It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
(female)

noodles886 HB User
Denture Problem.......HELP!!

I had my remaining lower teeth extracted in January and an immediate lower denture was made to be inserted the same day. Problem was that it didn't fit at all. I had to go home that day with open extractions and bleeding. Needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper. The dentist took new impressions, the lab adjusted the denture and it still wasn't right. This has been going on for over 6 mos. and I can't wear it to eat. It's at the point where I can wear if I'm just going out shopping, etc. but if I'm going to be anywhere where I have eat, I can't. As soon as I start eating, the denture seems to tighten up and the pain is unbearable. Plus I can see that the right side of the denture seems higher. The dentist kept saying I was wrong; that the denture was level. Now he's saying that the two back teeth on my upper denture need to be replaced to adjust my bite. I think it's more than just that and don't want to spend $170 to replace 2 upper teeth if it won't fix the problem. The dental lab person was at dentist one day and even said I was right...the one side was higher and some of the bottom teeth need to be angled slightly back.
But they want me to have the 2 upper teeth replaced first. I'm at my wit's end....most times I don't wear the lower denture (people can't even tell) because I'm happier that way and more comfortable. The other day I wore the lower denture for 5 hours and during that time I ate a little. When the pain and tightness started, I removed it and my gums all across the bottom were very red. I might add that because it's a lower denture, I need adhesive to keep it in. I've tried using all different amounts of adhesive and the tightness still persists. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to tell my dentist that the lab should "eat" the cost of this denture and start from scratch but I don't think he'll agree. Sorry this is so long but I had a lot to explain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
(female)

Taobeemr HB User
Re: Denture Problem.......HELP!!

Oh my God, what a horrible ordeal! I don't understand. If they don't fit right, they should adjust it at no cost!! My temporaries were too big (I have a small mouth) so when I returned a week later, my dentist gave me the smallest one they had. Before I left, they grinded (ground) down the high spots, until I told them it was better. Later, when I was home, I found another "high spot" that was irritating my gums. So, I used a dremel and now it fits great. My dentist said it was fine with her that I saved a trip.

Six months? The Dentist took the impressions, right? Sounds like either the impressions were wrong or the lab screwed up. If no satisfaction, get another opinion. Please keep us posted.

Anne

Old 07-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
(female)

NYtoTN HB User

Why should ypu have to pay extra to get a good fit? If the lab did the job right in the beginning the dentures would fit you. If they don't fit. it's their problem to fix it and not yours. Also, why should you remove or change teeth in the top denture when it fits perfectly fine. It seems that the problem is that the lab didn't fit your bottom dentures correctly. You paid for a perfect fit. Now it's up to them. You shouldn't have to pay more when the original price should have covered a correct fit.
My bottom denture didn't fit. And the dentist kept insisting that I was wrong. After 2 months I saw another dentist in the same office who fixed the problem. I also had then remove the back tooth on each side because I couldn't stand the feeling of having a mouthful of plastic. Removing those back teeth from the denture made a big improvement in te fit and feel.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:55 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

Sorry you are having such a rough time and not getting any response from your dentist.

Someone told me that when full dentures are involved, they should be made as a set. For some reason, since the lower jaw is the movable one, they never quite mesh right with the uppers. Depending on how long ago you had the upper made, it might be out of alignment to your lower jaw or just worn out. Considering how long you have been suffering, it might be time to get another opinion!

If your gums are as inflamed as you describe, something is wrong!

Sandy

Closed Thread