It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
(male)

boricuaitaliano HB User
Just Got Braces - Need Help

I just got braces less then a week ago and my teeth are hurting to the point where I can't eat. The orthodontist gave me something called Colgate Phos-Flur.Gel, is this for the sensativity and how many times should I use this?
When does the pressure pain go away, my right side of my mouth is killing me.
Thanks

Old 06-18-2006, 05:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ashlee HB User
Re: Just Got Braces - Need Help

Hi there,

The pressure pain should go away within another week or so. From now on, every time you go to the orthodontist you can expect to have sore teeth for about four or five days afterwards. For the first one or two days you will probably only be able to eat things like soup. As you are not used to it yet, it may well take a little longer this time aroung. After a few days after getting them tightened I found I was able to eat soft foods again and use my back teeth to chew, but using my front teeth to bite was always a bit harder for a while.

The pain can be annoying but in the end it's worth it! I'm getting my braces off first thing tomorrow morning and I'm soooo excited! Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2006, 10:04 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User

The gel is to help with oral hygiene. It's an anti-cavity fluoride rinse. Try a regular routine of over the counter pain medicines like Advil, Aleve, Excedrin, Tylenol, or Aspirin. Whichever one you choose, take the recommended dosage throughout the day, even when your teeth do not hurt. This will help to prevent and/or reduce the pain. Do not wait for your teeth to begin hurting again before taking more medicine. It's much easier to prevent the pain than to treat it.

The sorenes will begin to subside over the next few days. Just stick to a soft diet where you do not have to make the teeth and jaw muscles work too hard. The next time you go in for adjustments, take the over the counter pain medicine before your appointment and then throughout the day at the recommended dosage.

Old 06-18-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Take ibuprofen before you go to ortho...that helps.....and take it every 4 hours afterward........

Old 06-21-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
(male)

boricuaitaliano HB User

I aprreciate everyones feedback, thanks.
I am starting to notice the pain is becoming less but yet it still hurts even after taking over the counter pain relivers. I still eat hard food I just chew slow with my back teeth but I think most of my pain is coming from my upper and lower front teeth the braces are touching when I bite so I have to be carefull.
Having dry mouth is this normal or should I change my toothpaste or mouth wash?
I guess for me I have more pain to come because within a year I will have jaw surgey and I am hoping this will help with opening my mouth wider. It's so hard for me to eat a burger because my mouth can only open to a certain point then after is all pain. The oral surgen was talking about Botox to see if this will help open my mouth wider because this is needed for surgery.
Any feedback on types of tooth paste, mouth wash or anything else that helped you during this process.
Thanks in advance..
Ciao

Closed Thread