It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

maysamo HB User
Unhappy Severe pain after crown and filling

Hello,

I had a crown (gold) put on and a filling done today. The crown is the top left very back one and the filling is the top one right in front of that. It has been very painful and achy even before the numbing wore off. About an hour and a half after I left my dentist office Istarted feeling shooting electrical pains through that whole side of my mouth...top and bottom. It kinda reminds me of touching a battery to my tongue, but it is very painful. At first it wasn't too bad and I took some IB profin. About three minutes after I took those I was puting something away in my cupboard and all the sudden it felt like I had an explosion go off in my mouth. It is now doing it about every 10-30 mins and is unbearable. The ones I am having now don't seem to be as bad or as intense as the first one but they are still unbearable. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with bending down (blood rushing to it) or touching my teeth together or my tongue on it. The electrical aching seems to be ten times as worse also. The numbing has worn off and I am in a lot of pain. I have had cavities filled before and never been in so much pain....in fact I can't remember ever being in worse pain for anything ever before. I tried putting ice on it (on the outside, my face) and it seemed to make it hurt a little worse... if that is possible. It also seems to hurt more if I breathe in through my mouth....i guess the air on it. I haven't ate anything so I don't think I could have cracked my filling.
If anyone could help me I would be very grateful. I am in a lot of pain and I am not sure if this is normal (never had a crown before) or if I should go to an emergency dental place as my dentist already went home for the day.
Thank you in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Re: Severe pain after crown and filling

may be you have root cannal. I had problem for 6 m and doctor thinks that he didn't put crown correct

Old 06-27-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

maysamo, are you doing better? Did you find out what was wrong? When reading your post, I thought maybe the filling was touching the nerve and that was causing your pain. But honestly, I can't imagine what would cause you pain like that, especially so soon after having the work done. I'm going to guess though that it's the tooth that's filled, not the crown as the crowned tooth didn't cause you pain before now. Can you let us know how you are?

Old 06-27-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
(female)

maysamo HB User

Thank you both for your concern

I have already been checked to see if I needed a root canal and was told I did not.

After I posted I took a long nap. When I woke up I felt 10 times better. While I was asleep my husband was doing some looking around and we think it might have been galvinization? (not sure if that is exact word or correct spelling). Anyways he said that it happens alot when ppl get new fillings and even when they get crowns. It is where the saliva in your mouth has a reaction with the metals of your fillings and crowns and it normally goes away very quickly. Which mine did....thank goodness

Thank you both for your post

Old 06-28-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User

It's not uncommon to feel pain like that after you first get a crown placed. There's a lot of work that goes into prepping a tooth for a crown. It is possible the galvinization has occured. If you had a metal type taste in your mouth, that is a definite sign that galvinization occured. It seems more like it was just a reaction to having the crown work done and the tooth was just reacting to the dental procedure.

Last edited by JenniferE; 06-28-2006 at 09:44 AM.

Closed Thread