It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
(male)

popsandfriends HB User
Braces and way of Life....advice needed

Hello,
Ive had my braces on for almost two years now (august 22nd) and am nearing the deadline. And lately the ortho has been pushing me to use elastics on one side. Here is my predicament....

My Jaw is crooked, and slants (not so dramatically this way : \ This causes a small overbite, and my top teeth arent aligned with my bottom teeth. I dont smile alot, infact ive grinned most of my life. People who see me everyday, do not know I wear braces, because my lips cover them. Im not a toothy person, and never wil be because of my facial structure. If later in my life (certainly not now) I wanted to get my jaw fixed, elastics now would dampen my efforts later. The orthodontist (and my folks) are tryign to fix my teeth to my jaw, and I wantto fix my JAW later, and just straighten my teeth now.

I feel that nobody takes me seriously, even though im almost 18.... When i tell the ortho I plan on fixing my jaw he laughs at me and says I wouldnt because I dont like pain. He is right, right niw I couldnt handle it, i stress over everything, but later in life I will be able to do it. Thursday is my next check up, and Im goign to tell him, no I wont use the elastics. He will threaten me with the Metal pnumatic pump, whch is permanent. He needs my grandmothers (guardian) permission to put it in, and she is siding with him. I feel very strongly that I should be able to live my live in peace, the way I want it, because you only live once! This should me my decision, and the power just seems to be taken away from me, I feel like I cannot stand up for myself. All this stress is getting to me, I am afraid they will make me wear the pump or the elastics and I couldnt goto school with them on, too ashamed....I just want to be happy, and this is NOT helping.

I need some advice....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Lance0204 HB User
Re: Braces and way of Life....advice needed

well they have to listen to you on this one. its your mouth and its not them that will be going through the discomfort of new appliances. if you feel like straightening the teeth is enough, then just do that. i was in a similar situation. it sounds as if you're not 100% happy with your teeth/jaw though. for this reason i think you should fix it now and get it over with. the problem with waiting to fix the jaw is that its likely that you'll have to wear braces again especially if you wait 'till you get older and you'll have to wear them longer...not to mention the additional costs.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:30 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User

Get your teeth and jaw fixed now. Your teeth are not permanently set in your jaw yet and your jaw is still pretty pliable at the age of 18. The longer you wait to have surgery, the much more difficult it will be on you both physically and mentally. Your mouth is really not done growing yet and if you get your jaw and teeth straightened now, you will be much happier than if you wait to do the procedure even just 2 years from now.

Wearing elastics now, won't hinder any future work on your jaw or your teeth. Elastics will help the orthodontist correct the problem with your teeth and align them the best that can be done without jaw surgery. Not wearing the elastics may hinder the chance of the teeth becoming straight and functioning properly, thus causing problems down the road.

Yes, it is your mouth and you need to be able to have input on the descisions made, but you also need to be educated on what may and may not happen if you choose to do one option over another. Orthodontic treatment works in stages and if one stage is hindered or needs altered, it will have an impact on the success of your orthodontic treatment.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

stevie_23 HB Userstevie_23 HB User

Hmm...you should try and find out as much information on all this stuff as you possibly can, so you know exactly why you want to do what you want to do in terms of the jaw/teeth, etc...and yeah, you're 18 which is old enough to have control over your own body and treatment.

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2006, 03:48 AM   #5
(female)

corricatt HB User

You said that you stress over everything now but you'll be able to deal with things better later in life? And just what makes you think that when you're older you'll have LESS STRESS? Please, the older you get the more stress you'll have.

Furthermore, Jennifer is right about the growth of your jaw and you should really listen to those who know more about this type of treatment than you. Yes, it is YOUR mouth, typical teenager retort.. but professionals know what they are talking about and you should listen with an open mind. If you are in the custody of someone else, and not totally responsible for yourself.. that would mean that that someone else would also be responsible for the BILLS. Therefore, if you get your surgery done before you turn 18 you won't have to pay for it. You would be prescribed pain killers after your surgery, so if PAIN is the reason for not getting such an important procedure done now (while you're still developing) then that's not a good excuse.

Not what you wanted to hear, sorry. Perhaps you can find a message board for teens rights? Good luck.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:37 PM   #6
(female)

A diffrent kind HB User

I know u might not want to hear what i am going to say but if you want those braces off as soon as u can use the elastics. Tell them u want the clear ones and not the color ones color elastics are more notable. I have been earing the elastics for a year and i hate them but hey it will help the prosses speed up i hope this helps you!!!

Closed Thread