It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 07:23 AM   #1
(female)

Eve_8 HB User
Apicoectomy and Crowns

Does anyone know if an apicoectomy can disturb the crown on the tooth that the procedure is done on? I know that they go in through the gum and nowhere near the crown, but my crown feels odd when I bite down on it. I don't know if it's loose or if it is just my tooth. Has anyone had an apicoectomy that loosened their crown? Or does anyone know the feeling that I am talking about? Thanks.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
(female)

Border3899 HB User
Re: Apicoectomy and Crowns

Hi Eve, how did it go yesterday? I can tell you that i held off on getting my crown because i was still having problems with the tooth, but i would guess your crown woudl feel a little funny when you bite because I was told on Tuesday that my tooth would feel loose for awhile after the procedure. Just a guess but i think that could make the crown feel funny. I could be wrong though!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
(female)

Eve_8 HB User

Border3899, Thanks for asking, it went very well . It was the quickest dental procedure (other than fillings) that I ever had and it was not bad at all. It does hurt a lot now and I am very swollen (I look like someone punched me, lol). But the dentist gave me vicadin which helps a lot. Did you have your apico yet? How did it go?

I think you are right about it just feeling loose. My endo called to see how I was doing and I asked about it and he said that it probably just feels that way because of all the swelling.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
(female)

Border3899 HB User

I'm glad to hear yours went well. I had mine Tuesday and they ended up going into my sinus cavity because one of the roots they needed to cut was up there, so I have to be careful not to blow my nose or hold in a sneeze for a week. I was doing very well yesterday but then woke up this morning with a golfball in my cheek (i hadnt had any swelling) and a very high fever and extreme pain, so i called them and i developed an infection which is rare. But i should be better tomorrow after the antibiotics kick in. Also gave me a script for vicodin which I am very thankful for because I have a 6 month old baby that for some reason since the surgery has been very demanding and into everything.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:47 AM   #5
(female)

Eve_8 HB User

Border3899,
I'm sorry to hear that you are having all of those complications. But I am glad to hear that you are getting better. It must be hard to be going through all of that with a baby to take care of. Luckily my son is 5. I am hoping to have another child soon. That is why I am trying to get all of my dental stuff taken care of now.

My face also looks like a golf ball for the second day in a row. I was supposed to go food shopping today but don't know if I would feel comfortable. I keep applying ice but it doesn't seem to be having too much of an affect on the swelling. I suppose it could be worse.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:42 AM   #6
(female)

legirl HB User

I need to have an apico done but have been putting it off for over a year now. I'm so afraid that it is going to be extremely painful. Can you tell me about your procedures? Did it hurt? Were you awake? When did it start hurting? etc

Old 06-27-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
(female)

Border3899 HB User

I was fully awake for mine just used a lot more novicaine than they do for most other procedures. The procedure itself isnt really bad at all. After the novicaine wears off you'll have some pain but they should give you pain medication for that which helps tremendously. You will probably have swelling and maybe bruising but Ice helps tame that down. I was fine the day after my procedure but then that night developed an infection and the pain was extremely bad and swelling, once the anitibiotics kicked in i was home free with no pain just a lot of irritation from the stitches, i was so glad to get them out yesterday.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:58 PM   #8
(female)

Eve_8 HB User

Hi Lawyergirl,
I was awake for the procedure and it did not hurt at all. The only thing that slightly hurts is the pinch of the first novacaine needle, after that you are pretty numb. My procedure went very fast. I was in and out of the office in about an hour and that included the time it took to get numb, get xrays, and pay the bill (which I thought was the most painful part of the procedure, lol).

If you make sure to take the pain medication that the doctor prescribes you before the novacaine wears off, you should be fine. I am not going to lie, it does hurt after, but it wasn't anything that I couldn't handle. Also, my face swelled, they told me to put ice on and off the area that swelled in 15 minute increments. The swelling lasted for about two days. Today they removed my stitches, which they do one week after the procedure and they told me that I am healing nicely.

My only advice is to take the day of the procedure off from work and possibly the day after (due to the swelling). I definitely did not feel like doing much of anything those two days. But other than that, you will be fine. It was no worse than having your wisdom teeth pulled. Try not to worry, you'll feel better once you get it over with. Good luck

Closed Thread