It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Black marks on denture

Yippee a post that has NOTHING to do with me

My friend of mine has a bottom denture, she has this problem with a black line running down her teeth. Its between the teeth where its connected. Its very embarrasing to her, she says it looks like she has something stuck between her teeth.

She has only had them for 4 years, she also has an upper denture that are perfect. She went back to the dentist that made them, and he said its from smoking!!! ( I totally disagree with this, yes it could stain all the teeth yellow but not leave marks like this between her teeth) She asked for him to make her another lower denture and he said NO, she was going to pay for it....she didn't ask for a free one.

Is there something she can do for this? And is there a reason this would be happening?

Thanks

Hope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2006, 10:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User
Re: Black marks on denture

I don't think that would be from smoking either. I smoke and mine sometimes get a yellow tint to them. But it does come off when I soak them. Has she tried any of the cleaners to see if it will come off? Why would he not make her another denture?

Cristie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2006, 12:18 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User

She does not need to have a new denture made. She can take them back to the dentist and ask the dentist to send them to the lab to have them professionally cleaned. Some dentists will run them through an ultrasonic cleaner while you wait to try and loosen the debris and stains. If the dentist or hygienist can't clean them while you wait, they can be sent to a lab to be cleaned.

The black lines can be caused by a number of things. It's mostly just stain due to natural wear of the dentures. Might be from smoking, might be from foods or drinks she consumes, might be tartar build-up, and/or a combination of factors.

If she soaks her dentures in a denture solution and the black stain does not seem to be going away, take the denture back to the dentist. She should not take any sharp instrument, steel wool, or scouring pad and try and remove the stain herself. This can cause damage to the denture. Do not soak the denture in bleach or any household cleaning products to try and remove the stain. These chemicals will ruin the denture. Do not use anything abrasive on the denture. Anything abrasive will scratch the denture which will lead to more stains and other problems with the denture.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

JenniferE

I told her to soak them in the tablets, then dip her tooth brush into it and brush after they have soaked.

Her dentist wont do anything!!!! He told her that theres nothing he can do and he won't make a new one.

It seems my place isn't the only one who doesn't care about their patients.

Hope

Old 04-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
(male)

OTRPU HB User

I'd get another opinion. Her dentist should have at least offered to have them professionally cleaned. Sounds like he was having a bad day.
Cheers,
OTRPU

Closed Thread