It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
(female)

LINDA5ONE4 HB User
Do you think silver filling last longer than white

I was told that silver fillings last longer in larger restorations ...does anyone find this to be true?
Thanks again

Old 06-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #2
(female)

katzfriend HB User
Re: Do you think silver filling last longer than white

Hi Linda,
I think that depends who you talk to. My dentist said that if done well, the new type of tooth colored fillings last just as long as the old amalgam type. I had my old silver ones removed, they were over 20 years old and now have all white fillings. Time will tell - I guess . But I trust my dentist!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

White fillings can last a long time, and porcelain fillings are the best of the white kind...unless someone knows of more durable materials. Since a lot of these new white fillings haven't been tested over time, they are still evaluating this. But my own personal experience has been very positive...well over 10 years with no problems with my white porcelain fillings.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I've been told by two separate dentists that the amalgams last longer. And they're cheaper, so I'm not sure what motivation they would have for twisting the facts. I'm fairly young, so I'm sticking with amalgams, hoping they last a long time!

Old 06-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
(female)

Minx5 HB User

Hiya, from what I have heard and read I believe that amalgam fillings are long lasting and durable for large posterior (back) teeth. They have been around for many years and do have advantages, however there main disadvantage is aesthetics.
I personally would prefer white fillings, normally used is a composite material, the reason they do not last as long for posterior teeth is they do not have very good shear strength and are technique sensitive. However with modern dentistry rapidly evolving new composite materials are being formed so maybe one day they will be more widespread, my dentist still prefers using amalgam for posterior filings.

Hope the info helps

Old 06-29-2006, 06:20 PM   #6
(female)

rainbow_mandi HB User

I remember my dentist saying he lined the prepared cavities with amalgam but then used white composite for the filling as the amalgam lining helped the composite bind, maybe this is a good long-lasting (7 years so far) and cosmestic option?

Old 12-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #7
(female)

jill*# HB User

Indiect composites (ones made in a lab and then attached) last longer than direct composites and amalgam.Also, indirect composites are very unlikely to fracture your teeth ,unlike amalgam.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

In spite of the dental propoganda my experience is a loud "NO, amalgams DO NOT outlast white fillings."

I read on a dental booster dite that "a properly installed and polished amalgam could easily last a lifetime." That was indeed among the STUPIDEST thing I have ever read on my computer screen.

It COULD be true but only if you were run over by a bus on the way home from the dentist.

Amalgams are EASY for the dentist to do...THAT'S why the almost 2 century old idea of sticking a 50-50 mix of MERCURY and silver in the mouth survives today. Poisonous and Brittle hangovers from the days long gone.
Amalgams are a good way for dentists to get repeat business.

The HATEFUL aspect of putting in a amalgam (other than the poison) is that it is not cemented in and thus the tooth must be undercut, the hole made larger on the bottom than the top...think an upside down keystone.
This removes FAR too much healthy tooth and after the third replacement the tooth is GONE!

Last edited by Lenin; 12-08-2006 at 04:55 AM.

Closed Thread