdom teeth also can cause a lot of problems for some people and they really are just extra teeth, providing you have your other molars and aren't depending on the wisdom teeth for chewing. However, you may go the rest of your lifetime and not have a single problem or non serious problem with the remaining two wisdom teeth. It's a judgment call really. If the teeth are not decayed and no problems have shown on x-rays, you can opt to leave the teeth be.

Old 06-18-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

Thanks so much, ladies -- I really appreciate your info and kind words!

Inq

Old 06-19-2006, 06:02 AM   #6
(female)

jtstealth HB User

Hi, I had the two uppers removed back in October. I am older than 37 too! I had this done under IV sedation, what a wonderful thing!!! Also during the same procedure I had a dental implant placed where another tooth was missing.

To aviod dry sockets follow all advice given from dentist/surgeon. No sucking, spitting, rinsing for at least 24 hours. Just sit there and relax.

You should eat soft foods right away to keep up nutrition, they will tell u this anyway.

They also told me that upper sockets are less prone to dry socket than lower ones.

My jaw also clicked and popped all the time. This stopped when my wisdom teeth were removed. I have not had any popping or clicking when I chew since these teeth were removed.

Hope this helps!

Closed Thread