It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
(male)

deckman HB User
What does a dry socket look like?

I've tried in without success to find pictures on the internet.

This is Friday. On Monday I had a troublesome upper molar that had abscessed removed. The OS had a difficult time, the tooth kept breaking. I developed what I can only describe as a very soft whitish sack extending from the tooth hole. It seemed unusual, but caused no pain. But it worried me enough to call the OS and schedule a follow-up Thursday. That morning, while in the shower the sack must have developed a hole and some blood came out. When I saw the OS he said it was healing well. Later that day the tissue that was the sack came out. It was thick in consistency with blood on what was the inside the hole portion of it. I'm now concerned that was the blood clot. I can see (with the help of a mirror) inside the hole and the bottom looks kind of whitish/brown. I spoke to my dentist and he told me to bite down on gauze for an hour. When he called me back he asked if there was any blood at all on the gauze; there was a little. He said that was good, that I probably didn't lose the entire clot and it was trying to re-clot. This morning the OS called me and he said it will probably be OK and will heal from the edges.

With everything I've read hear about dry socket, I'm a little scared that what I'll be facing.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JenniferE HB User
Re: What does a dry socket look like?

You don't have a dry socket. If you did have a dry socket, you would be in severe pain.

What most likely happened is, just the surface portion of the blood clot came off. There is still enough of the blood clot and any gum tissue that started to form left so that it is covering the bone tissue underneath.

It's been over a week since the extraction and a good portion of the tissue would already be healing over. You're at most risk of developing a dry socket within the first few days of an extraction.

Since you had a complicated extraction, the hole is probably pretty deep. Rinse the area with a water pic. Brush your teeth, but not too hard in that particular area. Because the hole is deep, it will take a little longer for the gum tissue to fill back in. This is normal. The area still may bleed slightly as it heals. The main thing to remember is not to stick anything in the hole, including your tongue. Rinse gently with a water pic to remove debris, but don't take a tooth pic and try and remove food.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread