It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
(female)

Eve_8 HB User
Question jagged bone near extraction site

I have had a sharp fragmant of either a bone or residual tooth on the lower right side of my mouth between my gums and the inside of my cheek. It is in the location of where I had a wisdom tooth extracted about a year and a half ago (but it is not on the gumline, it is on the floor of my mouth between my gums and my cheek). I had a full set of dental xrays done the other day and my dentist didn't mention it, but I don't know if this area is displayed on the xrays. I am wondering if my oral surgeon left a piece of tooth or if it is just bone that has not fully healed from the extraction. Has anyone had this or do they know anything about it? Thanks.

Old 06-18-2006, 09:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User
Re: jagged bone near extraction site

This is pretty common with tooth extractions, especially wisdom teeth extractions. It is really nothing to worry or be concerned about. What is happening, is that the bone is healing. As it does, it is not uncommon for tiny bone fragments that have not fused back into the bone to rise to the surface as the bone heals. These fragments can include pieces of the tooth that was extracted, tiny root fragments left in the bone, and/or bone fragments from the jawbone.

Many times, these fragments will fuse into the jawbone and or they will rise to the surface and push their way out through the gum tissue. If the piece becomes stuck or sore and infected, have your dentist remove the piece. Most often, the piece will come out on it's own. Your gum tissue might be tender and a little sore, but it will subside once the fragment dislodges. Sometimes, you can push the piece out yourself using a Q-tip.

Bone tissue takes a good 6 months to a year to begin to fill back in after surgery. What you are experiencing is completely normal and a good sign that the bone is healing as it should.

Last edited by JenniferE; 06-18-2006 at 09:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
(female)

Eve_8 HB User
Re: jagged bone near extraction site

Hi JenniferE, Thanks for your reply. One quick question, what do you mean by the tooth or bone getting stuck? I only ask because it has been in the same place for three months and really feels attached to the bone. I started worrying about it because I have gotten a lot of work done on the root canaled tooth in front of where the sharp piece is and I wonder if it is actually the sharp bone that hurts and not the other tooth. Thanks for you input

Closed Thread