It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
(female)

laurasimko HB User
Unhappy pulling a bad tooth

i have a large molar in the back of my mouth that is going to be pulled in two days....problem is there is still pain which means there is still infection...can tooth be pulled? ive heard that the infection can go into my blood stream if it is still pulled...im nervous but need to get the thing out it is KILLING ME!

Last edited by laurasimko; 07-12-2006 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
(female)

corricatt HB User
Re: pulling a bad tooth

Were you prescribed antibiotics? If not, call your dentist and ask to get some in you at least 24 hours prior to your appt. But take the full week or 10 days worth!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2006, 01:30 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User
Re: pulling a bad tooth

Why do you think there is an infection there? Were you told the tooth and/or gum tissue is infected? Is there a drainage area present? Do you get a bad taste/foul odor in your mouth? Does the tooth feel 'squishy' in the socket?

I'm just asking because sometimes decay in the teeth can cause a severe toothache, but not necessarily an infection.

If it's a small infection and one that your body can fight, the dentist will still pull the tooth. The infection will begin to clear once the tooth has been removed and there is little chance that the infection will spread to your blood stream and cause problems.

If the infection has become worse and too large for your body to fight on it's own, the dentist will prescribe antibiotics for you to take for 7-10 days. These large infections are the ones to be concerned about entering your blood stream and causing problems. This is why antibiotics are prescribed and the extraction is rescheduled until the infection is either gone or under control.

Your health is a factor as well. If you are diabetic, have problems with your immune system, have gone through radiation or chemo, and things like that, can affect how well your body fights infection. Depending on your current health, the doctor may prescribe antibiotics for a small infection and might opt to reschedule the extraction.

Closed Thread