It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
question for Jennifer

Jennifer, you've been a big help to me and others on here as you seem to know what you are talking about when it comes to dental problems. I have a question that I think needs clarification on:
I had a deep filling about 2 months ago that I'm still experiencing pain and sensitivity with off and on. While reading through some of the posts and also online, it says if sensitivity to hot or cold is experienced, it should go away when the hot or cold is removed. I don't know what that means. When I check my tooth with very hot or very cold water, yeah I get that initial *ouch!* as soon as it touches my tooth, and when I swallow the water to get if off the tooth, that ouch feeling stops but there is a slight achy feeling for a little bit afterwards. Is this normal? I guess I expect it to immediately feel just perfectly fine, and it doesn't, at least not right away, but it's not that throbbing ohmyGod jolt you get when it first touches the tooth, it's more a somewhat achy feeling that just goes away. Is this a normal feeling? Is this a silly question? Everything I read it says 'normal for tooth to be sensitive when exposed to very hot or very cold but sensitivity should stop when stimulus is removed', which I guess it does, but it's like when someone pinches you and then stops, the pinch itself hurts while they're doing it, and as soon as they let go the pinching pain stops but you still feel the aftereffects for a bit.
Sometimes just asking someone on here is a whole lot more comforting and clear than reading it online somewhere. Thanks so much.

Last edited by kellie2; 06-27-2006 at 10:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User
Re: question for Jennifer

It's normal to feel a residual effect after the stimuli is removed. You basically just want to let the tooth alone and allow it to heal. You'll definitely know when something is not quite right with the tooth. If the nerve is beginning to die, the toothache will not go away and will occur more frequently. The fact that the sensitivity you feel is only off and on and goes away on it's own, is a good sign.

Closed Thread