It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
(male)

Skateboard HB User
Why does it hurt so much?

This is a pretty stupid question, but I keep asking myself why it has to hurt all the time. When I go to the dentist tomarrow for a cleaning and some flouride, its going to hurt like hell.

It hurts when they scrape, and it especially hurts when they start poking at my gums. Right when that happens, I start to bleed a bit. The bleeding actually embarisses me a little bit because I feel as though I'm not taking care of my gums enough.

I've had a history of dental care. I had braces and retainers for 5 years, and I'm still going! I had to get a tooth surgically removed from the roof of my mouth. From what I heard, I might actually have to get my wisdom teeth pulled out soon also.

Questions:

When I was around 6 or 7, the pain wasn't that bad. I'm brushing the same way I've been since I was taught, and I only have 1 cavity. Even though I've veen doing the same routine and checkups for the past 10 years of my life, why does the pain get worse and worse for each visit?

Why do my gums bleed during the cleaning, but not when I brush my teeth?

Is there any way at all for me to feel almost no pain when going to the dentist?

Old 07-05-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
(female)

corricatt HB User
Re: Why does it hurt so much?

Do you brush your gums and floss? If you aren't brushing properly (teeth AND gums) then you might be leaving alot of plaque on your teeth at the gumline causing the bleeding when the gums are touched. Alot of people think they are doing a great job brushing, but they don't realize that they need to really brush the gumline too.

You could ask if the dentist will numb you before your cleaning if the pain is too much for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
(female)

Dee030 HB User

I'm not sure but mine always hurt during and after cleanings too. I would rather get a filling than deal with the cleaning.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
Inactive

Honeypots HB User

Hey everyone,

I am new to the boards !

I am having a tooth removed next thursday, I need 2 fillings and I will have a cleaning as well, I am so afraid after reading this !

How long does a cleaning last ?

Thanks,

Honeypots

Old 07-07-2006, 01:10 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

Hi....I just happened to look at this dental site and i am blown away by the pain you guys are surffering when having your teeth cleaned. Here are two choices that can eliminate this uneccesary problem in the modern age of dentistry. the first is sedation dentistry where you wake up and the entire procedure is done or you can elect to tell dentist that first you need to have a topical anesthetic applied to your gums and than after this has take effect, have 4 tiny shots of novacaine placed both upper and lower teeth. You will not feel a thing.
Hope this helps.....dentist's should be pain free. Karen

Old 07-08-2006, 09:11 PM   #6
(female)

Clem52 HB User

"or you can elect to tell dentist that first you need to have a topical anesthetic applied to your gums and than after this has take effect, have 4 tiny shots of novacaine placed both upper and lower teeth. You will not feel a thing."

Pain free except for the shots, you mean. Besides, in the upper jaw you would have to place an injection in/near almost every tooth to get the anesthesia needed for cleaning. The day I ask the dentist for that many shots is the day hell freezes over. There is no such thing, for people like me, as a tiny shot.

There is a gel that can be used (Origel, maybe?) that can be applied to the gums that should be helpful. Topical, no shots, designed to be used for this kind of anesthesia. Or nitrous oxide, an inhalation agent, might be a useful drug since you "recover" in the chair and don't need a driver. IV sedation should be the last choice because of risks, small that they are, the need for a driver, the cost, etc.

Good luck.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:29 AM   #7
Inactive

Honeypots HB User

Hey guys,

I have just come back home from the dentist. I have my tooth out now and I didn't feel a thing ! He was very nice to me and treated me really well, I am so glad. Now I will have to go the next time for a filling. Can anyone explain me what is this about ?

Thanks,

Honeypots

Old 07-13-2006, 10:49 PM   #8
(male)

Fleet HB User

I also ask for topical (gel) novacaine rubbed on my gums when I have a cleaning.

And because I am cavity-prone, I have a cleaning done every 3 months.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:00 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Cinn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateboard
This is a pretty stupid question, but I keep asking myself why it has to hurt all the time. When I go to the dentist tomarrow for a cleaning and some flouride, its going to hurt like hell.

It hurts when they scrape, and it especially hurts when they start poking at my gums. Right when that happens, I start to bleed a bit. The bleeding actually embarisses me a little bit because I feel as though I'm not taking care of my gums enough.

I've had a history of dental care. I had braces and retainers for 5 years, and I'm still going! I had to get a tooth surgically removed from the roof of my mouth. From what I heard, I might actually have to get my wisdom teeth pulled out soon also.

Questions:

When I was around 6 or 7, the pain wasn't that bad. I'm brushing the same way I've been since I was taught, and I only have 1 cavity. Even though I've veen doing the same routine and checkups for the past 10 years of my life, why does the pain get worse and worse for each visit?

Why do my gums bleed during the cleaning, but not when I brush my teeth?

Is there any way at all for me to feel almost no pain when going to the dentist?

You can be numbed while you are having your teeth cleaned. The next time you have your teeth clean request that they numb you before starting the cleaning.

Closed Thread