It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
(male)

Robert789 HB User
Dentures for $11,500???

I had all my teeth extracted and complete upper and lower dentures made over two years ago. I had my mandibular tori removed to fit the lower denture properly. I've had relines, but I'm just not happy with my current dentures. They look okay, but I need to use lots of "glue" everyday to keep them in place so they don't get loose and make me gag because I have to do alot of speaking in my work for training, public speaking and presentations and my work days usually last 10+ hours. My current dentures were unfortunately "low end" (about $1,200) because the cost of everything including extractions, surgeries, etc. at the time was over $7,000. Now I'm looking to get a new set of better dentures. I met with a cosmetic dentist today who is trying to sell me on a "custom" set of dentures for $11,500!!!! He was trying to upsell me to mini-implants for around $30,000 and permanent implants at about $60,000. I've been looking on the web at various options including denturists in some USA states and Canada, some "network" denture places and it seems like I could probably fly somewhere and get new teeth for so, so much less than Colorado dentists want to charge. My last upper reline in Colorado was $450 and that was reduced from $650 after I complained profusely because they failed to tell me upfront what it was going to cost! The reline was costing more that the denture! Anyone have suggestions? Ideally, I'd like a new pair of dentures done in the same day or two. I just want them to fit, not make me gag when they get loose, look good and not have to cost me a second mortgage or raid my kids college fund! I'd be willing to fly somewhere and get it done if the cost works out. But, $11,500 for a set of dentures??? Am I crazy, or should I at least ask for dinner first before I get screwed . . . .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User
Re: Dentures for $11,500???

Wow! That seems pretty high to me. I only paid about 1,800.00 for my teeth to be pulled and a full set of dentures. I know I got a pretty good deal talking to others here, but I think you could get much cheaper if you looked around. Good luck!

Cristie

Old 07-11-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
(female)

Taobeemr HB User

Try Affordable Dentures- They have offices all over the country. If you access their website, you can find the closest one near you. I have gone through your experience, and when the Dental School here said at least $20 thousand and three years of work- implants, etc. I looked around and went with AF. Most of my root canals and crowns were "going bad", and one canal was dangerously close to my sinus cavity. About $30K over many years, all in trying to save my teeth. So... at AF I had all teeth extracted on top for $65 each, whether it was a molar, partial tooth, whatever. On the board, I have seen where some dentists are charging extra for "complicated" extractions? After my gums are healed, i am having six mini-implants placed, and then the premium set attached- no worries about slipping. Also, On my lowers, I was missing two eye teeth and AF has already inserted the mini implants, and next week I will get the two crowns to screw ion. The total cost? $4400. Heck, my old dentist wanted $4K for just a bridge! BTW, relines are free, part of the package. So look around!

Old 07-12-2006, 04:11 AM   #4
(female)

corricatt HB User

Dinner first for sure! But they may want you to pay for that too!!!!

A good denture should take more than a week to make.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
(male)

Robert789 HB User

Thanks so much for the replies and input. I am checking into a multitude of alternatives as the result of your comments. This forum is a really good thing!

I fully appreciate the need to be a really smart and informed consumer. As I think about it, the cosmetic dentist trying to sell and upsell me with the free consult, tour, beverages, plasma televisions at each station, free valet parking, neck wraps, foot massager, success pictures, champagne on completion, etc. etc. was really into the marketing. Don't get me wrong, it was a wonderful spa-like place with all the perks and amenities and a great, well-trained staff, but I left feeling like I'd just been looking to buy a luxury car (especially at those prices!) The same marketing tactics and strategies and god bless them I actually respect what they have researched, planned and implemented with their focus in sales and marketing. But, I'm a highly experienced business man and now fully understand exactly what they sell. Not that I wasn't getting sucked into the whole thing, I was! It was heavenly! Fortunately my business/financial sense kicked back in and I stalled them with the need to get back to work for an appointment and the need to check my calendar and got out of there before I obligated myself financially. But, I was really close to finalizing the deal. That's actually a tribute to their well planned marketing strategies and business success.

That said, I really wonder how many people end up being "sold", closing the deal, signing on the dotted line and end up paying exhorbitant prices. Obviously, a great many as is evident by the huge and luxurious offices. If you have all the money you need and can afford the prices and need/want all the perks, then I guess it's okay. As I reflect, the number of visits were estimated at 4-5. If they are an average of 1 hour each and the rest are lab fees, the overhead/profit is absolutely huge. I read on a website that a great set of dentures should cost no more than $500-$700. I'm not sure how true that is but I'd certainly be willing to give up all the perks and amenities to get down around that range. There are much better things in life to spend that margin than on than a neck wrap or TV while I'm getting impressions done.

Anyway, I'll try and stop my rant. I just want to say one last thing - be smart consumers. I know I will after this experience. The dental/denture arena is really bizarre especially since there are no really good dental plans available. Mine has a max of $1,500 per year, but my denture related work only covers at 50%. I need to make every dollar count. If you are in the same position (or worse with no insurance), "shop till you drop" and don't sign anything that obligates you financially at the consultation visit! Go home, think about it and research, research, research. It's well worth the extra time and effort. Okay, I'll stop now!

Closed Thread