It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
(female)

DarlaDarla HB User
Bad Breath After Tooth Extraction

Hello. I had my upper molar (not wisdom tooth) extracted on Thursday, it has been about 48 hours since the extraction. I do not have any pain, but my breath smells bad. Is this normal? The tooth was extracted because there was an abscess. The dentist did not give me antibiotics and I am worried that I could get an infection. How would I know if I were developing an infection?
Also, I believe there may have been a slight perforation into my sinus as this morning there was a small amount of blood when I used a kleenex on my nose. (It also could have been from dry weather so I am not sure)

Are there things I can do to prevent infection? Does an odor coming from the extraction site necessarily mean infection or could it be from the blood ect.

Thank you!

Darla

Old 07-15-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
(female)

katzfriend HB User
Re: Bad Breath After Tooth Extraction

The bad smell is most likely from small food particles that are caught in the extraction hole. Try rinsing a lot with saltwater, that will hopefully dislodge anything caught and also help the healing process. I had my wisdom teeth pulled and had a problem with this for a couple of weeks (food getting stuck and then bad breath).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread