It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
(female)

Louweazle HB User
Bridge problem

After many years of having both front teeth crowned - one with a gold post, I had some pressure sensitivity in the non gold post tooth. The dentist said I needed to have the tooth with the post extracted because the post had gone through the root into the jaw and set up an infection - this they said was now affecting the other tooth and causing the pain.

Since then I have had the post supported crown removed, the root extracted, a spoon denture, the healthy tooth on the other side of the gap ground down, a temporary bridge and a permenent bridge. Total cost.....I can't bring myself to add it up.

Result? Since the permanent bridge was fitted on 13th March, I have been in constant pain - in the tooth that was originally hurting. Strangly it gave no pain at all while I had the denture or the temp bridge. I have been back to the dentist three times at more cost for x-rays and for him to grind a bit off a healthy tooth in my bottom jaw as he thought it was catching on the bridge. He now tells me I have resorbtion of the root of the tooth, that I will lose it at some point and that I just have to put up with the pain as there is nothing he can do. I can't believe that they have let me pay out so much money when I am going to lose the tooth anyway.

Surely this can't be right? I have read that resorbtion can be caused by trauma - could an ill fitting bridge/wrong bite be enough to do it??

Please help - I am writing this at 5:30 BST because I have been awake all night in pain. Paracetamol or Ibuprofen dont touch it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
(female)

Akie HB User
Re: Bridge problem

of the tooth to see there's still infection. Sometimes, however, x-ray doNo way that you have to put up with the pain and his professional demeanor( or the lack of it). It most likely there still some residual infection or at least inflammation on the tooth that is bothering and the bridge may also not made right which is irritating your nerve. Didn't sound right for him to grind down your bottom healthy teeth to accomodate your bridge; it should be the other way around. You've paid him so much, as I can imagine, for services to get better and not for worse. Now you are having this problem and he just folded his arms and said you have to bear with it. I had similar problem like yours and very bad experiences with dentists as a result of that, so I feel your pain and frustration. I suggest you go see someone else to remove the bridge and get 2nd opinion. If after the removal, you get better, then check on the site es not show infection or inflammation and that does not mean there is none. That was my case also. You should talk to that dentist to negotiate some refund, if he's not responsive and responsible, complain it to the dental society or board of dentistry in your area for resolution. Wish you the best of luck in finding help for your problem. Please post your progress.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
(female)

Louweazle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akie
of the tooth to see there's still infection. Sometimes, however, x-ray doNo way that you have to put up with the pain and his professional demeanor( or the lack of it). It most likely there still some residual infection or at least inflammation on the tooth that is bothering and the bridge may also not made right which is irritating your nerve. Didn't sound right for him to grind down your bottom healthy teeth to accomodate your bridge; it should be the other way around. You've paid him so much, as I can imagine, for services to get better and not for worse. Now you are having this problem and he just folded his arms and said you have to bear with it. I had similar problem like yours and very bad experiences with dentists as a result of that, so I feel your pain and frustration. I suggest you go see someone else to remove the bridge and get 2nd opinion. If after the removal, you get better, then check on the site es not show infection or inflammation and that does not mean there is none. That was my case also. You should talk to that dentist to negotiate some refund, if he's not responsive and responsible, complain it to the dental society or board of dentistry in your area for resolution. Wish you the best of luck in finding help for your problem. Please post your progress.
Thanks for your support I am going to see if I can get a second opinon.

Old 07-04-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
(female)

corricatt HB User

Since it has only been a few months since your dentist DIAGNOSED AND TREATED you, he should credit you for everything he's done so far towards the treatment that fixes the problem you went to him for. He shouldn't have charged you for more x-rays for the tooth that hurt in the first place and still hurts after he worked on you. Be strong, stand your ground. And tell him you need the last x-ray because you are going for a 2nd opinion.

Then, get a second opinion. Best if you try to see a dentist that doesn't know who did the work. They like to stick together, by this I mean they don't like to rat each other out.

I think you should see an endodontist to truly determine if the root is resorbing, and he should give you an idea as to about how long you might be able to hang onto that tooth. He'll need an x-ray, so get one from the general dentist so you don't have to pay for yet another one.

I wonder if you could get old x-rays of this area to compare to recent ones. That would definately show if you do have root resorption happening.

What happened to the teeth in the first place that caused you needing to have them crowned? Was it trauma?

Old 07-05-2006, 06:20 AM   #5
(female)

Louweazle HB User

Thanks for the advice Corricatt

The tooth that is hurting was chipped over 12 years ago and I had both front teeth crowned as the other one was crooked (which is why it had a post rather than a normal crown) and it seemed a good idea at the time. I had no trouble with the one that hurts now until last year when it seemed to have become sensitive to pressure. Suddenly, I had to have the other one extracted because they said that was what was causing the problem?????

The trouble with Britain is that there is a two tier dental service. The dentist that did the prep and put the bridge in was a national health service dentist(NHS). On her advice I paid extra for a private lab to make the bridge, because she said I would not be happy with the aesthetics of an NHS one. So the bridge is not covered by the NHS - clear as mud I know
The dentist who was treating me has left the practice because her contract was up, and because they haven't replaced her yet, I am having to see one of the senior partners who normally only sees his own private, ie paying in full for everything, patients. Since I am an NHS patient - still have to pay, just part subsidised by the govt', I don't think he is that bothered. Also because I'm NHS I can't get automatic access to my records, and if the dentist wants to he can just chuck me off his register of NHS patients. I don't want that to happen because there are only a handful of dentists willing to see NHS patients in the whole country - its a political thing. We don't seem to have endodontist that you can just go and see, we have to be refferred by our own dentist - catch 22

Closed Thread