It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #1

njgirl78 HB User
Have inlay might need root canal??!!

About a month ago my dentist gave me a porcelin inlay. It was in a tooth that i had filled several years ago with a regular filling and it had developed another cavity; my dentist said that my original dentist from several years ago had filled the cavity wrong and my current dentist had to take out the majority of my tooth to put in the inlay. He said i was lucky i didn't need a root canal.

Fast forward to now...my tooth is sensitive - it has gotten a little better from when i first had the inlay - but if i have, for example, some iceed coffee directly on the tooth...ow! My dentist said that it might go away and may take up to another month to be back to normal.

BUT, he also said that if it doesn't go away i might need a root canal!! I don't understand this at all. If i do need a root canal why didn't he notice before he did the inlay? It's upsetting and confusing - - any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Old 07-06-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
(female)

katzfriend HB User
Re: Have inlay might need root canal??!!

I think it is not that unusual to get a large filling and later ending up with a root canal. A large filling is stressful/traumatic for the tooth and sometimes causes the nerve to die. I would give it some more time and see how it feels in a few weeks. The sensitivity should get better or go away. If you get severe pain, you will need a root canal, my dentist told me I'd know if my nerve is dying, it is a pretty severe pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User

A dentist will only recommend a root canal if the tooth was ready for one and the procedure was needed. At the time the inlay was placed, you may not have been showing any signs of needing a root canal at that time. Just because the tooth is sensitive now, does not necessarily mean that you will need a root canal anytime soon, if at all. It's the dentists job to inform you on what might happen if the tooth does not settle down. At this point, the dentist is probably waiting to see if the tooth calms down on it's own or if a root canal is needed.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:52 AM   #4

njgirl78 HB User

Thanks for your reply - I guess it's "wait and see" now

Closed Thread