HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Dental Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/)
-   -   Vertical crack in tooth, anyone? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/402389-vertical-crack-tooth-anyone.html)

Moonmad 06-19-2006 06:44 AM

Vertical crack in tooth, anyone?

My Dentist tells me that one of my top back teeth is cracked vertically from crown to root. He tried a new filling to bond it, but the filling came loose again and now he says I need to have the tooth extracted. I haven't had a tooth out since I was a child and I'm SCARED! :eek: Well, I'm almost resigned to it - but before I make the appointment I wondered if anyone knows if such a crack CAN be repaired and the tooth saved?

I trust my dentist - I'm sure he's recommending the right treatment - but out of consideration for my cowardice :rolleyes: I just need to know if there might be any way to save it - anyone?

Thanks! :D

Thelma-Louise 06-20-2006 11:02 AM

Re: Vertical crack in tooth, anyone?

A fractured tooth generally can be repaired (and saved) by having a root canal and then a crown made. What is his reason for saying it needs to be removed? What is he suggesting to replace it with?

corricatt 06-20-2006 05:29 PM

Yep, I'm with the Dr on this one

Furthermore, don't wait too long to get it out because with the tooth having a fracture to this extent every time you bite you are spreading the tooth which could be allowing bacteria to enter the tooth.

catsblueeyes1 06-21-2006 06:09 PM

Hi,
I just had the very same thing happen to me with the exception that I did not have to have the tooth extracted. I had a root canal and then they crowned the 2 teeth. You may want to have some x-rays done also because I apparently am a grinder with my teeth at night and until I went to this new dentist I was never told about the problem which can cause cracks in your teeth. I would have another opinion done before I had my tooth pulled. I hope this helps
Debbie

Moonmad 06-22-2006 09:59 AM

Thank you so much for your replies. I did some research on the net after I posted my question and it seems that it is v. hard/impossible to repair a vertical crack that's gone below the gum line. A horizontal one can be done with root canal and crown (as I know!!!) but not vertical. If vertical can be done at all, it has to be within 2 days of the crack occurring, and it sounds quite a tricky procedure which may not work anyway. I guess that if the crack's gone down the root, it's not stable enough for a crown or may still get infected.

The tooth is definitely spreading - I can feel it - and slightly loose. It doesn't actually hurt, but I can understand that it could easily get horribly infected. I've made my appointment, anyway. I will ask again to make sure it really can't be repaired. Either way, he assures me 'it's a simple procedure and nothing to worry about'. I feel calmer about it anyway. Wish me luck!

Thanks! :-) M
It won't let me insert a smilie!