It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
(female)

daffy93 HB User
Do you believe your dentist?

I went to the dentist this afternoon. My dentist thinks I am getting too much stress from my jaw to be sore. He also thinks I should have a night guard to release my muscle in my mouth and jaw. He can tell my mouth is flattening down from grinding my teeth. He thinks it not from my wisdom teeth. He told me just see how my jaw feels in couple of weeks like my ENT doctor told me.

My mom thinks I shouldnít get a night guard and she doesnít believe what the dentist told me today. She said they just want to make money. I donít know who I should believe. I just spend $2,500 on my hearing aids. The night guard cost around $400. I have to go back in September for my teeth cleaning. When I talk to my mom with all the doctor and dentist stuffs, she thinks she doesnít believe them. I just canít talk to her about it much. Do you believe what the dentist tell you if there something wrong with your teeth?

Old 07-25-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Do you believe your dentist?

Only when it makes sense or concurs with my own opinion to be honest. Since I have had severe tmj for a few years now it sounds like what he is trying to do is to prevent you from developing future tmj problems and is seeing signs on your teeth (they wear down) that you are grinding them either unknowingly during the day or in your sleep and this can cause tmj problems if left untreated. If you aware of any soreness or stiffness in your jaw, pain or tenderness in the temple area or around the ears when you wake in the morning or get frequent headaches or migraines, or your jaw feels tired occassionally after speaking or chewing or you are noticing your teeth changing either in their alignment or how they fit together when closed (your bite) or even an increase in sensitivity to hot or cold or hear a popping or clicking noise when opening your mouth wide, then I would take his advice. These are all other symptoms of tmj. Uusually however the first signs are wearing down of the teeth that are being grinded and jaw fatigue which sometimes feels like neuralgia or arthitiris or a dull ache. Sometimes medical or dental insurance will cover some of the cost since it is a preventative oral appliance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread