It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
(female)

LINDA5ONE4 HB User
Any one have multiple crowns on molar teeth?

I was wondering if anyone has a lot or all of the molar teeth capped
and how long these will last? If I am 40 now and get crowns on
the molars can I keep these for the rest of my life with really good care?
even if they need to be changed that is ok, just preparing myself for what can happen? If there will be a good success rate for having quite a few caps? and do the front teeth all stay straight those are all fine just the molars have the large fillings.......

Thanks for your replies

Last edited by LINDA5ONE4; 07-11-2006 at 05:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Any one have multiple crowns on molar teeth?

I am probably not the best person to respond since I have tmj issues, but I was ok with most of my bottom molars crowned. They felt and worked just like natural teeth. However, they took quite a bit of wear from the upper molars and had to be replaced after about 7-8 yrs. Around the same time the large fillings of couple of upper molars needed to be replaced and I was talked into crowning them as well. Within a few mos I noticed my bite was changing, I had tightness between the crowns and a few yrs later I developed the tmj. Maybe instead of doing them all at the same time I should have had them done one at a time to make sure my bite did not change.

Crowns should definitely last a very long time if done properly and they will probably feel most natural if they are done from impressions of your natural teeth and not teeth previously crowned. I know most drs will recommend a root canal first but I have had crowns both with and without root canals - assuming the tooth structure remains undamaged during the prepping of the tooth - you should not need a root canal - unless it is already damaged due to a deep filling or fracture, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2006, 09:42 AM   #3
(female)

LINDA5ONE4 HB User

I was told that the filling does not come out of the tooth they just put the cap over the tooth .......seems like no big deal ......

Old 07-12-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
(female)

corricatt HB User

If you are really concerned with how long the crown will last, like Jennifer said, your oral hygiene is key. The best choice and longest lasting type of crown is gold. Porcelain can chip and also cause wear to opposing teeth. Gold is most hygienic meaning it will attract less plaque than porcelain. Also, gold is most "tissue friendly", as many people have metal allergies. Often times a filling will come out of the tooth after it's been prepared for the crown, whether it be during the impression for the lab or for making a temporary crown, without sufficient tooth structure the fillings may not stay put.
The tooth has to be drilled to remove enamel for the crown to fit onto it. The same goes for any filling material that is the outside of the tooth (replacing where enamel was). So basically the entire outside of the tooth is removed, an impression of that is taken and sent off to have the crown made at a dental laboratory. This takes time. A temporary acrylic crown is temporarily cemented on in the meantime.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
(female)

LINDA5ONE4 HB User

what happens if the filling falls out during the prep they put another one in ?

Old 07-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
(female)

corricatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINDA5ONE4
what happens if the filling falls out during the prep they put another one in ?

hmmmmm... well, since you asked... if there is any way that another filling will adhere and stay put then that's what would be done. If there is no sensitivity then the dentist would just try to crown what he/she has to work with. Other possible ways to save the tooth would be to do a "crown lengthening" where tissue is cut back to expose more tooth, then crown it. OR root canal it and do a cast post and core. This would give the dentist the ability to build up the tooth and crown it. Both of those options would still be cheaper than pulling the tooth and doing a 3 unit bridge... which is kinda like multiple crowns but connected to each other.

Some dentists still do their own posts rather than cast posts made by a lab, but they are as ideal as a fabricated (made to fit) posts.

Old 07-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
(female)

LINDA5ONE4 HB User

so it is possible to keep crowns on teeth for the most part with good care?
I am scared of the bridge thing.... Thanks for your replies ...you sound like your talking from experience...
But sounds like you still have the crowns...

Last edited by LINDA5ONE4; 07-12-2006 at 04:33 PM.

Closed Thread