It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Upset with treatment

When I first started my denture adventure, I had a consultation and wanted ALL my teeth removed! The dentist told me none of the uppers could be saved but 5 on the bottom will stay. He told me that if I wanted ALL of them out to go SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

Well 3 months into this ordeal, I had two fillings on the remaining teeth and a teeth cleaning. I went in today and the NEW dentist (they change so often that you never know who your gonna have) to have yet ANOTHER cavity filled told me one of my remaining teeth would need a ROOT CANAL!!!! I said umm NO pull it, then she went on to say, well with this tooth and the other 4 needing feeling why didn't you just have them ALL pulled! I told her what the prior dentist said (he's no longer there). She asked ME why he would have said such a thing. Then she said if you want we can just pull the rest of them and give you a full partial denture!!!!!!!!! Now I have to have them pulled and wait ANOTHER 6 months on top of the 3 months already in to have my perms. This all should have been done in the beginning!

They go on about bone loss but last time I was there to have a filling they told me I have bone loss!!!!

Should I report this place?????

Thanks for allowing me to vent
Hope

Old 07-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: Upset with treatment

Hope, I feel badly for you. Having to undergo more extractions and the whole anxiety and mourning period. And then of course adjusting to new dentures. I forget how old you are but it is never a picnic.

I would ask to speak to the dentist in charge and ask to review your charts and the comments from the previous dentist. You wanted full dentures before and were willing to go that route so why did that guy want to make a lifetime project out of your mouth? Every dentist has a duty to inform you about what you may expect in the future but there is no guarantee that your bone loss would be so bad as to keep you from wearing your dentures.

Before you go outside of the practice to complain, let the person in charge know what is going on and see what they will do about it for you.

Good luck,

Sandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Sandy,

Well as to your first question I'm 38yrs old.

I don't think they have a dentist "In Charge", its one of those places with the lab onsite, they do a volume business. As to my chart I doubt that he wrote that down, no one knows what the other one is doing.

They have people that only clean your teeth and then only two people that PULL teeth, the others there do whatever needs done. Some fillings, relines, impressions. You never know who your gonna get. I will NEVER recommend this place to anyone. I'm just praying I don't have to pay for another impression and since my insurance hasn't paid anything for my partial yet this will be taken care of thru them, they pay 50 percent of my dentures.

Thanks
Hope

Old 07-07-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
(female)

NYtoTN HB User

Hope, I feel so bad for you having to go through more extractions and healing. You and I have very similar situation. I have my 6 bottom from teeth left because the dentist said they were good. I just dread having them go bad. So I can really feel your pain and frustration.
Are you sure that there is no senior dentist there? Someone should be in charge. Or if it is a chain, they should have a headquaters that you can contact. Or there should be a board that certifies dentists in your state that you can contact.
I would first tell them that they should assume the cost of the unexpected work that you now have to have. It was there bad judgement that has caused this situation. And don't assume that they haven't taken notes in your chart. I am going to Affordable Dentures, which is a kind of "denture mill" that treat a large number of people and have many different people working for them. I never get the same person everytime I go there. But I was very surprised to learn that they record everything in my chart... even what I tell them. One day the dentist came in and looked at me chart and said "I see that you said.... yada yada yada".... he was reading what I had told them at my previous visit. I never saw anyone writing anything. So they may have made notes in your chart that you are unaware of.
Whatever you decide to do, don't wait. Call them on this immediately and demand some kind of restitution.
Good luck.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Update:

I was just recieved my phone call from Allcare Dental, they scheduled me for this Monday for a REconsultation to go over my OPTIONS!!!! What are they doing! First Im told no you can't have them all out, then I'm told why don't you have them all out, now they want to look at my teeth and discuss options.

I'm really getting upset, did someone tell them gasoline is FREE!!!!!!!

Hope

Old 07-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Hope, please try to stay as positive as you can through this ordeal. In some ways you are getting that second opinion that they should have offered to you in the first place. I take it that this practice does not do exclusively denture work so clearly some of the dentists are more focused on preservation and some not.

I do often wonder why some dentists leave a few teeth in and then subject the patient to the pain and shame they will feel again months or years down the line. I know we are paying for their expertise but once in a while they need to listen to the patent.

Keep us posted,

Sandy

Old 07-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I try to stay positive but unfortunately my patience has been used up with this place. This isn't the first time I've had a problem with them, its my third. Of course this doesn't happen until AFTER they have pulled your teeth.

This place was very sweet to me when I made my appts to start my teeth, except for the Dr that said no, he wouldn't pull all my teeth. They didn't really tell me much about any of the process, but they were sweet. Now that they have my money, they still tell me nothing and are turning rude. And they keep asking ME why one said something to me, like I'd know. The staffs turn over rate is mind blowing. Since I've been there (3 months) they have gotten rid of three dental professionals (I use this term loosely) and have 3 new ones.

They have a very high volume practice, most of the people that go in there are for dentures, thats all there tv ads promote, and they have a lab onsite where they make them.

Hope

Old 07-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Hope- I know how frustrated you must be. The whole process of losing your teeth is very hard to deal with and the emotional upset can be worse than the physical pain.

There has to be someone "in charge" in those places, from what I understand, many of the "professionals" practicing in those types of places have to be under the guidance and direction of a senior licensed professional. Maybe they are recent graduates waiting to take their boards or are waiting for results.

In any event, you must stay strong and make demands, do not let them treat you like a second class citizen. Document all of your experiences with them as best you can recall. Even ask your family and friends to try to recall comments you made. There has to be someone on site who handles the complaints and you will not be the first one.

