It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 10:58 PM   #1
(female)

JSo HB User
Unhappy Electric toothbrushes

Hi everybody

New to this board and cannot believe I have just found it. I am 39 and have had problems with my teeth for as long as I can remember, (fillings, crowns etc). Have always visited a dentist regularly and the hygenist. I developed periodontal disese in my last pregnancy and now have it under control. My problem is to control this and gum recession which I also have I purchased an electric toothbrush. All is well in my mouth now and gums seem pink and healthy, and my last dentist visit all was well. As I want to keep my teeth for as long as possible I am very thorough with my oral routine, morning and night. However on browsing this board I noticed a post that states an electric toothbrush is not good for receeding gums and can actually make them worse. I thought i was doing the best thing for my teeth!!!!!!!!!!!!!. HELP.....can someone please tell me if this is the case with electric toothbrushes. I own a sonicare and was delighted with the results and that it removes plaque under the gumline. What procedure morning and night do I need to do to keep recession at bay.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Frantic with worry that i have made things worse....

Thankyou for reading
JSo

Old 07-19-2006, 01:10 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User
Re: Electric toothbrushes

I am interested to know this my self.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

Hi,

I am concerned. I was told by my dentist that I must use an electric toothbrush for gum disease. It does remove the plaque from under the gum line.

Can you ask your dentist about what you read or the hygenist? I hope this isn't true.

Keep us posted.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
(female)

lizzy21 HB User

Hi. My fiance has just developed periodontal disease as well, and our dentist told him to buy a sonicare toothbrush b/c that was the only way (other than surgery) to really help with the problem. So, I don't think you are doing any damage, but it would be best to check with your dentist to make sure.

Good luck!

Liz

Old 08-04-2006, 03:46 AM   #5

toothbud HB User

When people buy an oscilating type toothbrush, (like an oral-b) they sometimes get into the bad habit of being aggresive with it, or holding it in one place for a while. Keep in mind it is oscilating several thousand times per minute. This can abraid the gums, and the teeth as well. Oral-b toothbrushes have been shown in some studies to slightly outperform the sonicare in plaque removal, but the sonicare has been shown in other studies to be better for gums and getting between the teeth. SO I guess it depends on what you need. sonicare is not an oscillating brush, it vibrates. So it won't abraid your gums like a spin-brush type will. But if used correctly, neither will cause problems.

In general, don't mash the brush down, and just keep it moving, and you'll be fine. Soni-care is a great product for gum disease. Keep brushing and flossing!!

Old 08-04-2006, 04:25 AM   #6
(female)

JSo HB User

Hi toothbud

Thankyou for that informative information....I do try so hard and just wnat to do the best with my oral hygiene and you have put my mind at rest that I am doing ok. Thankyou

Closed Thread