It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
(male)

tommy45 HB User
how long implant or implant supported denture will last

i read that several people complain their implant is getting lose due to bone lost after 8-9 years, it has to be take out and replace it.i just wonder all dentist say implant will last 20-30 years and implant suppose to stop bone lose.is that true? or they may just want to make money.people have implant are big investment.i don"t want to spend 40k every 10 years.so anyone who has implant or implant supported denture more than 10 years please let me know if implant works good.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-29-2006 at 07:42 PM.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User
Re: how long implant or implant supported denture will last

[ REMOVED ]

I have personally met people whose implants are over 30 years old and still strong. My daughter recently had jaw surgery and the Doctor used titanium pins. The surgeon told me that eventually bone will completely surround the pins making them part of the bone permanently.

Autopies have been performed on people who have had implants and the implants are nearly impossible to remove without great damage to the surrounding bone.

I think you have nothing to fear.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-29-2006 at 07:42 PM. Reason: members may not post anything about other message boards/forums/chats

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I had 3 anterior upper and 3 anterior lower implants done in 1992 and they were fine for almost 7 years until I had to replace the bridges they supported. Unfortunately another dentist made the new bridges and they did not fit correctly and caused bone erosion and infection around the implants. I had 1 lower implant removed last year & then the remaining 5 a few months ago and it was almost as costly as having them put in. Only 2 of the upper ones were solid in the bone but I had them removed as well because I felt down the road I would probably have to have them removed anyway given what happened to the others and I just did not want anymore surgery and pain.

Implants are great - especially the newer technology ( they don't even make the ones I had put in anymore) - but the prosthetics - bridge, crown, denture - they support must be fitted properly (allow for cleaning around the implant, do not create pressure on the bone or surrounding natural teeth, etc) and your hygiene must be impecable. I was also told bone loss would stop by having my front teeth replaced with implants. But you have to also consider you lifestyle and family genes (both my paernts lost their teeth in their 40's). Maybe they would have lasted had I not had to replace the bridges - I don't know. The bridges began to chip around the implants from vigorous cleanings and the bonding to repair them kept falling off. I have spent more money on my teeth than one should have to - and now have really bad tmj as well.

I do know a few people who have implant supported dentures and for them it has been a rough road as well. But it does help will holding the dentures in place while eating - but many denture wearers will aslo tell you that a good fitting dentures will work just as well - its all in the fit.

Just one person's experience - the decision for implants has a lot has to do with where you are in your lifetime (feel too young for dentures or partials), how many teeth you are losing, if you can afford it and the health of your gums and or other teeth. I was 32 when I had my implants done and am almost 48 now - my perspective is quite a bit different now than 16 yrs ago.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:18 AM   #4
(female)

arkysteelerfan HB User

Thelma-Louise,
What have you replaced the implants with? A partial? A denture? I am getting 4 implants placed in August for teeth I am missing from peridontal disease. I am worried that I will have problems with the implants. I have had 2 bone grafts and I guess they have healed. I hate the dentist and I am am tired of messing with my teeth, but one of my missing teeth shows so I have a partial to cover this up. I hate this partial.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
(female)

Akie HB User

Why do you hate your partial? Doesn't look good? Too bulky to be comfortable? I wear an upper partial and I know how important the skill of the dental lab technician is. He/she can basically make or break your life depending on how good or poor the outcome of the partial or denture. I can relate to that and it certainly is very frustrating experience. Have you ever heard about the Valplast partial? It's much thinner and can be much more esthetic if it is made right.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Because I still have back teeth - although they are filed down from being crowned - I now wear a snap on denture on the top and bottom. Its like a horseshoe but its uncomfortable and restricts my jaw - but I have really bad tmj as well so right now this is the best option for me. You don't mention which teeth you are missing - if they are next to each other or not, for me I lost my 4 upper front teeth and 6 lower front teeth to perio so doing implants and permanent bridges seemed the best way to still look and feel natural. But maybe that is why I had trouble with them after several yrs - too many in the same area? Not sure. For a missing tooth here and one way over there, I probably would have just crowned the natural teeth on either side of the missing one and had a dummy tooth inserted in between them and be done with it.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
(female)

Akie HB User

Since you only are missing the front teeth and still have a lot of posterior teeth, you can look into the option of the Valplast partial. An upper partial made like a horseshoe is not good and that was what I feared most when I went looking for a dentist to do the restoration. I found one and explained to her my apprehensions and expectation. The lab she used was willing to give a lot of personal attention for my case; I went back and forth many times to the dental lab to make the appropriate adjustments for my Valplast partial. Although the final outcome was not ideal, and the numerous adjustments were highly stressful to me, at least it's acceptable to me now.
I have four upper front teeth missing ---2 were due to incompetent dental work, 2 were badly injured and lost because of bolted job by another dentist---just have not had good luck with dental treatments. My story is long and still too painful to tell, so I'd rather not to go further. I also had decided on implants at one point and actually have already finished bone grafting but stopped short before implants because I still have residual pain at the extraction sites after the bolted bridge work. Also, very apprehensive about any invasive dental treatments as I've learnt that if your mouth is unfortunately screwed up by a dentist, it's very difficult to seek restitution and help to rectify the problem because other dentists you try to seek help from are not about to be willing to get involved much less pointing fingers to one of their own. I've learnt that the hard way.

Closed Thread