They are probably turning the cold shoulder to you because they know there is a problem and if they do not respond in a friendly manner, chances are you will take your business elsewhere. Stick with it, you have come too far to let them push you around. You may in fact need those last couple of teeth pulled and may do even better with full dentures. But let them make you an offer!

Sandy

Old 07-07-2006, 03:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know, and I'm trying.

But I wanted those teeth out in the beginning, three months later they are almost yelling at ME as to why I wanted them left in. I know I'll be better with them out, I knew this from day one. The dentist didn't see it this way. I'm 3 months away from my perms, now I will have to wait an additional 6 months.

The trips back and forth every week is getting to me. And knowing this place they probably already submitted the cavities they were going to fix yesterday, but the didn't fix anything.....just suggested pulling them.

They already charged my insurance for pulling a wisdom tooth that they decided didn't need to come out, three months later I'm still working to get that off of my insurance.

Thanks alot, I need to vent. When I'm in there I want to "go Off" but I remain FIRM but respectful. I do not allow them to push me around. I'm stuck with them but I will not allow them to treat me like trash.

Hope

Old 07-09-2006, 03:35 AM   #10
(female)

corricatt HB User

Hope, I hope you read this before Monday.

This is what I would do in your situation. Tell them you want to see the x-ray of your remaining lower teeth. This is important Hope. If YOU see that at least half of each tooth is still in bone, KEEP THEM! Have them point out to you the bone level on each of them. You can try to wiggle the teeth in a mirror to tell if they are loose or not, if not.. keep them! (having cavities in them is no reason to pull them, even if they needed root canal and/or crowns, even better cuz the partial will be made to fit specially prepared crowns)

As much as you don't want to hear this, I agree with the first dentist. Keep the teeth. Let me state a little ananlogy here. Picture a dock on a river with a bunch of boats tied to it. A flood occurs and washes out all of the supports. Next thing you know... all the boats are floating down the river. (This just happened last week in Albany NY) But what I'm telling you is that a lower denture needs teeth to anchor to. Otherwise it is not going to have anything to hold it in place. You won't have the suction with a lower like you do with the upper. The lower jaw becomes very miniscule after all the teeth have been removed. You might even be able to tell that in your own mouth with your tongue where you have teeth and where you don't.

Bottom line is, if you can keep the teeth even for 10 more years, the better off you'll be. Teeth can always be added to a partial denture as they are lost. But it's so very important to try to keep at least one tooth on each side so as to "support your dock".

I wish you ALL the best tomorrow. Let us know what happens.

P.S. take a notebook with you and write down everything they say and if they ask why the notebook? well tell them you are seeing your lawyer next!

Last edited by corricatt; 07-09-2006 at 03:37 AM.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I go in today and they tell me the other dentist had NO right to tell me I could pull them all!!!!!! They want them saved, one dentist even told me if I had a full bottom plate I would no longer be able to eat!!!!!!

I swear these people just like jerking me around. I went off but they stuck to their guns. I was told IF I wanted them all pulled I would have to sign a release form!!!!!

Why are they permitted to treat people this way????

Hope

Old 07-11-2006, 04:03 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Hope, the real thing here is they are covering their butts. One says this, one says that- it is better they stick to the original plan than change canoes mid stream. It is typical to ask a patient to sign a release when doing non reversible work such as extractions.

I would have to agree with the previous poster about looking at the x-rays- not that you will be able to read them very well but just asking for thorough explanations will help solidify the truth in your own mind. As for not being able to eat- it is just a way of them saying I told you so if you are not happy. I think too much time is spent talking negatively about dentures and not enough time spent on making them work. Part of this is the patient and part the dentist. If you go into dentures believing that life is over, it will be. You know your body better than anyone, do what feels right to you.

Sandy

Old 07-11-2006, 06:19 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well I was givin two options, pull the teeth and sign a waiver. Pull only the one that needs a root canal. She also said that IF at the end of the three months IF they still needed to come out she wouldn't charge for the extractions.

I called my aunt who works for an oral surgeon to get her opinion (figured another one couldn't hurt and she would be honest have nothing to gain from whichever decision was made) she told me if it were her she would just get the one pulled and keep the other ones.

I have a few days left to make this decision, I fear I will regret either decision I make. If I don't have them pulled and keep them and in 6 months time after my perms are made they can all go bad. OR I could get them all pulled and be unhappy and once they are pulled there is no going back.
It is scarey, either way I could have a positive outcome or a negative.

Thanks to everyone that listened to me vent. My aunt did say that the reason they want me to sign a waiver is that this particular practice got into ALOT of trouble because they were ALWAYS pulling good teeth, and it landed them into hot water.

Hope

Old 07-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Hope,

I feel your frustration. It is so hard to know who to trust when it comes to medical and dental issues. It is not good that they are throwing their hands up and putting the weight of all of the decisions on you. Making the decision about your remaining few teeth will be one of the hardest you will have to make. It is the classic catch 22. Without knowing all the details it is hard to truly advise you on which way to go.

I wear full dentures and have not missed too many meals because of them. I guess if they feel certain you can get some mileage out of the remaining teeth, they you try to save them. A partial lower would be preferable to a full lower if the mechanics are right but a full lower is not the end of the world.

Good luck and keep me posted,

Sandy

Old 07-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for all of your support Sandy.

I will take my time with this decision. I will let you know what I choose to do.

Hope

Closed Thread