It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
(female)

Chef Elizabeth HB User
Unable to deaden

Has anyone ever had the problem of dentists not being able to deaden the mouth for dental work? Why would that happen, what could cause it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2006, 11:55 PM   #2
(female)

Cheyenne1 HB User
Re: Unable to deaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Elizabeth
Has anyone ever had the problem of dentists not being able to deaden the mouth for dental work? Why would that happen, what could cause it?
Boy O boy CE I got this in spades! The answer is yes this happens...alot.
Here is something I learned just recently while visiting that...that....nasty place they call a dental office! (can ya tell how much I hate that place)
I have a really hard time with my left side so I need a person who knows how to get the nerve. They actually have to start on me before everyone else but the thing I found out was this...eat before you go. If you are on an empty stomache it is harder to numb the mouth for some reason. if they dont get you numb at all, they havent hit the nerve at all. Sometimes the nerve is deeper than most peoples which is my case. If they cant numb you I would suggest you find another office to go to cause if they cant do this??? I dont even want to think about that!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2006, 12:37 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User

The numbing solution is injected into the jawbone as close to the nerve as possible, without touching the nerve. The dentist will feel around your jaw for 'landmarks' on the jaw and facial structure to get a rough idea where the nerve lies in the jaw. A panoramic x-ray can also help. Sometimes, the nerve may lie at a different angle and or deeper in the bone than what is common, thus making it more difficult to numb the area.

The numbing solution that is used can make a difference too. Some solutions work better on some people than on others. Most dentists have at least 2 different types of solutions that they can try.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
(female)

Cheyenne1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferE
The numbing solution is injected into the jawbone as close to the nerve as possible, without touching the nerve. The dentist will feel around your jaw for 'landmarks' on the jaw and facial structure to get a rough idea where the nerve lies in the jaw. A panoramic x-ray can also help. Sometimes, the nerve may lie at a different angle and or deeper in the bone than what is common, thus making it more difficult to numb the area.

The numbing solution that is used can make a difference too. Some solutions work better on some people than on others. Most dentists have at least 2 different types of solutions that they can try.
Thank you Jennifer for that! The office I go to does have 2 different solutions but neither one has worked on me to the dismay of my dentist and she is well trained in that particular field (not too sure what the correct name is ) Last time I had to go through with the procedure with slight pain because I had had too many shots that day to go back and start all over again! Needless to say I am here no worse for wear! lol!

Last edited by Cheyenne1; 07-13-2006 at 10:07 AM.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
(female)

Chef Elizabeth HB User

Thanks for the info....it helps

Old 07-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
(female)

tbomp HB User

This will sound really stupid but are you a redhead? Studies show redheads need more anesthesia than others. I myself am, and woke up during foot surgery.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
(female)

Chef Elizabeth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomp
This will sound really stupid but are you a redhead? Studies show redheads need more anesthesia than others. I myself am, and woke up during foot surgery.
No, I'm not a redhead....but no dentist has ever been able to deaden my mouth, I've had as many as 10 injections at one time and it didn't work. Also benzocaine in cream medicines don't work. I also had a doctor try to deaden me from the waist down for a c-section and that didn't work either. I guess I just don't respond to the caines....benzo, mylo, zylo, or any other ending in caine.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #8
(female)

Cheyenne1 HB User

OMG Elizabeth! Seriously on the c section?! Wow girl I feel for you! This has got to be a record of some sort! Someone has got to have a answer to this for your sake. If I get anywhere near 8 of those shots my heart cant take it. They need to find something else that helps us Im tellin ya!
And as for the redhead thing... they feel less pain than a blonde or brunette is the study I read. although I have a high tolerance for pain and Im a brunette....so much for studies lol

Closed Thread