It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
(male)

Bostonranger HB User
Crooked Tooth

hello all,

recently i've noticed that one of my front teeth is slightly crooked. Its sort of looks like its pushed inward slightly. Its not extremely noticable when seen from the front but definitly noticable when looked at from the side. I've decided to put an end to this problem, but id like some information before i go to the dentist (i dont trust mine so much). What would be a suitable solution? Some of my friends have said i might need braces or a retainer, is that true? even if its one tooth i need to fix?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Crooked Tooth

Many, many, many yrs ago I had an accident which left me with one front tooth slightly pushed in. Back then I was told the only way to fix it was with braces. The braces resulted in a recessed chin which was then corrected with orthognathic surgery. Now I have severe tmj and wish I could go back and undo everything. At least my crooked teeth did not hurt and if I posed a certain way they looked OK, even nice in pictures.

If it bothers you that much look into bonding to build the tooth out or veneers or something similar since they do less damage to a tooth's structure. A crown will not look as natural. Try not to be talked into braces (especially if it requires removal of bicuspids) unless the problem of the tooth turning inward is due to overcrowding of the teeth or erupting wisdom teeth, even then maybe a retainer to prevent further movement is all that is required. Try not to do anything that will permanently change your bite. Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
(male)

Bostonranger HB User

yikes, im also reluctant to get braces, especially now with your bad experience with them. maybe the best idea is to suck it up. You mentioned bonding and veneers, what are those methods exactly?

thank you very much for your time and comments

Old 07-11-2006, 11:45 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User

Depends on why the tooth is moving. Did you bump the tooth? Is the tooth loose in the socket? Are there any teeth missing next to it? Is there a crown on the opposing tooth? Are there any teeth missing on the arch and other teeth are beginning to shift?

If it is just one tooth that is moving, a dentist will most likely not recommend braces. It's a lot of work for just moving one tooth. A retainer may be made to help get the tooth back in line.

Bonding refers to placing a composite, (white filling) on the tooth and making the tooth appear to be even with the other teeth.

Veneers are almost like a crown that fits on the tooth, but veneers only cover the front part of the tooth. They are made to look like natural teeth and are either made from porcelain or resin. Veneers are cemented on the tooth and improve the overall appearance of a tooth.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:55 AM   #5
(male)

Bostonranger HB User

Well i didn't bump it or anything. I believe its something that just happened over time. There aren't anyteeth missing around it and there aren't any crowns. Fortunatly its not pushing any other teeth but it is relatively close to my other front tooth. You said that a retainer maybe used, is that the item that is used on the roof of the mouth? how would that work?

thanks for the info jen

Closed Thread